Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Blasphomet wrote:Can't be bothered to trek it down to Bellwoods that often anymore though. There are outpricing themselves as well as far as I'm concerned. They need to move to 650ml bottles, big time.
I'm very happy having them stay at 500ml. Just ease up on pricing and keep the nicely manageable bottle size.

They used to have larger bottles...Motley Cru 2013 for example....

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:I urge you guys to try 7 Hop (after I buy some more).
Had this on tap recently and wasn't impressed, but then again the bar that I was at never showcases any beer in it's best light, so I'll give it another go, based on your enthusiasm alone. :wink:
So you're a Rhino local too, eh? :wink:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mgmoney wrote:Bellwoods always has new and interesting stuff...screw the LCBO..and Red Racer is so disappointing to me lately...Naughty Neighbor and fresh Headstock though has been a revelation
Oh serious? I have to try this to see how bad it's gotten, used to be an incredible IPA. NB Headstock is hit-or-miss, and Neighbor is one of the GLB's I don't mind. So frustrating liking IPA's here, is someone now going to tell me Mad Tom has gone away from its amazingness?

Funny as I wrote that, I was thinking Church Key-brewed Scotch Irish Sgt Majors IPA was really freaking consistent, and it had the nicest Chinook hop signature that was so pure sappy and funky. Maybe my rose-colored glasses are on but I think it was truly great before Heritage got their infamous mitts on it.
Blasphomet wrote:Can't be bothered to trek it down to Bellwoods that often anymore though. There are outpricing themselves as well as far as I'm concerned. They need to move to 650ml bottles, big time.
But they won't because it's all selling so well & they have great optics that somehow disguise the fact their beers cost about $28 dollars a liter. That's half a tank of gas... but great bottle labels and nice bunch of guys/gals.
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

spinrsx wrote:and this is back:

DE WALLEN BARREL AGED SOUR FRAMBOISE
LCBO 357897 | 330 mL bottle
Price: $ 5.95
This was denied on Twitter yesterday:

Cody Noland @codynoland

@ayearofbeer there are no current plans to bring back De Wallen

amsterdambeer

Post by amsterdambeer »

spinrsx wrote:new:

DAURA DAMM LAGER 6 PK-B
LCBO 378711 | 6x330 mL bottle
Price $ 12.95
(gluten free)

and this is back:

DE WALLEN BARREL AGED SOUR FRAMBOISE
LCBO 357897 | 330 mL bottle
Price: $ 5.95
Sorry everyone, but unfortunately we've got no plans to bring De Wallen back. Those of you who've still got a bottle in the cellar... treasure it!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Anyone know if the petrus aged pale ale has a best before on it? Could this beer be cellared for a while?

Jay-Brew

Post by Jay-Brew »

spinrsx wrote:Anyone know if the petrus aged pale ale has a best before on it? Could this beer be cellared for a while?
Mine is November 12, 2016, I think.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

spinrsx wrote:Anyone know if the petrus aged pale ale has a best before on it? Could this beer be cellared for a while?
i'd guess not. i'd assume it's pasteurized prior to bottling and that you get nothing out of age. it won't be like Orval.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Jay-Brew wrote:
Mine is November 12, 2016, I think.
Mine has the same date on it. I have no idea how time will affect this.

I had one last night. I may have just become a fan of sours. I like to try new stuff but I really wasn't expecting to like it, now I am wishing a had bought more of them.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

had the petrus and the rogue 7 hop last night. 2 very good beers that are not even part of a seasonal release - wonder why the lcbo is being so nice to us?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

LAKE OF BAYS NHL TERRIBLE TED RED SAISON
LCBO 419788 | 750 mL bottle
SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES
$11.95

STRATFORD PILSNER
LCBO 614164 | 6x341 mL bottle
Price: $ 11.75

SMITHWORKS KELLERBIER
LCBO 415364 | 500 mL bottle
Price $ 3.25

KILANNAN KOLSCH
LCBO 415083 | 473 mL can
Price: $ 2.90

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Tomas at K6 just informed me Peche will be landing in LCBO's soon.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/dieu-d ... PieSW90wdk

Will be buying lots!

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

LOL at the price of that Lake of Bays. :D

Jay-Brew

Post by Jay-Brew »

Does Peche Mortel get pretty reasonable distribution, at least to those stores that typically get most things. I am in Kingston and between all stores we tend to get the majority of releases. Just wondering if I should ask my store to bring some in.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Robohop is at the lcbo now. 8.95 seems steep considering their barrel aged beard of zeus barleywine was only a buck more.

whats with all of the bottles of great lakes ipas at the lcbo anyways? Karma citra, lake effect, robohop etc. They're all good but I feel like these beers should be in a 500ml can format priced around $3. (Like lone pine or headstock) As long as we buy the bottles I guess they have no reason to switch.