Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

spinrsx wrote:They suggest private ordering stone? Could we private order cantillon/3f etc?
Pretty sure you can private order anything that an agency carries, whether it gets approved or not is a different matter.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I'm sure if someone wanted to undertake the paperwork involved in a private order there would be ample participation. I for one have no idea what is involved, much why I'm apprehensive of attempting something.

But usually when a distributor chimes in that they are willing to do a private order, it usually goes well.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Kish84 wrote:
spinrsx wrote:They suggest private ordering stone? Could we private order cantillon/3f etc?
Pretty sure you can private order anything that an agency carries, whether it gets approved or not is a different matter.
Cantillon is represented by Keep6 in Ontario. You can only order Cantillon through Keep6......and they won't sell it to you. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I really wish they would sell it to me, however, I understand that they get very limited quantities and they sell it to there larger restaurant accounts. These larger restaurant accounts are probably one of their larger revenue streams.

When Cantillon expansion is complete and they double production, I would expect that Keep6 gets more allocation of Cantillon. Then, I will expect them to make some available to the public.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

BakaGaijin wrote:
Kish84 wrote:
Cantillon is represented by Keep6 in Ontario. You can only order Cantillon through Keep6......and they won't sell it to you. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I really wish they would sell it to me, however, I understand that they get very limited quantities and they sell it to there larger restaurant accounts. These larger restaurant accounts are probably one of their larger revenue streams.

When Cantillon expansion is complete and they double production, I would expect that Keep6 gets more allocation of Cantillon. Then, I will expect them to make some available to the public.
the archaic laws mean that you need to buy beer by the caseload. Keep6 has little reason to have the headaches of selling to the public who typically want to buy beer by the bottle and not the case.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

El Pinguino wrote:We used to do a lot more private orders here in Bar Towel. I recall doing private orders for Great Divide Titan and Yeti...Southern Tier Un*Earthly, Brewdog Tactical Nuclear Penguin....

Not sure why they were more popular to do ~5 years ago...or maybe I just have not been interested in the beers offered in recent private orders.
The kind of stuff we were private ordering 5 years ago is on the shelves at the LCBO now is part of it.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

atomeyes wrote:quote]

the archaic laws mean that you need to buy beer by the caseload. Keep6 has little reason to have the headaches of selling to the public who typically want to buy beer by the bottle and not the case.
......but they do sell to the public.....I've bought multiple cases off of them....

Anyways, it would be a good idea in my mind if agents were allowed to open one retail outlet to sell their products. Since the Government is talking about opening up beer sales I think this would be a great idea.

A lot of these agents carry stuff that isn't listed with the LCBO. If they could open up their own retail store it would change this ridiculous dynamic where you have to place an order with an agent, then they have to pick it up at the LCBO warehouse and bring it their office where the customer picks it up.

Retail stores would also encourage agents to bring in more diverse products.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

BakaGaijin wrote:

......but they do sell to the public.....I've bought multiple cases off of them....
Cases of Cantillon or just cases in general? I know they have had various beers listed on their site (when they still had a site) for sale to the public by the case before, but considering the context of the conversation...

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

spinrsx wrote:peen: any sign of Stone or Sierra Nevada coming to the LCBO? Both of the news releases from january said march/april for lcbo releases on these..
1080 Cases of Sierra Nevada is expected at the LCBO warehouse April 8 (aprox.)

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Unibroue Don De Dieu
Junction Engineers IPA
Hobgoblin Gold
Descendants Harbinger APA

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Great news, thanks. This was one of the beers that got me interested in craft way back when. Is this a regular listing?

PeenSteen wrote:
spinrsx wrote:peen: any sign of Stone or Sierra Nevada coming to the LCBO? Both of the news releases from january said march/april for lcbo releases on these..
1080 Cases of Sierra Nevada is expected at the LCBO warehouse April 8 (aprox.)

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

ChrisK wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:

Cases of Cantillon or just cases in general? I know they have had various beers listed on their site (when they still had a site) for sale to the public by the case before, but considering the context of the conversation...
You can buy just about any beer from Keep6 that they rep, with the exception of Cantillon. If you want some DDC Aphro for example, you can get it. The archaic law that atomeyes is referencing is the one that stipulates Keep6 can only sell beer by the case. Everything you buy from them is by the case. If they sold Cantillon it would have to be by the case. I have no objections to having to purchase a case of Cantillon:)

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I would gladly purchase a case of Cantillon, provided I did not have to take 5 cases of Leffe and Floris to get it done ;)
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Keep6 isn't getting the quantities of Cantillon to allow case sales. they could barely do restaurant sales.
rumour is that another shipment of Cantillon is heading our way.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

atomeyes wrote:Keep6 isn't getting the quantities of Cantillon to allow case sales. they could barely do restaurant sales.
That is good news.

I don't live in Toronto and I haven't seen any Cantillon outside of Toronto. Hopefully, Keep6 can distribute a little more widely.

From what I have seen though, the prices of Cantillon at bars is more than reasonable. I hope this continues.

I would gladly buy a case of Cantillon and 5 cases of Leffe. I would promptly return the Leffe to the LCBO and exchange it for something I would actually want to drink.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

BakaGaijin wrote:
atomeyes wrote:Keep6 isn't getting the quantities of Cantillon to allow case sales. they could barely do restaurant sales.
That is good news.

I don't live in Toronto and I haven't seen any Cantillon outside of Toronto. Hopefully, Keep6 can distribute a little more widely.

From what I have seen though, the prices of Cantillon at bars is more than reasonable. I hope this continues.

I would gladly buy a case of Cantillon and 5 cases of Leffe. I would promptly return the Leffe to the LCBO and exchange it for something I would actually want to drink.
This. Is.. Genius.... but those Leffes would be Quebec labeled.