Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Holiday Gifts 2014

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

El Pinguino wrote:I picked up a different Bernardus holiday pack in Buffalo a few years ago that DID have a glass, so I'm happy that my Bernies will be enjoyed in a proper glass, despite the LCBO trying to thwart me.
Hah. It tastes amazing in any of those kingly chalice & tulip glasses, though! The Chimay chalices seem perfect for St. Bernie, Rochefort and Westmalle. Still keeping it in the brotherhood (it's like putting Pontiac alloy five-spoke wheels on your 1980's Camaro.)
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

BakaGaijin wrote:
groulxsome wrote:The St Bernardus Mixed Pack is probably the best six pack I've ever seen on the LCBO shelves. Quite a nice little collection.
And cheaper than many other places around the world. It is 50% more expensive in the U.S.
Think about this. This 6 pack is 18+ bucks, while the Mill Street Barley Wine is 13+ bucks per bottle.

Holy fuck! Seriously. Are Mill Street and the LCBO and the OCB insane?

Also, I may just head to eBay to bit up a Bernadus challice. I think I'll have to. While yes, the other ones like the Chimay, Leffe, and Maredsous(the best of them all) will do fine... it's not a Berny.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

groulxsome wrote:The St Bernardus Mixed Pack is probably the best six pack I've ever seen on the LCBO shelves. Quite a nice little collection.
I bought 6 of them and reorganized them into six six-packs of each beer. A nice addition to my cellar.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I did the same, 12 6-packs. Created a whole new 'bernardus only' shelf in my cellar. Most the best before dates on these are pretty far out.
Masterplan wrote:
I bought 6 of them and reorganized them into six six-packs of each beer. A nice addition to my cellar.

nickw

Post by nickw »

Is what's currently in stock of the St. Bernardus Christmas Ale all that we're going to be seeing, or is there another batch that's going to be making its way to stores soon?

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

nickw wrote:Is what's currently in stock of the St. Bernardus Christmas Ale all that we're going to be seeing, or is there another batch that's going to be making its way to stores soon?
Good question...but usually the stores try to get this all out asap to move it off the shelves....a lot of the good packs sell out before Xmas, so I imagine this is it, if I had to guess.

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

My local has bottles of Bons Voeux on special clearance - I think they're $17 or something. Problem is that they've been on display under the bright fluorescent lights for...geez at least 4 months now. I know Saison Dupont is susceptible to being light struck but what about this Abbey Trippel? Anyone know if it can withstand?

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Beer'n'gin wrote:My local has bottles of Bons Voeux on special clearance - I think they're $17 or something. Problem is that they've been on display under the bright fluorescent lights for...geez at least 4 months now. I know Saison Dupont is susceptible to being light struck but what about this Abbey Trippel? Anyone know if it can withstand?
Brown bottle on the Bons Voeux isn't it?
saintjohnswort.ca

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm pretty sure it's green.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

If you buy it and it's skunked, you can probably get your money back so long as you have the receipt and bring back the bottle with liquid inside it.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I found some bottles at Easter, they were on the regular shelf at room temp and they were still good... If that helps.