Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Elora Brewing Company

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Craig wrote:Isn't 74/100 24% above average?
Theoretically, yes. But the "average" rating for most craft beers on BA seems to be about 3.5/5/ Even higher on Untappd. I don't use RB enough to comment.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

if you got a 51% on an exam, would you proclaim that you're above average? :)

average for grading/rating is a B.
Bs are 70-79%, including the minuses and pluses.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

atomeyes wrote:

How about if I got a score that was in the 51st percentile of all scores on the exam?

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I guess it is all a matter of opinion. A 74% local made brew that I can get fresh off the shelf for a couple of bucks is at least as valuable to me as a 90% rarity that I must make a big effort to procure and pay double for.

For some it is all about the experience and the rarity and trying more things and for others it is about enjoying a decent brew with no fuss or muss.

I don't think anyone is under the illusion that Barley Days is the next big thing and will start producing world class beers that geeks from around the world will want to trade for but that doesn't mean they don't hold a valuable place I the local community.

To me a beer doesn't need to be top of its class to be worthy of drinking but others can have their own opinions.

Scottatron

Post by Scottatron »

midlife crisis wrote:Some very nice lagers at Old Flame. I finally got up there. Well worth a visit.
Thanks a lot for the kind feedback. I appreciate it.

Cheers!

Scott

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Scottatron wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:Some very nice lagers at Old Flame. I finally got up there. Well worth a visit.
Thanks a lot for the kind feedback. I appreciate it.

Cheers!

Scott
Keep up the great work Scott, you're brewing really solid stuff.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote:
atomeyes wrote:

How about if I got a score that was in the 51st percentile of all scores on the exam?
seriously, bro'sir?
yes, i see the stat trap you are trying to set.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

toweringpine wrote:I guess it is all a matter of opinion. A 74% local made brew that I can get fresh off the shelf for a couple of bucks is at least as valuable to me as a 90% rarity that I must make a big effort to procure and pay double for.
False dichotomy. What about the 90's made in Ontario that can be sourced with relative ease at a good price? Why settle?

Of course, if you feel that the beer really IS a 90, then by all means, drink away.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

atomeyes wrote:
Craig wrote:
atomeyes wrote: if you got a 51% on an exam, would you proclaim that you're above average? :)

seriously, bro'sir?
yes, i see the stat trap you are trying to set.
It's not a stat trap. You called a beer in the 74th percentile not above average, which is ridiculous. The grading for As/Bs is irrelevant, because ratebeer uses a weighted average.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

What percentage any of the previous beers from past breweries had on RB/BA/Untappd may have little relevance with regard to what his new beers will be like, unless of course there were obvious brewing flaws. The beers he brewed at Beau's and Barley Days probably weren't his own design and he was likely working with pre-determined recipes, with instructions to make them as close to previous batches as possible/maintain the profile and internal consistency. Things could be much different now that he's calling all his own shots.

Bottom line, either politely avoid it because you find the marketing preamble or the style uninteresting or wait until you've tried it to dump on it.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

instantkamera wrote:
toweringpine wrote:I guess it is all a matter of opinion. A 74% local made brew that I can get fresh off the shelf for a couple of bucks is at least as valuable to me as a 90% rarity that I must make a big effort to procure and pay double for.
False dichotomy. What about the 90's made in Ontario that can be sourced with relative ease at a good price? Why settle?

Of course, if you feel that the beer really IS a 90, then by all means, drink away.
Point taken. If it is a choice between a middle of the pack local beer and a top class local of the same style then the choice is easy.

I think there was a comment to the effect that there is no point in drinking anything less than a stellar example of whatever. To that, I disagree.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

boney wrote:Things could be much different now that he's calling all his own shots.
AFAIK, I believe most of the owners are home brewers, so I'm sure they'll have a lot of input as well.

Anyone ever have the Caplansky's beer? That was brewed/designed by this brewer.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Kish84 wrote:Anyone ever have the Caplansky's beer? That was brewed/designed by this brewer.
Yes. Nothing wrong with it. I wouldn't say it was OMG amazeballs! (the kids are still saying that right?) but I would have it again on occasion.
lister