Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

October 22nd and 23rd at Volo: Mark Your Calendars

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Wheatsheaf

October 22nd and 23rd at Volo: Mark Your Calendars

Post by Wheatsheaf »

It's official!

I walked by Volo this afternoon and saw the notice up on the chalk board:

Cask Ale Days

October 22nd and 23rd (Saturday and Sunday)

12pm to 6pm

12 cask-conditioned ales.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Great news for the beer community. I hope the word gets out to the wider food and wine press in Toronto because I think some of these beers will be an eye-opener for them and help to spread the word about quality beer and specifically quality Ontario beer since I would think most or all of the brews will be Ontario-produced. Hopefully care will be taken to ensure that the beers are allowed to rest before service and drop bright. I have a feeling this will be an excellent event and showcase for real ale but also craft beer in general.

Gary

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

why just the afternoon? why not Saturday night too?

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

why just the afternoon? why not Saturday night too?
I'm guessing that he doesn't want to sacrifice his receipts from a busy Saturday night. Makes sense to me - holding it in the afternoon presents less financial risk while still offering an innovative and much-needed festival.
Last edited by inertiaboy on Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

There's just no pleasing Sammy...a bar in Toronto plans to hold a cask festival over 2 days and you're still whining. 12 hours not enough for you? :roll:

This makes sense. Ralph is not going to make money at this, he's doing it because he loves beer, and he does have a business to run. Anything leftover will be available Monday as a "run-off" night. Ralph has been to a lot of beer festivals all over the world and I know he has seen things he likes in terms of setting it up, so this should be interesting. The 12 casks will include more than a few special one-offs and rare treats (all to be confirmed). I encourage all to get out and support this. If I hear any other details, I will pass them on.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Mr. Tupalev, may I ask an innocent question without getting flamed by you? I guess you are not in my shoes as a family man, and can go hang out whenever you want. I also used to be in that position when I was very young with few responsibilities.
I also sorry I am not a great mindreader and can figure out why Ralph does not have it at night between 2 days when the beer is just sitting there.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

You have me all figured out Sammy. I rove from beer festival to beer festival living a care free life, no responsibility whatsoever. I can do this because I'm 16 years old. Man, life is good!

I strongly urge you not to be presumptuous and patronizing with me.

I was not "flaming" you (I don't even know what that means, but I can guess). Your posts simply constantly come off as whining and complaining in my opinion. The beauty of this board is that it is opinion-based, which means whenever I want to waste my time and respond to you, I can. Just like if you want to post personal details of your life, shopping nude, family situations, etc. you can.

A scheduled event, in this case a beer festival, will never suit every single individual. You can scream why me, or why not this time, and that is your prerogative. You likely won't change anything, but go ahead.

You say that the beer is in the building, why can't you have some Saturday or Sunday night? Well, Ralph does have a business to run, as it has been pointed out. The cask set up will be taking up a majority of the seats in the building, so that would prevent that from happening. Plus, what happens if you drain the casks Saturday night and leave nothing for Sunday folks? The way this will be successful is to concentrate the times, and bring people in then. Plus there will be the Monday night as I mentioned. This all seems pretty logical; if I can think of this at such a "very young" age, surely you can as well.

I'm not going to waste this topic with any more of this; I'll save the space for the details of this much anticipated festival.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

This sounds great! Any word of the format? I.e. is it an admission or ticket type event, or just special offerings of the cask ales between those hours? I'm actually glad of the hours listed. It means I can probably Go-Train there and back. I'll be interested to hear what the offerings will be. :D

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

From what I understand, it will be an admission type thing, with a glass and x amount of tickets included, with more tickets available for purchase. Again, that is just my understanding, not official.

mds

Post by mds »

I'll be there. 8)

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I hate you all :evil:
(cause i wont be there)

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

JerCraigs wrote:I hate you all :evil:
(cause i wont be there)
Hey, maybe we could make it a road trip...

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Roll out the barrel. :)

Gary

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Awesome. Cheers to Ralph!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

From what Ralph mentioned over the weekend it's going to be $15 entrance fee, this includes 5 tickets for your beers. The ales are going to be served in 10oz glasses and will cost $3 per sample; the choice off having a pint may be offered too. So, as you can see Ralph is not holding this wonderful festival for profit, it's purely to get people drinking cask ales and recognising the wonderful breweries we have here in Ontario. The patio is going to be cleared of chairs, so standing room only, which always helps the beer go down wonderfully! I just hope enough people turm up to make it a worthwhile event in order for it to be an annual thing. Hats off to Ralph!!