Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

lister wrote:Homebrew saison.

At the office.

It's only taken me 20 fucking years to finally work at a place that has beer... and on tap.

:D
The office pub?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

rfrf wrote:
lister wrote:Homebrew saison.

At the office.

It's only taken me 20 fucking years to finally work at a place that has beer... and on tap.

The office pub?

Not The Office Pub.

I'm at a financial company. A good one. An exception to the rule.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Got back to the kick-ass Saison Dupont, this time with delectable fatty slices of grilled prime rib I put away in the fridge.

I have to say the fats together with this citrusy ale are delicious and creamy, and this flavor combination would make an impressive picnic snack.
In Beerum Veritas

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Wells Young Courage Russian Imperial Stout, 2013 Vintage. Some aged development but nothing to detract from the fine mocha-like flavour. Good sharp neutral bitterness. Some residuum of the pear esters properly noted on the label when the beer first came out. A classic and better than most or all North American examples.

Kentucky Common Collaboration of Northwinds and Left Field. A superb beer, subtle in the best possible way, reminded me of Anchor Steam draft in San Francisco. At Volo the other day.

Underdog Brewing Hopfenweisse. Had this a couple of times now at Against The Grain and it is first rate, a good comparison to Denison's Wheat Beer (now made by Sidelaunch Brewing). Each very good but different.

Stone Black IPA in the bottle. Classy well-balanced clean rich beer, Stone rarely disappoints.

Gary
Gary Gillman

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

While watching the game last night with Sprague11

How Sound Hopraiser - nice citrusy burst to it, with a slightly acidic stone fruit finish
Wild Beer Evolver - barn funky nose, but the flavour profile is far more of an English IPA
Surly/FFF/Real Ale Blakkr - smooth chocolate roast, more of a woodsy, mushroom type bitterness, highlight of the night for me
Girardin 1882 Kriek - not very acidic, light cherry blossom aroma, cherry jam and cloves in the mouth
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Enjoying a Goose Island IPA, 12-pack rather cheap from The Beer Store. Bought up the last one at Kingston Village location.

This is a very nice basic light but hoppy IPA, under two buck a pop when you factor out the deposit. Pretty good batch & I can serve this to guests who are not as hardcore fanatics.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Smuttynose imperial stout. I'm up in air about this one. I love the mouthfeel....and it smells great, coffee beans, dark chocolates, anise seed and leather. The taste doesn't live up to the smell IMO. Nice coffee flavour and a little bit of citrusy hops, however I find the finish to be almost red wine-like tannic and there's a lot of heat. I know it's 10% and all, but wow. I can't remember what I paid for it, somewhere around 10$ or so and I feel that it's not worth it. I did buy two bottles, so will sit on the other and see if the tannin sort of thing and the heat mellows

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

yeah, I wasn't very impressed with the smuttynose imperial stout - very hot on the alcohol.
I was really looking forward to it after having their robust porter this winter... that is a fantastic cold weather beer that I hope comes back.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Last night at C'est What? and beerbistro:
Black Oak & Victory Cafe My Old Flame (draft)
Local 7 Session Gose (draft)
Stone IPA (draft)
2006 O’Hanlon’s Thomas Hardy’s Ale (bottle)

Right now:
Junction Craft Engineer’s IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

5 Paddles Baby Belge.
DDC Moralite IPA.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Smuttynose imperial stout. … I find the finish to be almost red wine-like tannic and there's a lot of heat. I know it's 10% and all, but wow.
Might benefit from leaving the bottle open in the fridge for a few hours to mellow out, or just close a bottle part empty and leave it in there for a day. I have found this can mellow a unruly beer by letting some of the harsh VOC's blow off. Another faster way is to carefully decant and leave covered in fridge a little while, but avoid too much loss of carbonation.

I may try this aeration with the Smut. Sounds like a beer with some character.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:Smuttynose imperial stout. … I find the finish to be almost red wine-like tannic and there's a lot of heat. I know it's 10% and all, but wow.
Might benefit from leaving the bottle open in the fridge for a few hours to mellow out, or just close a bottle part empty and leave it in there for a day. I have found this can mellow a unruly beer by letting some of the harsh VOC's blow off. Another faster way is to carefully decant and leave covered in fridge a little while, but avoid too much loss of carbonation.

I may try this aeration with the Smut. Sounds like a beer with some character.

Good advice. I drank the other half this afternoon and it was much more enjoyable, mellowed out quite a bit

Grey

Post by Grey »

Right now at Loose Moose
GLB Trust!
Brewdog Punk IPA

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

homebrewed saison

Mad & Noisy Hop & Weizen on deck!

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker