Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

cfrancis wrote:

I wouldn't do this... yet. What I've done, twice now, is ask for the manager. Explain that you understand putting items aside but that they've been put aside for X days and that you're ready to buy now. Unless there is a future pickup date, they will sell it to you.
+1 I played it this way. Even gave my name and number and said when you are fed up waiting, give me a call. I had beer within two days.
Well played.
Congrats on a sweet haul.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

LCBO slashed prices on a bunch of seasonal beers today. Lots of bargains to be had if there is stock in your local lcbo.

most are $2 off, but there are a few really good deals like this one:

http://www.vintages.com/lcbo-ear/vintag ... ber=207084

this is decent too: http://www.vintages.com/lcbo-ear/vintag ... mber=84889

and I'd buy this at 85c off: http://www.vintages.com/lcbo-ear/vintag ... e=Vintages

also:

Southern Tier Warlock (650 mL bottle) is $1.75 cheaper
Paranormal Imperial Pumpkin Ale (750 mL bottle) is $1.50 cheaper
Schneider Tapx Porter (750 mL bottle) is $2.00 cheaper
Calabaza Blanca Artisan (750 mL bottle) is $1.55 cheaper
and more..

interesting to see the lcbo using some common intelligent retail practices. Normally stuff just hangs around gathering dust at regular price here at the Ottawa lcbo's.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Midtfyns Imperial Stout

There were cases of these on Friday at Crossroads. Big sale sign saying they were $3 off. I tried one. Nice flavour up front but a weird metallic bite to the end of the sip. I don't regret putting a couple other bottles back to get this instead but I won't get another.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

shows online at regular price

http://www.vintages.com/lcbo-ear/vintag ... e=Vintages

shouldn't everyone in Ontario get the same discount?
toweringpine wrote:Midtfyns Imperial Stout

There were cases of these on Friday at Crossroads. Big sale sign saying they were $3 off. I tried one. Nice flavour up front but a weird metallic bite to the end of the sip. I don't regret putting a couple other bottles back to get this instead but I won't get another.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

spinrsx wrote:shows online at regular price

They were $3 off from the original price of $9.50. The web info is accurate but just doesn't mention that it is a discounted price.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

spinrsx wrote:shows online at regular price

They were $3 off from the original price of $9.50. The web info is accurate but just doesn't mention that it is a discounted price.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

No way that beer was $9+ originally

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

spinrsx wrote:No way that beer was $9+ originally
I could have been mistaken but I really don't think so. I will not likely have a chance to go back until Friday night but if the display is still there I will snap a picture. Every other retail business does this all the time but it just doesn't feel right that the LCBO would artificially raise a price so they could appear to put the item on sale. If anyone else is at Crossroads this week maybe they could take a look. This wasn't with the beer, it was closer to the vintages section.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

the original price is still listed in the Autumn release thread:

376442 / Midtfyns Bryghus Imperial Stout / 500ml / $6.50

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

The display is still there and priced just as I described. I took a picture but have no idea how to post it here. If anyone really wants to see it I could maybe figure out how to tweet it. [/img]

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I used the live chat function on the LCBO website a couple weeks back to ask about this. I was contacted back by no less than three different people and finally yesterday by the store manager. Apparently they made a mistake and confused this with another product. The original sign has been replaced with a new one showing a price of $5.20. One thing with our booze sellers in Ontario, they take feedback from us seriously even if their wheels turn fairly slowly. Their explanations seemed a bit hard to believe and the idea that they were unaware of it ( I asked at the store on two occasions and even spoke with the assistant manager ) was entirely implausible but none the less they say they have corrected it. I haven't been there to confirm.

I don't think I will buy another even at the reduced price but it may interest someone else.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Finally saw Lone Pine cans in Ottawa. Hunt Club/Merivale. That's gotta be the best LCBO in Ottawa now (with Innes/Tenth I suppose, never been there though), no? They've been getting everything I can think of for months now and in large quantities. Significantly different than even just a year ago.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

any idea what the can date on the lone pine was? Was thinking of heading over there if theyre fresh..
Kekumba wrote:Finally saw Lone Pine cans in Ottawa. Hunt Club/Merivale. That's gotta be the best LCBO in Ottawa now (with Innes/Tenth I suppose, never been there though), no? They've been getting everything I can think of for months now and in large quantities. Significantly different than even just a year ago.
Last edited by spinrsx on Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

February 2nd.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

not bad, thanks