Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Homebrewing Competition

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BakaGaijin

Bellwoods Homebrewing Competition

Post by BakaGaijin »

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

some "controversy" over the contest.

as a friend said "it's not a competition, it's a pageant."

the lack of BJCP styles/guidelines is something i, for one, love.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I can't really see why there would be any controversy over it.

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

atomeyes wrote:the lack of BJCP styles/guidelines is something i, for one, love.
Me too.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

I don't recall ever making a beer to fit style. The industry is not based on meeting style...it is based on the opposite. Having beers judged by style is amusing but useless. I loved some of the comments I get from judges about being out of style....oh well. Shit happens.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Sounds fun to me as well.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Pretty cool. Should be creative. I hope Bellwoods posts all the brews that are entered as I'm curious to see what people entered.
lister

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Rob Creighton wrote:I don't recall ever making a beer to fit style. The industry is not based on meeting style...it is based on the opposite. Having beers judged by style is amusing but useless. I loved some of the comments I get from judges about being out of style....oh well. Shit happens.
pretty much why i've never submitted a beer to a competition. well, that and i lose 3 beer.
couldn't care less if i win the best premium lager or whatever. i just want a beer that tastes good.
besides, all the sour and brett-related styles (i.e. lumped in with other shit) is frustrating.

-Liam-

Post by -Liam- »

So did anybody here enter this? I dropped off 2 bottles today.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Yep. I dropped off three beers on Sunday. I was #43. The reaction on two of the three will be interesting. :wink: Dropping them off garnered comments on one of them.
lister

-Liam-

Post by -Liam- »

lister wrote:Yep. I dropped off three beers on Sunday. I was #43. The reaction on two of the three will be interesting. :wink: Dropping them off garnered comments on one of them.
What were they?
I never noticed the number on my application, but do you think there were that few?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

-Liam- wrote:
lister wrote:Yep. I dropped off three beers on Sunday. I was #43. The reaction on two of the three will be interesting. :wink: Dropping them off garnered comments on one of them.
What were they?
I never noticed the number on my application, but do you think there were that few?
Two beers that I was going to submit didn't turn out how I wanted. I was up to v4 and v3 of them and they just didn't turn out right so mad scramble to come up with something else. The third beer was to be caramel apple but after racking it to secondary and putting the remaining apple juice in, fermentation kick up again (of course) though slowly and it wouldn't stop for nearly a week. It was still going on Sunday and I couldn't potentially give them a bottle bomb so I raided my previous stuff, found the sour and thought of the name which amused me.

Noseferhopew (Nose fer hop pew)
Honey Roasted Garlic Wheat v2
Had enough time to do two versions. v1 was tasty. The garlic was subtle and the honey came through well. I doubled up the garlic for v2. Subtly was gone but I think it's still drinkable. One test subject thought it was "fucking amazing!" If I had time I would have done a v3 as a midpoint which I think would have been perfect. Oh well. I'll revisit that later this year for Halloween.

Shin Hopyun
Spicy Ramen Red Ale
Got my inspiration for this from watching David Chang's Youtube channel where he did some unorthodox stuff with ramen. Based off the package instructions, the math said seven seasoning packets for one gallon. Uh no, I went with three. Good call that. It's got a good burn but not too much. It's got some staying power but not too long. It's got some ramen noodle flavour on the back-end. You wouldn't do a session of these but a single bottle works well. (Yes I did try the noodles after the boil. Yuck! Sweet, bitter and spicy. Ugh. Pick two.)

Soury About the Other Two
Sour

I was surprised at the number written down. I figured it would be higher. There were two guys in ahead of me. Could be a fair number of stragglers with a day and a half to go at that point.

Anyways, I'm not going to win, there's too many talented homebrewers out there that'll do something better that's easier to replicate and scale up. I do think I'll be remembered though. :wink: :P
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/a-winner/

Two shout-outs! :lol:

My sour made it to the top 21 out of 129.
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Nobody else posting their results?
lister

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Just out of curiosity, how did the ramen and the garlic beers rank?