Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

PeenSteen wrote:Rogue-Voodoo Donut Lemon Cruler Ale
Oh my! :roll:

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Belgian wrote:Haven't purchased Summerweiss in years sadly but just brought home some Sierra Nevada Pala Ale. I went through a Goose IPA 12-pack very quickly (like s##t through a proverbial Goose, you might say) so for half a buck more I will see how the SN fares as a "low-commitment relationship…"

Is anybody putting together a Rogue Voodoo Donut vertical of sorts, for a shared tasting because I could imagine the event (and the resultant hangover) to be unforgettable. I've yet to try one of these freakish creations. Are they even sorta good?
I tried the first one, at their pub in Portland no less, and it was not even sort of good. Very bad.

skootles

Post by skootles »

Belgian wrote: Is anybody putting together a Rogue Voodoo Donut vertical of sorts, for a shared tasting because I could imagine the event (and the resultant hangover) to be unforgettable. I've yet to try one of these freakish creations. Are they even sorta good?
To be honest, I kind of liked the raspberry chocolate one. I shared it with a handful of friends and nobody else could stand it, but I happily drank it. I mean it wasn't great, but to me it tasted like a porter with subtle chocolate and raspberry.

On a recent trip to Edmonton I picked up the Sriracha Stout and the Rogue Lemon Chiffon Crueller one and brought them home. Again I shared them with a handful of friends but nobody liked them. The Sriracha stout was alright, it reminded me a bit of Sawdust City's Red Rocket, but without the coffee. Interesting but I wouldn't buy it again unless it was for a gift or for the novelty. The Rogue lemon doughnut one though was just plain bad. None of my friends liked it at all and I thought it tasted like a really fake lemon flavouring.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

skootles wrote:
Belgian wrote: On a recent trip to Edmonton I picked up the Sriracha Stout and the Rogue Lemon Chiffon Crueller one and brought them home. Again I shared them with a handful of friends but nobody liked them. The Sriracha stout was alright, it reminded me a bit of Sawdust City's Red Rocket, but without the coffee. Interesting but I wouldn't buy it again unless it was for a gift or for the novelty. The Rogue lemon doughnut one though was just plain bad. None of my friends liked it at all and I thought it tasted like a really fake lemon flavouring.
I picked up the Sriracha stout on a work trip about a month and a half ago. I thought it was dreadful. I've had spicy stouts before - but what I found terrible was the garlic flavour. It was honestly one of the worst beers I've ever had.

skootles

Post by skootles »

Weird, I never got any garlic flavour in my bottle.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Yeah, I love much of what Rogue does, but their crazy flavors just don't do it for me. It's the kind of thing that I'd love a 2-3 oz taste of...but definitely not a bottle.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

napoleon wrote:Yeah, I love much of what Rogue does, but their crazy flavors just don't do it for me. It's the kind of thing that I'd love a 2-3 oz taste of...but definitely not a bottle.
The really sad thing here is that in the minds of LCBO buyers *this* is what craft beer is all about.
It's just like how they're looking for ciders with "new, innovative flavours" (their words), meanwhile completely ignoring the renaissance of quality, artisan ciders.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Was talking with my dude at my local lcbo (cornwall, oakville) and he was saying stone should be arriving storewide at the end of the month

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

jeremyg wrote:Was talking with my dude at my local lcbo (cornwall, oakville) and he was saying stone should be arriving storewide at the end of the month

Stone-IPA #425975
Stone-Arrogant Bastard #425983
Stone-Cali-Belgique IPA #425942

-Liam-

Post by -Liam- »

Do the LCBO have plans to get in any of the other Stone beers? I was pretty underwhelmed by their IPA and Arrogant Bastard. I did however have their Ruination 2.0 recently and it is killer!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

3 new beers from 1 brewer at the lcbo is a good start, let's not push our luck :lol:
-Liam- wrote:Do the LCBO have plans to get in any of the other Stone beers? I was pretty underwhelmed by their IPA and Arrogant Bastard. I did however have their Ruination 2.0 recently and it is killer!

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

i'm not huge on arrogant bastard but stone ipa is one of my favorites and very underrated imho

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

:D Underwhelmed by two stalwarts of their styles. Lol.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

jeremyg wrote:i'm not huge on arrogant bastard but stone ipa is one of my favorites and very underrated imho
Funny, I'm the opposite....the IPA is nice, but nothing I'll buy much of; whereas the Bastard is a real pleaser.

-Liam-

Post by -Liam- »

Blasphomet wrote::D Underwhelmed by two stalwarts of their styles. Lol.
I think people get a little too hung up on the Stone name. I'm sure when they were released years ago, they were groundbreaking and ahead of their time, for sure. But since then, many many Ales and IPAs have surpassed them. As I said, their Ruination 2.0 is fantastic, so I'm certainly not knocking them as a brewery, they have proven themselves over the years. It's just that their basic, early offerings don't do much to excite me.