Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

esprit wrote:FYI, we are now the agents for De Molen and have received our first order of 3 of their beers. Just working out pricing right now but we'll let you know about availability shortly.

Peter
update?

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Couple cases of Trou Du Diable Le Sang-d'encre as of this afternoon. $2.50/bottle. Good deal!

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

There's a couple cases of 16-month old Saison du Tracteur. At $2.50 I picked up a bottle, but (as expected) it's not what it once was. Well past it's prime, avoid it.

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Folks, just picked up a couple bottles of TDD Saison du Tracteur - $2.75 each. About 20 bottles in a basket in the middle of the store.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

There's about 2.5 cases of LTM Porter Baltique (750 ml) priced at $6.75 each. Bottled August 2014. It still scans at $9.99 so make sure you get it for the clearance price.

There also a bunch of TDD Sang-d’Encre from Oct 2014 for about $3.50 if I recall correctly.
Last edited by beerstodiscover on Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

deepeary wrote:There's about 2.5 cases of LTM Porter Baltique (750 ml) priced at $6.75 each. Bottled August 2014. It still scans at $9.99 so make sure you get it for the clearance price.

There also a bunch of LTM Sang-d’Encre from Oct 2014 for about $3.50 if I recall correctly.

Did you mean TDD Sang-d’Encre? Not finding info on LTM Sang-d’Encre

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

DeMarco wrote: Did you mean TDD Sang-d’Encre? Not finding info on LTM Sang-d’Encre
Ah, yes, TDD (corrected).

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Passed by last night and there's about a dozen cases of LTM Dopplebock (bottled Sept 2014) 750ml for $6.75 each. Also many more cases of Porter Baltique.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

deepeary wrote:Passed by last night and there's about a dozen cases of LTM Dopplebock (bottled Sept 2014) 750ml for $6.75 each. Also many more cases of Porter Baltique.

Thanks for the heads up. Picked up the Porter while passing by. It seems to be at its regular price at almost $10. Unlike the Dopplebock there is no clearance sticker price on them and the staff were able to scan them like any other bottle in the system. The date on the label indicates 2011, buy the final 4 must have rubbed off a bit as it sports the newer LTM labels from 2014. I have to say, though, that this beer tastes a bit off from what we've had last year. Mouth feel is way thinner, less creamier and the carbonation is reminiscent of Cola plus the roasted chocolate notes taste a bit stale. It was a chore to finish the bottle. Oh well, will try the Doppelbock next time. Don't have a clue why the Porter didn't have the clearance pricing.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Lukie wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Picked up the Porter while passing by. It seems to be at its regular price at almost $10. Unlike the Dopplebock there is no clearance sticker price on them and the staff were able to scan them like any other bottle in the system. The date on the label indicates 2011, buy the final 4 must have rubbed off a bit as it sports the newer LTM labels from 2014. I have to say, though, that this beer tastes a bit off from what we've had last year. Mouth feel is way thinner, less creamier and the carbonation is reminiscent of Cola plus the roasted chocolate notes taste a bit stale. It was a chore to finish the bottle. Oh well, will try the Doppelbock next time. Don't have a clue why the Porter didn't have the clearance pricing.Mouth feel is way thinner, less creamier and the carbonation is reminiscent of Cola plus the roasted chocolate notes taste a bit stale. It was a chore to finish the bottle.
I haven't drank any from this batch yet, thanks for the info. Maybe another year on the shelf will settle the carbonation issue. I've had Porter Baltique once before, relatively fresh, and found it tough to finish. It's a slow sipper for sure, and ideal for sharing IMO. I recall really enjoying it despite pouring 1/3 down the drain.

Re: the missing price tags, I think the staff neglects the clearance section. Usually they cut open and price the bottles in the top case. Once that sells through the are slow to price the next case that's opened. When I grabbed a bottle with no tag last week the cashier asked me what the price was and I got it for $5. :D

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Was in on Tuesday, and there's loads of DdC! Corne du Diable, with a bottling date of January. If you like your IPA's well aged... ;)

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

skaghevn wrote:Was in on Tuesday, and there's loads of DdC! Corne du Diable, with a bottling date of January. If you like your IPA's well aged... ;)
Yeah it's been sitting there for a while. People seem to be buying it... poor souls

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

I saw some new (old) beer on the floor tonight.

Thiriez / Jester King la Petite Princesse. 330 ml bottles for $1.75. BB 12/2016. There is about 9 cases.
Thiriez Etoile Du Nord. 330 ml bottles for $1.75. BB 12/2016. About 6 cases. Lots of sediment in the bottom of these ones.

I think they're doing some year end cleaning as there were some other odd old bottles: DDC Aphrodite ($1.75, Bottled 01/2013), LTD Saison du Tracteur (more than 2 years old), LTD Punkrauch, Fix Hellas (Greek lager).

And as mentioned earlier there's still a small mountain of one year old DDC Corne du Diable.

I'm hoping the Thiriez and Aphrodite are still holding up! At $1.75 per bottle I won't be complaining too much if they are bad.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ *Sigh*

I just had a bit of a sad reading that, Deepeary. I think I need to watch Old Yeller again just to brighten my mood...
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Haha, sorry to do that to you Belgian. Once in a blue moon the beer gods smile on us in northwest TO.

I've tasted both Thiriez bottles. Enjoyed the Petite Princesse more. I think the hops are all gone from the Etoile Du Nord, but it's still tasty. I might pick up a few more at these Laker Lager prices.