Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Random Reviews

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

midlife crisis wrote:Did a little tasting:

1. Red Racer ISA
2. Cruiser
3. CA State of Mind

Not sure Cruiser even belongs in this category, really, at 4.9% abv. My personal cut off for a "session beer" would be 4.5 max.
I guess I have to try State of Mind.

Well...saint and circumstance and wizard wolf are 4.7/4.8% I think...so I guess your options are pretty limited. It's a tricky thing....at what point is something a "light" beer and at what point is something a "session" beer. To each their own I say....as everyone's tolerance is different.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yeah, to me "light" beer is an American marketing term for macro beer that can be misleading if applied to non-yellow fizz, whereas "session" beer has a valid historic meaning derived from British session bitters, which often tend to be less than 4%. In that context even 4.5% would be high, I believe. But to each his own, yes.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

I'm not sure whether anyone's keeping up with the Lake of Bays NHL Alumni Association series, but here's a review of the new one.

http://saintjohnswort.ca/review-lake-of ... -pale-ale/
saintjohnswort.ca

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ayinger Weizen Bock, worth the five bucks and a very good value for Ontario!

Gregorius Trappistenbier, wow this is nice, big fat palate but creamy with a lot of complexity and balance, a true original. Beyond the grape/fig flavors and sweetness you might expect from a Belgian dubbel/quad, this one has some complexity and characteristics of the best Doppelbocks I ever had, including barnyardy aromas. * EDIT * one of the ingredients is honey, that makes sense now.
^^ Will this develop well for years I wonder?
In Beerum Veritas

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Belgian wrote:Ayinger Weizen Bock, worth the five bucks and a very good value for Ontario!

Gregorius Trappistenbier, wow this is nice, big fat palate but creamy with a lot of complexity and balance, a true original. Beyond the grape/fig flavors and sweetness you might expect from a Belgian dubbel/quad, this one has some complexity and characteristics of the best Doppelbocks I ever had, including barnyardy aromas. * EDIT * one of the ingredients is honey, that makes sense now.
^^ Will this develop well for years I wonder?
I shall have to revisit the Gregorius. When I had it at the Media Tasting it was... underwhelming, although my notes don't specify exactly how. Perils of being late in the roster, I suspect.
saintjohnswort.ca

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Just had a roughly 1+ year old bottle of Bellwoods Monogamy Series, Sorachi Ace. I bought two bottles a while back and had one fresh. The fresh one was utterly undrinkable, all the worst flavours that sorachi hops can make were present…ended up being a drain pour. I just happened to discover the other bottle in the back of a cabinet last night, and tried it, and found it oddly drinkable. The sorachi ace hops had backed off enough that it had a nice peppery character, but it didn't overwhelm. Still definitely not my favorite Monogamy Series, but the aging seemed to really help….not the usual case for this style of beer.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

It turns out that the new Bush Pilot offering is quite good. It's a little more focused than some of their bigger beers but the quality level is about the same.

http://saintjohnswort.ca/review-bush-pilot-pengo-pally/
saintjohnswort.ca

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

napoleon wrote:Just had a roughly 1+ year old bottle of Bellwoods Monogamy Series, Sorachi Ace. I bought two bottles a while back and had one fresh. The fresh one was utterly undrinkable, all the worst flavours that sorachi hops can make were present…ended up being a drain pour. I just happened to discover the other bottle in the back of a cabinet last night, and tried it, and found it oddly drinkable. The sorachi ace hops had backed off enough that it had a nice peppery character, but it didn't overwhelm. Still definitely not my favorite Monogamy Series, but the aging seemed to really help….not the usual case for this style of beer.
haha. I had a monogamy (Citra? Centennial?) a year or two ago, thought it was pretty good and recommended it to a friend when I saw it on tap at The Only. I didn't know the concept of the monogamy hop experiment series at the time and this one turned out to be the Sorachi Ace version. My friend could barely get one gulp down before he returned it to the bartender who took it back no questions asked, apologized and said this happened quite often.

CA_in_VA

Post by CA_in_VA »

Bar Towellers (and Towelletes), I am looking for something malty this evening from the LCBO. A nice malt-forward local beer with some thickness and creaminess. Maybe something along the lines of Bell City's Eureka?

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

gordonpeterwiebe wrote: haha. I had a monogamy (Citra? Centennial?) a year or two ago, thought it was pretty good and recommended it to a friend when I saw it on tap at The Only. I didn't know the concept of the monogamy hop experiment series at the time and this one turned out to be the Sorachi Ace version. My friend could barely get one gulp down before he returned it to the bartender who took it back no questions asked, apologized and said this happened quite often.
I think even the brewers knew that. When I was buying it, the main brewer was in the bottle shop. He mentioned that he didn't quite get what he wanted. I should have let him talk me out of it. To be honest, as bad as it turned out initially, I think they should have just trashed this batch.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

CA_in_VA wrote:Bar Towellers (and Towelletes), I am looking for something malty this evening from the LCBO. A nice malt-forward local beer with some thickness and creaminess. Maybe something along the lines of Bell City's Eureka?
I don't know about local options, I only really buy from Bellwoods when I want local beer. They are open till 11pm and have a session IPA, APA, IPA and DIPA available right now in their bottle shop. http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/product-cat ... ottleshop/

In Ontario Belgian beer is pretty cheap:

Here is a link to LCBO's belgian stock by store location: http://www.foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcb ... erPage=100

I saw Rochefort 10 at the Summerhill/Yonge LCBO for less than $4 per bottle. There weren't too many. Westmalle Tripel has just hit shelves for $3.35 per bottle. They were bottled in February so they are super hoppy.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

On Canada Day I walked over to East York for some Muddy York. This is that post:

http://saintjohnswort.ca/visit-muddy-yo ... g-company/
saintjohnswort.ca

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

saints_gambit wrote:On Canada Day I walked over to East York for some Muddy York. This is that post:

http://saintjohnswort.ca/visit-muddy-yo ... g-company/
Woah. They are way smaller than I thought! Their fermenters are, like, 3.5 BBL? Doesn't make our little 2.5 BBL feel so small considering all the new, shiny 10 BBL spots popping up around us.

Now I really need to make the trip out there.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Finally tried that Forked River's citra wheat beer. it was good! i didn't really get any rhubarb whatsoever but i thought it was pretty interesting regardless. nice and refreshing.

jburley2

Post by jburley2 »

Agreed, very little rhubarb taste. Pretty standard wheat beer.