Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Atwater and Redhook coming to Ontario

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Atwater and Redhook coming to Ontario

Post by Craig »

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere:

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2015/01 ... d-company/

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2015/02 ... d-company/

Both going on tap at Bier Markt shortly and maybe in select other bars as well.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Interesting, but nothing that I am all that excited about.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

That was my reaction too.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

This will be Ontario's reality in the next couple years, IMO. We aren't going to get (m)any of the better American breweries, unless they already distribute to virtually all 50 states. We are a prime market for mid or bottom tier breweries that are struggling to sell their product among the better alternatives south of the border.

I know I will probably take some heat for saying this, but I think Stone largely fits in to this category.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Sadly, I think I agree with you. I'd be much more excited by a bigger Sierra Nevada push.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

So Stone is now a struggling mid to bottom tier brewery. Wow.

Considering they're better than any Ontario brewery I guess that's an indicator of just how far behind this province still is in the craft game.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote: Considering they're better than any Ontario brewery I guess that's an indicator of just how far behind this province still is in the craft game.
HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

whatever.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

instantkamera wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote: Considering they're better than any Ontario brewery I guess that's an indicator of just how far behind this province still is in the craft game.
HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

whatever.
Truth hurts, I know, so I forgive your sarcastic, all caps laugh.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:So Stone is now a struggling mid to bottom tier brewery. Wow.
That's not what I said. They fall in to that other category of breweries that already distribute to basically (if not) all 50 states.

The truth of the matter is that big beer geeks in the US don't drink Stone, aside from Enjoy By. I'm sure you'd find many BTers that have regular access to US beer would tell you the same.

I know that, from my point of view, I would hardly ever order a pint of Stone at a good US beer bar, but I will regularly order a pint of Stone IPA once it's available in Ontario. It's all about the alternatives.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
That's not what I said. They fall in to that other category of breweries that already distribute to basically (if not) all 50 states.

The truth of the matter is that big beer geeks in the US don't drink Stone, aside from Enjoy By. I'm sure you'd find many BTers that have regular access to US beer would tell you the same.

I know that, from my point of view, I would hardly ever order a pint of Stone at a good US beer bar, but I will regularly order a pint of Stone IPA once it's available in Ontario. It's all about the alternatives.
If that's what you meant, that they fall into the nation-wide distribution category, then fair enough.

I took the "I know I will probably take some heat for saying this, but I think Stone largely fits in to this category." comment as meaning you thought they were a subpar operation.

Yes, I'm sure Stone in the U.S. may have run into a bit of a wall these days.

Beer geeks are indoctrinated members of the Church of the New and Stone is practically an elder statesman in the craft world.

I always bring back loads of Stone bottles on U.S. beer runs but I'm with you about getting a pint at a bar or restaurant; it's going to be something I've never had before.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
instantkamera wrote:
HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA

whatever.
Truth hurts, I know, so I forgive your sarcastic, all caps laugh.
Troll's obvious, so forgive me if I ignore everything else you post from now until the end of time.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

instantkamera wrote: Troll's obvious, so forgive me if I ignore everything else you post from now until the end of time.
Yep. I've been posting on and off for nine years just so I can troll. You got me figured out.

Be my guest and ignore my posts. It won't hurt me any.

However, if you'd be so polite as to indulge me, I'd like to hear a single Ontario brewery you think is better than Stone.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:

If that's what you meant, that they fall into the nation-wide distribution category, then fair enough.

I took the "I know I will probably take some heat for saying this, but I think Stone largely fits in to this category." comment as meaning you thought they were a subpar operation.

Yes, I'm sure Stone in the U.S. may have run into a bit of a wall these days.

Beer geeks are indoctrinated members of the Church of the New and Stone is practically an elder statesman in the craft world.

I always bring back loads of Stone bottles on U.S. beer runs but I'm with you about getting a pint at a bar or restaurant; it's going to be something I've never had before.
That's fair. As I re-read my post, it was not all that clear and the wording was poor.

My honest opinion is this:
- We are getting Stone in Ontario because they've exhausted their American growth
- Stone isn't exactly a cutting edge brewery that beer geeks covet. They do make solid beer and are certainly not a bottom-tier brewery, but in many ways they do qualify as a mid-tier brewery in terms of overall beer quality and creativity.
- Sierra Nevada is basically the same as Stone in both respects, but I would argue that the overall portfolio of SN is somewhat more interesting than Stone's. That, of course, is for my palate.

Another comment: to your point about bringing back lots of Stone on beer runs to the US. I am curious to see if that starts to change, especially given how much better beer distribution in WNY has become. Two years ago, I would load up on Stone in Buffalo. A year ago, I would still get a bunch. Over the past 6 months, I may grab a bomber of Enjoy By and that's it.

Interestingly, this serves as another example of how the beer you buy is all relative to the other choices. At one time, Stone was one of the best in Buffalo, Now, with the likes of Founders, Bell's, AleSmith, Prairie, Jack's Abby, Maine, FW, Crooked Stave and The Bruery all entering WNY within the past 18 months, the beer scene there has changed so much that Stone has become less desirable to many (myself included).

But Ontario is a long way away from that point...

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:So Stone is now a struggling mid to bottom tier brewery. Wow.

Considering they're better than any Ontario brewery I guess that's an indicator of just how far behind this province still is in the craft game.
Stone is a joke. Bellwoods (to name one) is far superior.
Sure, they have a few good beers in the lineup. But the last few different and exciting recipes have come from collaborating.
Mitch Steele is a heck of a brewer. Greg Koch is an ABSOLUTE DUMBASS. He is pompous, arrogant, and ruining their brand.
The crowdsourcing stunt was the last straw for me. I WILL NEVER BUY A STONE PRODUCT EVER AGAIN.

There is so much good stuff out there that this will be easy.

Ontario is getting the fat and grizzle of the US craft scene. Maybe tasty (if you like that sort of thing) but unhealthy garbage for the most part.

I can't think of a US beer that has made its way to Ontario in the past 12 months that I was excited about.

I swore off buying any beer at TBS last year and will continue.
I am planning not to buy a single BEER at the LCBO this year as well.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

those 2 breweries aren't on my radar.

but i still think there's a correlation between the US invasion and the changes coming to TBS.
i think the US companies have been told about the changes coming.

many shitty ontario microbreweries will fold after this US invasion. only so many taps and so much linear footage at the 'BO