Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Craft Beer Release 2014

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

A wrote:
atomeyes wrote:to clarify:

there was an end at QQ. i didn't see it. just saw the shelf stuff. they may have more in the back.
i was at Laird and Eg this AM. they didn't have it then, but it was put out later.

computers: i know that The Beer Store does NOT have SAP. they've put out bids a # of times and are a mess to work with. don't know about the LCBO.

review: opened my bottle of Rodenbach Vintage. important that some of you case hoarders read this. i am betting that MANY of you will be disappointed with this beer. it's a great food pairing beer. if you're looking for complex beer with depth and mouthfeel, this ain't it. it isn't insanely tart. i think it's lovely and i'm making saffron chicken for dinner and it should pair really well.

i bought 4 bottles. drank 1. likely won't buy more. but if i cooked a shitload of fatty fish, i'd buy it to pair. or, save it for summer porch drinking.
More or less tart than Rodenbach Grand Cru?
i thought it was less everything. less tart, less soya sauce. but it was more...orange and cherry?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

uhhh..

TORONTO-CENTRAL
2 COOPER STREET
QUEENS QUAY & YONGE
416-864-6777
Feb 5, 2015

2 Units

They sold 914 bottles in a day? Or is this a distribution centre?

rfrf wrote:Rodenbach:

TORONTO-CENTRAL 2 COOPER STREET
QUEENS QUAY & YONGE
416-864-6777 Feb 4, 2015 916

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

again, not sure why anyone's checking the LCBO's inventory system. it's only good for static inventory, not moving inventory. and anything less that 10 units is likely flawed.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

atomeyes wrote:
A wrote:
atomeyes wrote:to clarify:

there was an end at QQ. i didn't see it. just saw the shelf stuff. they may have more in the back.
i was at Laird and Eg this AM. they didn't have it then, but it was put out later.

computers: i know that The Beer Store does NOT have SAP. they've put out bids a # of times and are a mess to work with. don't know about the LCBO.

review: opened my bottle of Rodenbach Vintage. important that some of you case hoarders read this. i am betting that MANY of you will be disappointed with this beer. it's a great food pairing beer. if you're looking for complex beer with depth and mouthfeel, this ain't it. it isn't insanely tart. i think it's lovely and i'm making saffron chicken for dinner and it should pair really well.

i bought 4 bottles. drank 1. likely won't buy more. but if i cooked a shitload of fatty fish, i'd buy it to pair. or, save it for summer porch drinking.
More or less tart than Rodenbach Grand Cru?
i thought it was less everything. less tart, less soya sauce. but it was more...orange and cherry?
Had one last night - a little less sour than Grand Cru, more like a Panil Barrique. Very fruity, surprisingly with none of the flavors I would associate with barrel aging (nothing woody or earthly).

At less than $10 it's a stone cold bargain IMO

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

I was told a restaurant cleaned out the QQ location. Bought everything.

Makes sense....they'll probably sell for $30 and make a killing.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

There are 6000 bottles in this release. I would guess restaurants buy at least half. This release will end up being not much bigger than a Bellwood's barrel aged release IMO.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

BakaGaijin wrote:I was told a restaurant cleaned out the QQ location. Bought everything.

I hate that they're allowed to do that.

A bar or restaurant has run out of the usual shitty general list suspects, yeah no problem, but seasonals or special releases of stuff, no. Work with the LCBO and the makers to get your own supply and leave the shelves to the consumers to have a chance at booze that hasn't been marked up even further.
lister

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

lister wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:I was told a restaurant cleaned out the QQ location. Bought everything.

I hate that they're allowed to do that.

A bar or restaurant has run out of the usual shitty general list suspects, yeah no problem, but seasonals or special releases of stuff, no. Work with the LCBO and the makers to get your own supply and leave the shelves to the consumers to have a chance at booze that hasn't been marked up even further.
i guess.
but only dummies buy beer at restaurants when they are 3.2 times less expensive to buy at the 'BO and drink at home.
restaurants and bars should be selling draught:bottles 95:5. dumbdumbs buy bottles that aren't special releases or via agency

vandutchy

Post by vandutchy »

Lots of new Rodenbach on the shelves as of this morning. Fairly dispersed too across province

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

atomeyes wrote: review: opened my bottle of Rodenbach Vintage. important that some of you case hoarders read this. i am betting that MANY of you will be disappointed with this beer. it's a great food pairing beer. if you're looking for complex beer with depth and mouthfeel, this ain't it. it isn't insanely tart. i think it's lovely and i'm making saffron chicken for dinner and it should pair really well.
Having now had a bottle, I would put myself in the "disappointed" category, but that is due to expectation rather than the beer. It's very good and I will have no problem finishing my bottles (amazing price, too), but it is not "next level" good, which I had rather hoped for. The only other "vintage" I have had is the 2010, and I remember that being really excellent - a couple of steps above this one. Anyway, nothing to complain about here. Very glad the LCBO got it and enjoyed the bottle very much - but I don't feel the need to stock up and hoard them for the future.
Ren

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

jrenihan wrote:
atomeyes wrote: review: opened my bottle of Rodenbach Vintage. important that some of you case hoarders read this. i am betting that MANY of you will be disappointed with this beer. it's a great food pairing beer. if you're looking for complex beer with depth and mouthfeel, this ain't it. it isn't insanely tart. i think it's lovely and i'm making saffron chicken for dinner and it should pair really well.
Having now had a bottle, I would put myself in the "disappointed" category, but that is due to expectation rather than the beer. It's very good and I will have no problem finishing my bottles (amazing price, too), but it is not "next level" good, which I had rather hoped for. The only other "vintage" I have had is the 2010, and I remember that being really excellent - a couple of steps above this one. Anyway, nothing to complain about here. Very glad the LCBO got it and enjoyed the bottle very much - but I don't feel the need to stock up and hoard them for the future.
Ren
different strokes I guess. I was in the very cautious camp at first. I got a bottle to see if it was for me and yeah it totally is. This is my favourite Flanders we've had here...I like that it isn't as Balsamicy like Panil. ..like the play between the sweet and sour and I like the subtle oak. It's a Flanders I can sip slowly but also drink the whole 750 ml without a problem.

Good advice though to try it before you buy tons...I think this is one of those beers that's highly subjective.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

I never worry about buying too much of anything considering the LCBO's return policy.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

BakaGaijin wrote:I never worry about buying too much of anything considering the LCBO's return policy.
:P Too true!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Rodenbach Vintage was underwhelming. Smelled nice, but palate was a bit flat (flavour-wise). Glad I didn't buy more than my single bottles. I'd drink it again, but I'm not going to go out of my way to find it.

Smuttynose Imperial Stout was heavily hopped. If you liked fresh Tempest (which I don't), you'll like this. Was not my cup of tea as is, but with a year or two on it for the hops to take a step back, this might be nice.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i just got confirmation from Rodenbach.
as i suspected, their beer is filtered, unpasteurized and not bottle conditioned.
in theory, how you drink it now is how it's supposed to taste and, in theory, it should be at it's peak.
some people want to cellar it. maybe, just maybe it will get some more sweet, oxidized, sherry notes?
otherwise, i'd drink this all within the year.