Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

jeremyg wrote:
talon_d wrote:I'm hoping it will last until the Monday as it will be my only chance to get over there.
don't want to be debbie downer but i don't think that'll happen
Yeah - I'm prepared to be disappointed.

I have a bottle of the Barn Owl still - maybe I can find someone who missed out on that release to make a trade.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Monogamy - Nelson Sauvin, in the bottle shop now.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ Ooh - thanks man!
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

rfrf wrote:Monogamy - Nelson Sauvin, in the bottle shop now.
I thought it was a Nelson-hopped DIPA that was just brewed? Maybe we'll get both?

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
I thought it was a Nelson-hopped DIPA that was just brewed? Maybe we'll get both?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

rfrf wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Sorry, I should have been more clear with what I was saying.

I was referring to this quote from their July lewsletter: "Finding out that we brewed a new double IPA featuring Nelson Sauvin hops, today (rather than Wednesday) is actually a good thing when you think about it -- you don't have to wait as long for it to come out!"

I would not think that Monogamy Nelson qualifies as a "double IPA", so perhaps there is another Nelson-based IPA about to be released?

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

talon_d wrote:I'm hoping it will last until the Monday as it will be my only chance to get over there.
I didn't love Warp & Weft either last time, so I doubt I'll want more than one bottle of it. Maybe I can volunteer to grab a couple bottles of it for people here…although this weekend might be a bit hectic, so no promises.

skootles

Post by skootles »

TheSevenDuffs wrote: I was referring to this quote from their July lewsletter: "Finding out that we brewed a new double IPA featuring Nelson Sauvin hops, today (rather than Wednesday) is actually a good thing when you think about it -- you don't have to wait as long for it to come out!"

I would not think that Monogamy Nelson qualifies as a "double IPA", so perhaps there is another Nelson-based IPA about to be released?
I'm guessing that's what the Great Lakes guys were brewing when they announced they were collaborating on something not too long ago.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

napoleon wrote:
I didn't love Warp & Weft either last time, so I doubt I'll want more than one bottle of it. Maybe I can volunteer to grab a couple bottles of it for people here…although this weekend might be a bit hectic, so no promises.

If you do get a chance I would love a bottle - let me know and I'll PM you my cell number so we can figure out how I can grab it from you.

If you don't get a chance, no worries!

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

And it's amazing. Even better than I remember last time.

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

napoleon wrote:
And it's amazing. Even better than I remember last time.

I had one the other day and was blown away by how good and complex it was for a single hop experiment.
Having another right now to double check... and, yup, without a doubt in my mind, this is the best IPA/pale ale they've ever made (though, I must admit, I do find their other offerings in the category a bit amateurish and underwhelming).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

gordonpeterwiebe wrote:Monogamy - Nelson Sauvin is the best IPA/pale ale they've ever made (though, I must admit, I do find their other offerings in the category a bit amateurish and underwhelming).
I feel generally the same, from my first-ever Roman Candle/Witchshark to many similar-ish brews since. I like the Monogamy series esp the Nelson Sauvin, yet somehow Bellwoods are not my brewer for most of their hop-forward offerings.

Of course I used to say that about GLB and now I find some of Great Lakes stuff fresh on draught is pretty exemplary; they seem to have come a long way. Far as BW goes, their other styles and some of their 'experiments' tend to be great and rarely disappoint.
In Beerum Veritas

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

No, the GLB collaboration is a return of Brettallica, which was done once before as part of the Bellwoods/GLB takeover at Bar Hop (last year, if I recall correctly). I assume the DIPA is something else again.
Ren
skootles wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote: I was referring to this quote from their July lewsletter: "Finding out that we brewed a new double IPA featuring Nelson Sauvin hops, today (rather than Wednesday) is actually a good thing when you think about it -- you don't have to wait as long for it to come out!"

I'm guessing that's what the Great Lakes guys were brewing when they announced they were collaborating on something not too long ago.

skootles

Post by skootles »

Looks like Bellwoods' new IIPA is "Double Nelson" and is gonna be released today (or may already be released).

http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/product/double-nelson/

I went by earlier today to pick up some Monogomy and they were labelling the bottles but wouldn't sell me any just yet. Not sure if it's released yet but the girl at the shop said it'd be released sometime today. Plus it's already on their website.

munrets

Post by munrets »

It's for sale - already picked some up. Crazy they wouldn't sell it to you when you got there...

Now back tomorrow for W&W.