Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

skootles wrote:
ercousin wrote:Has anyone drank some of their 2014 stock of motley lately? Just wondering how it is progressing in the bottle, I still have 2 downstairs in my cellar, I think.
I'll be cracking my last one on Motley Day, I'm interested to see how it's changed too.
I was completely meh about last year's, and only got one bottle. Needless to say, I was kicking myself a bit after having it. However, the charm of that beer, for me at least, was in the hop profile, and I can't see it getting any better with extended age.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

instantkamera wrote: I was completely meh about last year's, and only got one bottle. Needless to say, I was kicking myself a bit after having it. However, the charm of that beer, for me at least, was in the hop profile, and I can't see it getting any better with extended age.
Agreed. I loved last year's (one of my favourite Bellwoods brews for sure), but didn't bother holding on to any, because the hops played such a vital role. I'd be curious to hear how it is doing now but don't regret drinking them when I did.
Ren

skootles

Post by skootles »

Yeah, I drank the second last one of mine way back in August and even then you could tell the hops had faded. I knew being an IPA that it wouldn't retain it's full hoppy flavour but I'm still a little hopeful that it'll still be delicious. Can't wait.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:Just curious, as I read that the bottles are 500ml. Was last years also 500ml? I wasn't able to get any last year, but did in 2013 and it was a 750ml bottle.
Last year was 500 ml.
Thanks for clarifying

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

GLB is releasing a new IPA called Octopus Wants To Fight IPA today.

http://greatlakesbeer.com/index.php/new ... fight-ipa/

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Had this on cask at Barhop...fantastic...
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

skootles

Post by skootles »

skootles wrote:
cheechonaleash wrote: Sounds Interesting. Label looks like 3996 bottles. Is that what everyone else is seeing too?
Looks a bit like 3956 to me but either way, that's a decent amount.
Looks like I was right, bottle of Motley Cru 2015 says 3956 bottles.

I arrived around 10:15 and the line was maybe 30-40 people deep. By the time I left with my Motley it was around the corner, maybe 80 people. It seemed on par with last year. Given that they have 3x as many bottles as last year, I'd expect it to last a bit longer (last year it sold out in 5 hours).

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

skootles wrote:
skootles wrote:
cheechonaleash wrote: Sounds Interesting. Label looks like 3996 bottles. Is that what everyone else is seeing too?
Looks a bit like 3956 to me but either way, that's a decent amount.

I arrived around 10:15 and the line was maybe 30-40 people deep. By the time I left with my Motley it was around the corner, maybe 80 people. It seemed on par with last year. Given that they have 3x as many bottles as last year, I'd expect it to last a bit longer (last year it sold out in 5 hours).
They left a comment on an Instagram picture saying they have 2500 bottles left at 1pm. At this rate, it may sell just as fast as last year.

Selling 1000 bottles in 120 minutes is 8 bottles every minute. Perhaps everyone is buying the max allotment?

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Yikes. Had I not been working today I would be there as well.

Judging by their Instagram photo, this stuff's gonna be gone soon.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

sprague11 wrote:Yikes. Had I not been working today I would be there as well.

Judging by their Instagram photo, this stuff's gonna be gone soon.
Got there at 11:00. Got bottles at 12:30. Only saw 1 or 2 people grab less than their 8 allotment. Line was almost as big when we finally left Ossington area at 1:00. I wouldn't be surprised if it does sell out today or early tomorrow.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

jp_jkl wrote:
skootles wrote:
skootles wrote: Looks a bit like 3956 to me but either way, that's a decent amount.

They left a comment on an Instagram picture saying they have 2500 bottles left at 1pm. At this rate, it may sell just as fast as last year.

Selling 1000 bottles in 120 minutes is 8 bottles every minute. Perhaps everyone is buying the max allotment?
Gotta also remember this year they are serving bottles at the brewpub, rather than draft. That means some of those 3956 are likely put away for pubsale and, hopefully, future Cru Days in the future. I suspect from what I've seen that this one will age nicer than last years (which I loved to death when it was super fresh).

I think they could actually sell out quicker in the future if they had either a faster POS terminal or, maybe, just did cash only today. Though I suspect getting (3956 * $12) something like $45K in cash is a little odd.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

groulxsome wrote:
jp_jkl wrote:
skootles wrote: Looks like I was right, bottle of Motley Cru 2015 says 3956 bottles.

Gotta also remember this year they are serving bottles at the brewpub, rather than draft. That means some of those 3956 are likely put away for pubsale and, hopefully, future Cru Days in the future. I suspect from what I've seen that this one will age nicer than last years (which I loved to death when it was super fresh).

I think they could actually sell out quicker in the future if they had either a faster POS terminal or, maybe, just did cash only today. Though I suspect getting (3956 * $12) something like $45K in cash is a little odd.
Or just set up a temporary POS for bottle release days. Something like Square on a tablet would even work.

munrets

Post by munrets »

I just dropped by Bellwoods and was in and out in two minutes with four MCs. Hundreds of bottle left today.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

Yup got mine today no line up tons left ...hipsters just love standing in lines makes em feel cool
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

skootles

Post by skootles »

mgmoney wrote:Yup got mine today no line up tons left ...hipsters just love standing in lines makes em feel cool
Or they have spare time and don't want to risk missing out.