Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

People's Pint - May 29th

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

People's Pint - May 29th

Post by Cass »

http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/peoples-pint ... 6685470692
We now have a complete list of the beers we'll be serving at our Friday May 29th Members Only Event at the Gladstone Hotel - Check it out:
"Saaz Pils" - Dry Hopped German Pilsner
"Kona Blonde" - Coffee Infused Blonde Ale
"Confederation Porter" - Historic 1867 India Porter
"Azathoth" - American Imperial IPA
"Saison du Printemps" - Brett Saison
"RGBee" - Belgian Tripel With Honey
"Bruce" - Down Under Style American Stout
"Sheila" - White IPA
"Coco Loco" - Coconut Brown
"White Rabbit" - Smoked Wit Beer
"Engrish Frootball" - English Mild with Lycees
"Weiss Bitten Twice Rye" - German Style Hefeweizen with Rye
"Heat of the Night" - Dry Hopped Dark Saison
"Mangose" - Gose Style with Mangos
"Monster Claw" - Milk Chocolate Lobster Stout
"Double Bounce Philae Lander Milk Stout" - Milk Stout
"Petén Itzá Mayan Rum Porter" - Brown Porter with Coffee & Rum
"Old School Sarsaparilla Ale" - American Amber
To attend the event and try any of these beers you must be a member. Joining this Artisanal Beer Appreciation Club is easy, you can purchase your membership here:
http://peoplespint.eventbrite.ca
Please note you must purchase your membership in advance, they will not be sold at the door.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

Can't see a ticket price, aside from the membership fee. Any idea how much that is?

Anyone from BT brewing? Or attending?

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

http://www.momandhops.ca/peoples-pint-c ... ebrew-pub/
Toronto, ON – The People’s Pint Brewing Collective this week announced its first Artisanal Beer Tasting Event celebrating the art of homebrewing, spearheaded by Beer Sommelier Doug Appeldoorn, co-founder of now defunct Brauhaus.

Hosted Friday May 29, 2015 at the Gladstone Hotel in Toronto, the People’s Pint Brewing Collective brings together beer from 16 local homebrewers including a Coffee Blonde, Dry Hopped German Pilsner, Coconut Brown Ale, Belgian Tripel with Honey & Camomile, Brett Saison, White IPA, Mayan Chocolate Rum Porter and more.

The $40 membership to attend includes entry, specialty glass, at least 8 beer samples, food and music.

Brewer-Owned Brewing System at the Gladstone Hotel

Based upon the success of the events and a coming Kickstarter campaign, Appeldoorn says the collective plans to launch a brewer-owned 2 hectolitre brewing system at the Gladstone Hotel.

“The system will be staffed by a rotating roster of some of the best home brewers in the city,” explains Appeldoorn.

“It’ll be the world’s first home brew pub!”

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Cadbury102 wrote:Can't see a ticket price, aside from the membership fee. Any idea how much that is?

Anyone from BT brewing? Or attending?
The membership fee is the ticket price. I think that's basically how they get around whatever weird Ontario laws surely make it difficult to sell homebrew. If it's anything like the Brauhaus events used to be, there will be plentiful beer for all.

Oh, and I'll be there with some beer friends.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

I brewed a Saaz Pils and Kona Coffee Blonde for the event. Come say hi if you are attending.
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

any reviews from this event?

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

I thought it was a great event by and large. I mean it's hard to top the roof deck in beautiful sunshine of the last Brauhaus event, but I think the beer quality was higher this time.

My two favourites were the Azaroth Double IPA and the Saison du Printemps Brett Saison. After that, the Mangose Gose style with mangoes was next….interestingly enough, they had accidentally swapped the lines with a different beer, and I would have sworn the other one tasted more of mango. I found the Kona blond to be an interesting attempt to do something with coffee in a style other than porter or stout.

There were no tickets, so it was basically drink what you want which was refreshing. Unlike previous Brauhaus events food was not included…I didn't try the food, but my friends who did were shall we say underwhelmed.

One thing I loved was that people are friendly at these beer events. People in Toronto do not socially interact at bars very often, so this was refreshing. Overall, quite a good event.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I was a little groggy from the previous night's Goose Island event, but I dug deep to head out to this for a bit.

Overall a nice event for sure. Having the homebrews available is totally unique, and made the event selection really something completely different that what's usually on offer at festival type events. Not having to worry about tickets for samples was welcome, although due to the previous night I didn't feel much like pounding them back :)

I agree on the friendliness of the event, I ended up chatting with random strangers often. And it was nice to chat with some of the brew community, and a few guys from the forum who were there.

The beers were great for my taste and liked to see some experimentation as well as some 'accessible' beers. Full marks to the organizers and I hope they continue with more events like these.

My only quibble: separate the beer tables more. It wasn't a large room, but having all the beer tables virtually right in a row make it tricky to get in and out for beer.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

napoleon wrote:I thought it was a great event by and large. I mean it's hard to top the roof deck in beautiful sunshine of the last Brauhaus event, but I think the beer quality was higher this time.

My two favourites were the Azaroth Double IPA and the Saison du Printemps Brett Saison. After that, the Mangose Gose style with mangoes was next….interestingly enough, they had accidentally swapped the lines with a different beer, and I would have sworn the other one tasted more of mango. I found the Kona blond to be an interesting attempt to do something with coffee in a style other than porter or stout.

There were no tickets, so it was basically drink what you want which was refreshing. Unlike previous Brauhaus events food was not included…I didn't try the food, but my friends who did were shall we say underwhelmed.

One thing I loved was that people are friendly at these beer events. People in Toronto do not socially interact at bars very often, so this was refreshing. Overall, quite a good event.
I really enjoyed the Azaroth, the Mangose, and Kona Blond as well. Agreed about the friendliness of the event - was a lot of fun and very relaxed.