Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bellwoods Homebrewing Competition

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Craig wrote:Just out of curiosity, how did the ramen and the garlic beers rank?
They didn't say in their email. I suspect, given what was written in the blog post, likely not very high and possibly near the bottom. :P
The beers did give them a laugh, including the name of the sour.
They're completely impractical to brew on Bellwoods scale so even if they liked them, the beers would have been eliminated immediately anyways.

I might ask them for their rank and for any notes, or not.

I don't really care though to be honest. Other than some slight tweaking to the honey garlic beer, they came out how I wanted. I'm my own worst critic.

Now if there's a Bellwoods Homebrewing Competition v2... Hmmmm... What to do? :wink:
lister

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

I still want to try those garlic and ramen beers. I laughed that you got two shout outs in the first paragraph!

The winner apparently is an assistant brewer at Duggan's now, which is pretty cool. Though kinda uncool of Duggan's to put out a press release about it, to my mind. Seems a little stealing thunder.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

groulxsome wrote:I still want to try those garlic and ramen beers. I laughed that you got two shout outs in the first paragraph!
Yeah I laughed too. My co-workers were wondering "WTF?"

Jeff from Indie Alehouse wants to try them. The ramen beer is done so I'm brewing another batch. He's getting the last bottle each of honey garlic v1 and v2 but I'm also brewing a v3 which will sit about midway between v1 and v2.

So I'll save you a ramen and a honey garlic v3 and do a drop off in early July. Perfect weather for these beers. :P
lister

-Liam-

Post by -Liam- »

groulxsome wrote:I still want to try those garlic and ramen beers. I laughed that you got two shout outs in the first paragraph!

The winner apparently is an assistant brewer at Duggan's now, which is pretty cool. Though kinda uncool of Duggan's to put out a press release about it, to my mind. Seems a little stealing thunder.
Well, I didn't win anyway, Ha! I had zero expectations, though. I got an email saying that I didn't make the final round.
I thought the winner could not be a 'professional brewer'?

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

-Liam- wrote:

Well, I didn't win anyway, Ha! I had zero expectations, though. I got an email saying that I didn't make the final round.
I thought the winner could not be a 'professional brewer'?
Midnight Pilot is a 7.2% abv coffee stout created by David Everitt, a homebrewer who was hired as a junior brewer at Duggan’s Brewery – a brewpub located just a few blocks away from Bellwoods in Toronto’s Parkdale neighbourhood – after he brewed and submitted his beer to the competition.

Good timing. :wink:
lister

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i'd be scared shitless of a garlic beer ruining my lines forever.

and that Duggan's press release....god...i really can't stand that dude. he's one walking irk machine.