Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

boney wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
boney wrote:If you don't dig lagers as a category, that's cool. Honestly, though, good, flavourful lagers are far more rare and harder to brew than most ales and thus are a little underrepresented in our market. I love well made lagers, so this is a definite "try" for me.

Edit: Would understand cringing at the price a little, though.
Who said anything about me not digging lagers?

"Imperial Pilsners" are, in my opinion, an oxymoronic bastardization of what can be a very nice style (a simple German or Bohemian pils). I've had a few Imperial Pilsners and I've yet to be impressed by any of them.

If they wanted something for this limited release series, why couldn't they stick with something a tad more traditional like a baltic porter or doppelbock? :/
Fair enough. I've had a number of Imperial Pilsners that I've enjoyed, especially from Jacks Abby and Mikkeller, so different strokes, I guess. I'd never turn down a Baltic Porter, either.
I'll partially retract my statement to indicate that I'm a Jack's Abby fanboy. If I knew Jack's Abby was releasing another jacked up pilsner/lager, I'd be excited. Black Oak however? Not so much.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

I've enjoyed King's Imperial while Stonehammer missed the mark

Have yet to have a bad brew from BO and will look forward to this one

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

LCBO product number is 409854 for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

6 pack - $13.95

skootles

Post by skootles »

Double Trouble has a new seasonal ginger red IPA coming to the LCBO sometime in May.

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2015/04 ... l-release/
Revenge of The Ginger is a kickin’ Ginger Red IPA. The hint of ginger gives a nice little extra kick back with the Northern and Saaz hops. A strong pale ale at 6.2% abv, this beer has a brilliant amber appearance with a creamy white head, and exhibits a great balance of malt and fresh ginger flavour. And like people Gingers, you need to keep it out of the hot sun. We’ve created a balanced tasty beer that Gingers, and people who kick Gingers (we prefer hugs), can love!

Double Trouble Revenge of the Ginger will be released next month at LCBO locations across Ontario, selling for $3 per 473 ml can while supplies last.
Last edited by skootles on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Does anyone know if Summerhill is the only store that got the Weller? The web site inventory isn't updated.
There are a few bottles at Bayview Village.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Ha, Revenge of The Ginger.....sounds tasty!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

anyone spot any sierra nevada yet?
Ukie wrote:
spinrsx wrote:April 20th ehhhh...

Masterplan wrote:
That's a good April fools....

Getting back to beer, I asked at my local store about a week or two ago and from what they could see it wasn't even in the warehouse yet!

Testing plus the trickling down to the stores, May?

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

spinrsx wrote:anyone spot any sierra nevada yet?
Ukie wrote:
spinrsx wrote:April 20th ehhhh...

Getting back to beer, I asked at my local store about a week or two ago and from what they could see it wasn't even in the warehouse yet!

Testing plus the trickling down to the stores, May?

Writing its final exams as we speak, if it passes.........

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

It's May in less than 8 hours.

Still no sign of Sierra Nevada in the LCBO.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:It's May in less than 8 hours.

Still no sign of Sierra Nevada in the LCBO.
well past noon on april fools too...

not even showing up in the lcbo app, I know internal system's likely handle product before the app but I've never seen a product in stores before it's in the lcbo app.

#sierranevadapalealegate

Edit: just proven wrong as apparently thrust is also in stores and not yet in the app... but that stuff was from down the street.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

There were cases of SNPA on the floor at Summerhill last night. The 6-packs are going for $14.95... a little more expensive than I thought it was going to be, but I still grabbed one anyway.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Sierra Nevada pale ale is $150 a case through private saq import. $60 at the lcbo is a steal :)

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

It may be boring, and an odd choice for a "limited bottling," but the Epiphany Imp. Pilsner was pretty good this evening with BBQ. Better than the regular local pilsner offerings in my opinion. Were it in a more reasonable format, I'd keep it in the fridge during the summer.

Publican

Post by Publican »

Anybody heard when Stone IPA will be on LCBO shelves?

skootles

Post by skootles »

Muskoka's got their Summerweiss and a new beer series coming out.

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2015/05 ... le-series/
Following soon is the initial installment in the Moonlight Kettle Series, which will feature beers that are “hand crafted in unique ways, with the brewery’s solemn promise to never brew the same beer twice.”

First in the series is Moonlight Kettle Summer Saison, a 7.3% abv farmhouse ale that “has a light, golden orange appearance with a creamy head, offering a warming aftertaste from the hint of spice.”

Moonlight Kettle Summer Saison will be available in 750 ml corked and 341 ml standard bottles at the Muskoka retail store, with the 750 ml format also to be released at select LCBO outlets.