Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Beer Store Deal

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Tapsucker wrote:
saints_gambit wrote:
sprague11 wrote:JSJ for best beer writer at the next Golden Taps?
Victory in our time will be reward enough.
Or some more book sales! :wink:

aw shucks, I'm shilling now...
Oh crap! I forgot!

HEY EVERYONE! BUY MY BOOK!
saintjohnswort.ca

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

http://www.bargecraftbeer.ca/wp-content ... Reform.pdf

Barge's proposal to the government to fix the beer laws and drop their lawsuit. Basically means allowing private retailers, I wish them luck.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Craig wrote:http://www.bargecraftbeer.ca/wp-content ... Reform.pdf

Barge's proposal to the government to fix the beer laws and drop their lawsuit. Basically means allowing private retailers, I wish them luck.
I don't know it will work, but more pressure can't hurt and it forces The Beer Store to fight on several separate fronts in terms of messaging. Clever move from a PR perspective, and the simplicity of the change sought might go viral for its brevity.
saintjohnswort.ca

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/ ... opoly.html

Sousa says he's going to "redesign" and "reassess" TBS. The Star says changes are going to come in the March budget. Sounds promising that something will change, but it would be nice to get an idea of what.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Craig wrote:http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/ ... opoly.html

Sousa says he's going to "redesign" and "reassess" TBS. The Star says changes are going to come in the March budget. Sounds promising that something will change, but it would be nice to get an idea of what.
I don't know how a minister of finance can redesign a non-governmental institution. Maybe they're going to nationalize the sucker.
saintjohnswort.ca

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

saints_gambit wrote:
Craig wrote:http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/ ... opoly.html

I don't know how a minister of finance can redesign a non-governmental institution. Maybe they're going to nationalize the sucker.
Sousa will make Beer Store Ted an offer he can't refuse...
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

I can see it coming. All the Wynne government is going to do is introduce a fee/tax/monopoly service charge to extract more money from the Beer Store. Nothing else is going to change. The big brewer's monopoly is going to be legitimized (hey, we are paying for it!). Face it. Except for a few of us beer lovers no one is even talking about change anymore. Wynne promised change just to buy time until the joe six packs found another news story to distract them. Yes, I'm pretty cynical, but I'm sure we aren't going to be buying Stone Ruination at a new Premier Wines Yonge Street location in my lifetime.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Cagiva650 wrote:I can see it coming. All the Wynne government is going to do is introduce a fee/tax/monopoly service charge to extract more money from the Beer Store. Nothing else is going to change. The big brewer's monopoly is going to be legitimized (hey, we are paying for it!). Face it. Except for a few of us beer lovers no one is even talking about change anymore. Wynne promised change just to buy time until the joe six packs found another news story to distract them. Yes, I'm pretty cynical, but I'm sure we aren't going to be buying Stone Ruination at a new Premier Wines Yonge Street location in my lifetime.
I suspect you are right for now. Polling seems to show that more and more people are becoming frustrated with our beer situation. The last one I heard said 66% wanted some sort of reform and the status quo camp garnered only something in the low 20s.

Nothing much is going to happen this round but maybe if we can keep the chatter up it will become an issue in the next election. Parties keep floating it and TBS lobbies them to drop it but eventually a party will decide that the small amount they get from this lobby isn't enough. I think that time is coming soon.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

IMO, there's only been in my drinking lifetime three "significant" changes to the way beer is sold in Ontario:

1. Sunday retail hours
2. Extending last call to 2am
3. Permitting brewery tied houses

Other improvements we've seen in the beer scene (such as LCBO improving import selection) has had more to do with market forces rather than structural change.

Even though the awareness of TBS being bad is as prevalent as it has ever been in history, I'm pessimistic that the March budget will add a #4 to the list above. I hope I'm wrong.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Cass wrote:IMO, there's only been in my drinking lifetime three "significant" changes to the way beer is sold in Ontario:

1. Sunday retail hours
2. Extending last call to 2am
3. Permitting brewery tied houses

Other improvements we've seen in the beer scene (such as LCBO improving import selection) has had more to do with market forces rather than structural change.

Even though the awareness of TBS being bad is as prevalent as it has ever been in history, I'm pessimistic that the March budget will add a #4 to the list above. I hope I'm wrong.
I agree that it is unlikely there will substantive changes to TBS.

It is likely there will be some offering to the craft's in terms of distribution.

If not, she will be taking some major heat for destroying business in Ontario.

I hope it's not just sales at farmers markets (which she has already has given to wineries) and has been holding onto to throw us a bone. That will be incredibly lame.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Rob Creighton wrote:That will be incredibly lame.
This is what we pay them for.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Sadly, I agree with everything above. The Libs will extract a bit more cash from TBS's bulging coffers, and declare victory.

Cass: what about the lowering of the drinking age to 18 and then the subsequent semi-reversal to 19 as another significant event in our lifetimes? (Or mine, anyway - others may not be so old).

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

midlife crisis wrote:Cass: what about the lowering of the drinking age to 18 and then the subsequent semi-reversal to 19 as another significant event in our lifetimes? (Or mine, anyway - others may not be so old).
Well, that didn't happen during my *drinking* life :)

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

The reduction from 21 to 18 in 1971, while not quite in my (legal) drinking life, had a huge impact on my high school and the de facto age at which many started drinking.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yeah, that was quite a bit before my time. My folks were teachers so they remember boozy students in the afternoons.