Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Craft Beer Release 2014

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

2 more days to meet their re-re-revised 'late december' date!
spinrsx wrote:
it's funny - the lcbo has revised this list from 'mid december' to 'late december' for some beers. They can't even meet their own revised timelines. (And I'm sure it will get revised again to say 'Early January')

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i went to the 'BO on Laird.
bought some stuff, including a Sammiclaus.
guy couldn't scan it.
manually searched for the product and selected something that didn't look right to me. i told him and he ignored me.
$2.50 a bottle, he said.
"um..on second thought, i'm going to grab 2 more. thanks."

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

atomeyes wrote:i went to the 'BO on Laird.
bought some stuff, including a Sammiclaus.
guy couldn't scan it.
manually searched for the product and selected something that didn't look right to me. i told him and he ignored me.
$2.50 a bottle, he said.
"um..on second thought, i'm going to grab 2 more. thanks."
Hah! Sounds like me a few years ago grabbing 4 pks of Brooklyn Monster for 3.65 each! Then I grabbed four more packs and bolted out of there like a thief.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

lol, they revised the dates again to january

re-re-re-revised now. http://hellolcbo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2262
spinrsx wrote:2 more days to meet their re-re-revised 'late december' date!
spinrsx wrote:
it's funny - the lcbo has revised this list from 'mid december' to 'late december' for some beers. They can't even meet their own revised timelines. (And I'm sure it will get revised again to say 'Early January')

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Where the F is Peche? The BO has really perfected the art of anticlimactic availability. To hell with them and their redundant lab!

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Lukie wrote:Where the F is Peche? The BO has really perfected the art of anticlimactic availability. To hell with them and their redundant lab!
It doesn't have to go through the lab again does it? It's been in the LCBO and approved, I would assume that any subsequent shipments wouldn't need lab testing again. But I am assuming something about the LCBO.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

cfrancis wrote:
Lukie wrote:Where the F is Peche? The BO has really perfected the art of anticlimactic availability. To hell with them and their redundant lab!
It doesn't have to go through the lab again does it? It's been in the LCBO and approved, I would assume that any subsequent shipments wouldn't need lab testing again. But I am assuming something about the LCBO.
why wouldn't it?
the beer you stand in is not the beer you step in.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

cfrancis wrote:It doesn't have to go through the lab again does it? It's been in the LCBO and approved, I would assume that any subsequent shipments wouldn't need lab testing again. But I am assuming something about the LCBO.
Every shipment undergoes lab testing. They usually pull a few bottles at random. If there's anything wrong with those samples they'll deny/destroy the whole shipment.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

biegaman wrote:
cfrancis wrote:It doesn't have to go through the lab again does it? It's been in the LCBO and approved, I would assume that any subsequent shipments wouldn't need lab testing again. But I am assuming something about the LCBO.
Every shipment undergoes lab testing. They usually pull a few bottles at random. If there's anything wrong with those samples they'll deny/destroy the whole shipment.
Oh fuck that noise.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

cfrancis wrote:
biegaman wrote:
Oh fuck that noise.
Eh. You'd be surprised - shipments do show up occasionally with bottles contaminated with cleaning fluids or broken glass particles. It does happen. But, overall, I agree. It's a bit excessive.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

biegaman wrote:
AND light the brewery on fire
AND shut off the water supply to the surrounding community.
:D
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Any sightings of Black Betty asides from Dufferin?
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

King/ Spadina had it over a week ago. not sure now.

vandutchy

Post by vandutchy »

sprague11 wrote:Any sightings of Black Betty asides from Dufferin?
Cooper Street LCBO has it on the shelves as I saw it at lunch. Fair warning though it was brewed/bottled in September and looked to have a fair bit of sediment on the bottom.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

biegaman wrote:
cfrancis wrote:
biegaman wrote: Every shipment undergoes lab testing. They usually pull a few bottles at random. If there's anything wrong with those samples they'll deny/destroy the whole shipment.
Oh fuck that noise.
Eh. You'd be surprised - shipments do show up occasionally with bottles contaminated with cleaning fluids or broken glass particles. It does happen. But, overall, I agree. It's a bit excessive.
The entire ritual is pretty absurd.

Hey LCBO, how about a reasonable compromise? If you receive goods from a reputable brewery, by all means pluck a few random bottles and test them to your heart's content, BUT, do not hold up the entire shipment in the mean time, especially if it's from a brewery you have already tested umpteen times in the past. My gosh, daily food staples on our tables aren't scrutinized as closely.
Last edited by Lukie on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.