Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BakaGaijin wrote:Also, Knob Creek Small Batch is literally everywhere. This bourbon recently shocked the world...
Yes I've seen that figuratively everywhere, for the price I'm considering getting it . Even get an extra bottle for someone's milestone birthday. Good linked article thanks!
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

BakaGaijin wrote:Also, Knob Creek Small Batch is literally everywhere. This bourbon recently shocked the world at the San Francisco World Spirit Awards winning Best Bourbon in blind tasting.

http://fredminnick.com/best-bourbon-the ... rits-2015/
The one that won is listed at the LCBO as just Knob Creek Bourbon, not the Knob Creek Single Barrel, correct?
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:Also, Knob Creek Small Batch is literally everywhere. This bourbon recently shocked the world at the San Francisco World Spirit Awards winning Best Bourbon in blind tasting.

http://fredminnick.com/best-bourbon-the ... rits-2015/
The one that won is listed at the LCBO as just Knob Creek Bourbon, not the Knob Creek Single Barrel, correct?
Yes.

skootles

Post by skootles »

According to Wellington's Instagram page, Terrestrial India Brown Ale is coming to the LCBO in late May.

I never got a chance to try this last year (given that I have no means of getting to Guelph) so I'm looking forward to it.

Terrestrial India Brown Ale is being Re-Booted for Spring 2015! This unique hybrid beer strikes a beautiful balance of roasted malts and aromatic hops by bringing together the rich malt complexity of an English-style brown ale with 5 varieties of American-style hops: Chinook, Centennial, Cascade, Sorachi Ace, and Amarillo. Terrestrial India Brown is a dark mahogany brown in colour with a delightfully hoppy aroma, robust malt body, and a pronounced bitter finish. After winning a Gold Medal at the 2012 Canadian Brewing Awards, we’re happy to bring this beer back for spring 2015! Available in 750 mL bottles at the brewery on Friday April 24th and on LCBO shelves in late May. Cheers! #WellyReBooted #craftbeer #OntCraftBeer

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

atomeyes wrote:went to Leaside today to look for Weller12.
they have it at the tasting bar. did it side by side with Eagle Rare and another bourbon (wish i could remember).
the gent working there poured me other glasses, like Remy Martin ($115/bottle), Chartreuse ($100/bottle) and yeah, life was good.
charged me nadda.
bought the Weller b/c i thought it would make a very, very nice Manhattan due to its oak character. not loving it.
sorry if that's sacriledge :)
My current favourite Manhattan ingredients are Sazerac rye and Doolin sweet vermouth (just a touch).

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

black oak just tweeted that this will be at the lcbo next week for $8.95:

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

spinrsx wrote:black oak just tweeted that this will be at the lcbo next week for $8.95:

Interesting coincidence I drank an Epiphany No. 1 from my cellar last night...

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

"Imperial Pilsner."

No thanks.

Also, how long have Black Oak been lagering?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

liamt07 wrote:"Imperial Pilsner."

No thanks.
My thoughts exactly.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

No thanks.
Just curious, are you saying "No thanks" to the style, Black Oak doing it, or the price?
"There's always money in the banana stand."

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

If you don't dig lagers as a category, that's cool. Honestly, though, good, flavourful lagers are far more rare and harder to brew than most ales and thus are a little underrepresented in our market. I love well made lagers, so this is a definite "try" for me.

Edit: Would understand cringing at the price a little, though.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Kish84 wrote:

No thanks.
Just curious, are you saying "No thanks" to the style, Black Oak doing it, or the price?
All three.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

boney wrote:If you don't dig lagers as a category, that's cool. Honestly, though, good, flavourful lagers are far more rare and harder to brew than most ales and thus are a little underrepresented in our market. I love well made lagers, so this is a definite "try" for me.

Who said anything about me not digging lagers?

"Imperial Pilsners" are, in my opinion, an oxymoronic bastardization of what can be a very nice style (a simple German or Bohemian pils). I've had a few Imperial Pilsners and I've yet to be impressed by any of them.

If they wanted something for this limited release series, why couldn't they stick with something a tad more traditional like a baltic porter or doppelbock? :/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

boney wrote:Edit: Would understand cringing at the price a little, though.
I would like to try it, but it's probably cheaper than nine bucks on tap.

Liam may have a point about 'don't re-invent a round wheel' but Eggenberg has made some arguably good extreme lagers.
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

liamt07 wrote:
boney wrote:If you don't dig lagers as a category, that's cool. Honestly, though, good, flavourful lagers are far more rare and harder to brew than most ales and thus are a little underrepresented in our market. I love well made lagers, so this is a definite "try" for me.

Who said anything about me not digging lagers?

"Imperial Pilsners" are, in my opinion, an oxymoronic bastardization of what can be a very nice style (a simple German or Bohemian pils). I've had a few Imperial Pilsners and I've yet to be impressed by any of them.

If they wanted something for this limited release series, why couldn't they stick with something a tad more traditional like a baltic porter or doppelbock? :/
Fair enough. I've had a number of Imperial Pilsners that I've enjoyed, especially from Jacks Abby and Mikkeller, so different strokes, I guess. I'd never turn down a Baltic Porter, either.