Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Random Reviews

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Belgian wrote:Alesmith Speedway Stout - holy cow what a powerful, delicous beer. I've wanted to try this for about ten years, and the 'muchness' of Alesmith's beer-crafting makes their products extremely rewarding. I could envisage the barrel-aged version being even more mouth-coating, if that's even possible.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Golden Pheasant (Slovakia)
Both have a respectable biscuit malt profile, and while Golden Pheasant or Czechvar might be the perfect foil to a hot crunchy schnitzel, I might stick with the Goose IPA as my main fridge beer for the forseeable future (while see how Stone IPA impresses me upon its hopefully pristine arrival.)
The batch of Pilsner Urquell in stores right now was canned/bottled in mid March. The Czechvar was brewed early January. I love Czechvar, but the Urquell is in far better shape right now. at many places it's $2 a can.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Anyone be offended if I throw links from by blog in here when I review stuff?
saintjohnswort.ca

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

saints_gambit wrote:Anyone be offended if I throw links from by blog in here when I review stuff?
Content is king, I think it would be good.
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

ercousin wrote:
saints_gambit wrote:Anyone be offended if I throw links from by blog in here when I review stuff?
Content is king, I think it would be good.
Would be very pleased to read your reviews.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Then I think you're really going to get a kick out of this one.

http://saintjohnswort.ca/revisit-trafalgar-ales-meads/
saintjohnswort.ca

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Beau Beaver River IPEh?, orange-coloured as much English IPA was, very hoppy, more English than American or maybe it's from drinking it at room temperature. Real beer in every way and very traditional.

Labatt Blue. Bottle. Very fresh, leaving rings on glass, noticeable mineral hop in the background (probably German hops), but unfortunately - for me - the adjunct dominates the flavour and finish. I wonder if the spec was the same in the 1970's. I recall the beer being richer then with some hop aroma.

Nickel Brook Equilibrium ESB, cask at Bar Hop. Very good, not quite the pinpoint precision and depth of flavour of the greatest English bitters but a very good version and pouring nicely translucent.

Gary
Gary Gillman

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Working my way through the Cameron's Brew master Selection pack.

RECLINE PALE ALE

Decent low abv pale Ale, in the line of collective arts state of mind, detour and red racer ISA. Nice crisp and hop of the start and hollow finish. Very 'crushable'. Better than collective arts offering, but doesn't touch detour or RR ISA.

INTO THE SHADE SAISON

A mix of apple juice and cat pee, devoid of the typical saison crispness and not exactly dry. Not quite a drain pour, but not far off.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Masterplan wrote:Working my way through the Cameron's Brew master Selection pack.

RECLINE PALE ALE

Decent low abv pale Ale, in the line of collective arts state of mind, detour and red racer ISA. Nice crisp and hop of the start and hollow finish. Very 'crushable'. Better than collective arts offering, but doesn't touch detour or RR ISA.
Or Cruiser? It is the best of the bunch for me. How do you compare it to the others mentioned? (I haven't tried Recline or RR, so trying to get a read).

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

midlife crisis wrote:
Masterplan wrote:Working my way through the Cameron's Brew master Selection pack.

RECLINE PALE ALE

Or Cruiser? It is the best of the bunch for me. How do you compare it to the others mentioned? (I haven't tried Recline or RR, so trying to get a read).
Cruiser never made it to Kingston. But from what I've had I'd rank them:

Red Racer ISA
Detour
Collective Arts Saint of Circumstance
Recline
Collective Arts State of Mind

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

don't get the cruiser love at all

to me red racer ISA is in a class all it's own. really surprised it isn't more popular.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

jeremyg wrote:don't get the cruiser love at all

to me red racer ISA is in a class all it's own. really surprised it isn't more popular.
Agreed. I like Cruiser but the Red Racer takes the cake.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Interesting...not a fan of the Red Racer ISA...was too "grassy" and simple when I had it. Prefer Cruiser, Detour. But if I'm going for the low ABV stuff (under 5%) I stick to Wizard Wolf.
Malcolm wrote:

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Malcolm wrote:

Pretty consistent feedback - will def give RR a try.

EDIT: before El Pinguino's comments, which I just saw. Will give it a try and post where I stand.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

El Pinguino wrote:Interesting...not a fan of the Red Racer ISA...was too "grassy" and simple when I had it. Prefer Cruiser, Detour. But if I'm going for the low ABV stuff (under 5%) I stick to Wizard Wolf.
Malcolm wrote:

yeah wizard wolf is definitely tops too. so good.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Did a little tasting:

1. Red Racer ISA
2. Cruiser
3. CA State of Mind

Not sure Cruiser even belongs in this category, really, at 4.9% abv. My personal cut off for a "session beer" would be 4.5 max.