Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I'm confused GI Goose IPA is listed at 4% abv on RB and the bottles look the same as what we have here, but our bottles are 5.9%. GI IPA is listed at 5.9% abv on RB.

I also didn't care for the bottle I had for the same reasons mentioned above.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

El Pinguino wrote: Goose Island has 2 IPAs. "Goose IPA" and their "India Pale Ale". Cratez is describing a beer that would be their India Pale Ale...that is highly rated...and not available to us. It's an American IPA.

The beer we have is the Goose IPA...English IPA. If you look it up, it's in no way meant to be overly hoppy.

When you put it in perspective it's nice...when you think you're getting a hoppy, American IPA, it sucks.
That's incorrect. They only have one IPA; they've just rebranded the India Pale Ale as "Goose IPA."

They list all of their current and formerly available beers on their website, and you'll notice there's no India Pale Ale listed under either category, only the Goose IPA.

The IPA has always been a hybrid of the US and English IPA styles, but leaned more toward the American style with an assertive citrusy hop character. At least until it started being brewed by A-B / Labatt.

As far as I can tell, the RB listing for the Goose IPA is just plain wrong; somebody thought it was a new beer, got the ABV wrong (it's 5.9% ABV, not 4%) and didn't know it was just a rebranded version of the India Pale Ale.

The rebranding may have coincided with the contracting out of production to A-B / Labatt facilities, but I don't know for certain.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

I picked up a bottle of Harviestoun Orach Slie. It's another scotch cask aged old ale from Harvestoun, though this time it doesn't carry the moniker Ola Dubh. This has spent time in Glenfarclas casks.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

cratez wrote:
El Pinguino wrote: Goose Island has 2 IPAs. "Goose IPA" and their "India Pale Ale". Cratez is describing a beer that would be their India Pale Ale...that is highly rated...and not available to us. It's an American IPA.

The beer we have is the Goose IPA...English IPA. If you look it up, it's in no way meant to be overly hoppy.

When you put it in perspective it's nice...when you think you're getting a hoppy, American IPA, it sucks.
That's incorrect. They only have one IPA; they've just rebranded the India Pale Ale as "Goose IPA."

They list all of their current and formerly available beers on their website, and you'll notice there's no India Pale Ale listed under either category, only the Goose IPA.

The IPA has always been a hybrid of the US and English IPA styles, but leaned more toward the American style with an assertive citrusy hop character. At least until it started being brewed by A-B / Labatt.

As far as I can tell, the RB listing for the Goose IPA is just plain wrong; somebody thought it was a new beer, got the ABV wrong (it's 5.9% ABV, not 4%) and didn't know it was just a rebranded version of the India Pale Ale.

The rebranding may have coincided with the contracting out of production to A-B / Labatt facilities, but I don't know for certain.
Thanks. That certainly makes a lot more sense than having two beers, one called IPA and the other called India Pale Ale, which would be almost comically confusing, even for A-B InBev.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Beer'n'gin wrote:I picked up a bottle of Harviestoun Orach Slie. It's another scotch cask aged old ale from Harvestoun, though this time it doesn't carry the moniker Ola Dubh. This has spent time in Glenfarclas casks.
The Orach Slie is a BA lager.

https://harviestoun.com/our-beers/orach-slie

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at the lcbo

MillStreet Grapefruit League Imp Pale Ale 7% 750mL $9.45

Grey

Post by Grey »

I picked up a 4 pack of St. Ambroise Maple today...

ST AMBRIOSE MAPLE BEER
LCBO 416081 | 4x341 mL bottle

I just noticed the spelling error as I pasted that text (from the Food & Drink site). :roll:

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Ceecee wrote:
Beer'n'gin wrote:I picked up a bottle of Harviestoun Orach Slie. It's another scotch cask aged old ale from Harvestoun, though this time it doesn't carry the moniker Ola Dubh. This has spent time in Glenfarclas casks.
The Orach Slie is a BA lager.

https://harviestoun.com/our-beers/orach-slie
and it's pretty average

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

I just noticed the spelling error
Great googalee moogalee.

I hope you like the beer. We were surprised as the LCBO called us a couple months ago asking for it... that never happens!

I am recommending this pairing (see link below) -- either head down to Barque for brunch or make it at home:

http://www.torontolife.com/daily-dish/d ... -pancakes/

Cheers,
Barry

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Frere Ambroise wrote:I hope you like the beer.
The St Ambroise is presently my favourite maple beer that I've tried.

Schoune made a maple beer that I tried in 2005 which was fantastic! I sadly only brought one bottle home to try. The next year we did Mondiale and I was really looking forward to getting more but they changed the recipe reducing the maple and increasing the bitterness. BOO!
lister

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

midlife crisis wrote:
cratez wrote:

Thanks. That certainly makes a lot more sense than having two beers, one called IPA and the other called India Pale Ale, which would be almost comically confusing, even for A-B InBev.
Huh, so weird. Whatever IPA is kicking around at the Jays game sure isn't a hoppy American style brew.

I was actually looking at the 2 beers on Untappd.
The "Goose IPA" English style IPA was added back in 2010, and if you look at the photos of check-ins from before INBEV time, the bottles clearly say "English Style IPA".

So I think you may be mistaken about the historical assertive, citrusy American slant to the beer?

Looking at the other IPA listed there, it was added only about a month ago, and has photos of the same bottles....so I think you're right that there is only 1 IPA from Goose, as per their website.

It seems that the Goose IPA, as per their website has won awards for being an English-style IPA dating back to 2000.

Perhaps we're both partially mistaken, haha. In the ned, it seems there is no "American IPA" readily available from Goose Island.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Frere Ambroise wrote:I hope you like the beer. We were surprised as the LCBO called us a couple months ago asking for it... that never happens!

I am recommending this pairing (see link below) -- either head down to Barque for brunch or make it at home:

http://www.torontolife.com/daily-dish/d ... -pancakes/
Barry I had the latest brewing of St. Ambroise Erable and it is freaking great, had it at Only Cafe.

And of course the Duck Pancake recipe sounds Quebec as f**k, but also anything blueberry with the flavor of maple added is incredible-tasting. Those guys at Barque better have some Erable on tap! I mean it!
In Beerum Veritas

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I had the Goose Island IPA tonight at my local (Yay Blackburn Arms!) and while I wasn't in notes mode, my overall thoughts on the beer tonight mirror 100% my slightly more detailed notes I made on the beer from a month ago in Las Vegas. No way the one I had tonight was a significantly different beer than the one I had in the US.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

On Sunday I had the Goose IPA from the "pour your own" taps at Betty's. I was nervous/curious after reading this thread but was pleasantly surprised. There is definitely american hop character. I wonder if the draught version is imported and the bottled version brewed here.

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Barry I had the latest brewing of St. Ambroise Erable and it is freaking great, had it at Only Cafe.
Merci!
Those guys at Barque better have some Erable on tap! I mean it!
They had it -- but not currently (just found out this morning). Timing a bit off between draught and the LCBO wanting it for their shelves. I`ve asked to see if they will bring it back - even with some of these bottles.

Or you can have the bottles at home and order delivery?!

http://barque.ca/delivery/ But it looks like the brunch isn't on the menu. The Maple Cedar Smoked Salmon would be nice together.

(**I just love the Duck Pancakes and love Barque that's why I recommended it. I have reserved a spot on their shelves for my urn - just so I could be in heaven after I go.**) :lol:

Might be worthwhile to check them out this weekend or next while making the trek to High Park to see the cherry blossoms.

Cheers,
Barry