Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Forum Upgrade Time!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Forum Upgrade Time!

Post by Cass »

Well, the time has come. We're going to upgrade the forum to a newer version of the software and bring this thing up to modern-ish standards.

What does this mean to you?

1. Well, the board might go through some hiccups as this takes place. The plan is to take the board down during the upgrade, so we don't have two boards running at the same time. So I'd like to ask for your patience as we go through the process. Hopefully it won't be more than a few hours.

2. We're going to purge the userlist, so if you have an account but have never posted, your account may get purged. So you might have to sign up again.

3. Some funky things could happen to individual accounts, such as avatars not transferring over. So some of that might be needed to upload again.

4. There is a small chance your password may get corrupted, but you'd be able to use the reset password link to fix after the upgrade.

However, the pros far outweigh the cons, as a upgrade will mean that everyone who is awaiting for account activation (sorry!) can just register on their own. And some of the features that this old board couldn't handle well (such as searching) should be good to go.

Some of the look and feel elements of the board may need to be tweaked post-upgrade, and those will be fixed as we go.

The plan is to do it this coming weekend, as the board is usually a bit slower on weekends.

Will post updates as we go. Better forum times ahead!

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

YAY!

about fucking time

themenace

Post by themenace »

I should probably post so I don't get purged.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Wheeeeeeeee!

Will there be a mobile skin?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The new version of the forum software is supposed to be responsive by default, meaning the site *should* detect your device automatically and configure itself to match your screen size. I haven't played with it yet, so I don't know how well it will work. Decent mobile browsing is close to the top of my wishlist, since it's pretty painful with the forum right now.

We should also get access to our profiles again, so people can set up avatars, signatures and the like.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

...and can we kick out users who will inevitably complain that they miss the "old" forum after the upgrades are done? :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Buy this man a beer!
In Beerum Veritas

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

Excellent news. It sounds like it'll be a nice transition. Hope it goes smoothly for you Cass.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Good news Cass. The old software has been very sturdy and you don't owe it anything certainly, but we here all owe you our sincerest thanks for keeping the forum going.

A suggestion: given the change, why not take the opportunity to include a whisky sub-forum?

Gary
Gary Gillman

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I say this would be a good time to wipe out all of the beer reviews and make us start over. Give everybody a quota of, say, 50 beers to review and have them submitted by Monday when the new site is live. :D
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Good luck!! ;-)

Krys

Post by Krys »

First post. Don't want to get purged.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

What happened with this?

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Just admit that the "What are you drinking right now?" thread is the new Y2K and the world will implode at 1000 pages.

I resist to this change as all change is bad.

So... when can we log in?

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Are we no longer allowed to edit our profiles? I wanted to add a signature, but I just get a white splash screen when I click Profile.