Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Pittsburgh PA

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Coronaeus wrote:I don't remember ever being asked about alcohol when crossing into the US border. The few times I have set up IP trades down there I have only brought down 5 or 6 bottles at most though.
Their general question asks if you are "bringing any alcohol, fruits or vegetables" into the country question.

Just crossed this weekend, said I had a bunch of beer in the trunk...which I was bringing to a friends house in the US...they checked the trunk and didn't care that I had about 1.5 cases of mixed bottles.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

El Pinguino wrote:
Coronaeus wrote:I don't remember ever being asked about alcohol when crossing into the US border. The few times I have set up IP trades down there I have only brought down 5 or 6 bottles at most though.
Their general question asks if you are "bringing any alcohol, fruits or vegetables" into the country question.

Just crossed this weekend, said I had a bunch of beer in the trunk...which I was bringing to a friends house in the US...they checked the trunk and didn't care that I had about 1.5 cases of mixed bottles.
was it just yourself crossing?
just saying: official US government website says 3 12 oz. beer bottles per adult OK for visitor, ie. Canadian. 1 case can be stopped and confiscated as commercial transaction requiring special permit.
I was told in past from actual border officers they also look that you are staying 48 hours, although I do not see that in writing and they can change what they informally enforce.
Reliable Beer Critic

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Was in Pittsburgh for the 2nd time this year this past weekend. Didn't stop at Voodoo Brewery in Meadville because they werent open yet on Saturday. Stopped at the whole foods in Wexford to pick up some bottles and possibly get a (32oz) growler fill. If you're reading this, PA has pretty crappy laws about bringing beer into their state, and their Distros take forever to bring stuff in. Grabbed 6-pack of Troegs Hop Knife, Oatmeal Yeti and Growler of Stone "it's about thyme" for around 36 US total. 32 oz growlers were not cheap here as they floated around 10 dollar range. They had Draai Laag R2 Koelschip for $16 for 32 oz fill which was a bit much for being a local beer...

Didn't make it to Draai Laag this time as our timing wasn't going to work out in order to catch the Pirates game. The locals seem to really like it there as their bottle releases sell out in a few hours.

Craft beer at PNC is awesome, I'd say better than Comerica if I had to pick. Prices were about 9 US a can.

Went to Proper for dinner, had a 30 minute wait for a really sub par pizza. They had Lost Abbey Red barn on tap.

Stopped by Shadyside GE Market district for some more bottles to go. They don't fill 32OZ growlers here and their bottle prices were very steep. They had Great Divide 21st Anni for 21 US which seems steep. Also 3-4 month old Port Brewing Ipa's for 12+US. Lots of shelf turds that are too expensive. Picked up weyerbacher imperial pumpkin ale (4pack), North Coast Le Merle (4pack), and Clown Shoes Blaecorn Unidragon which came to 39 US.

Hit up a dive bar (don't ask) and they had super cheap craft beers which was a shocker. 2.50 for Two hearted? Wild.

Would go back, but one of my least favourite states to buy retail.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Updating an old thread. Was in Pittsburgh this weekend, small roundup...

Proper: enjoyed the pizza and solid beer selection pre-baseball game.
PNC Park: decent craft beer selection.
Dancing Gnome: made it in time for cans on Saturday, didn't have time to have a beer there. Looked like a really cool spot.
Brew Gentlemen: really cool spot a bit outside of town.
Cinderlands: another fun spot, not too far from the center of the city. Good beer and food was really good.
Church Brew: place is REALLY cool, but didn't care for any of the beer I had and food was just meh. Wouldn't hurry back there.
Liberty Beer (store): the only store I hit, had pretty solid selection of locals and regionals.

Fun city, with some really stellar breweries.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Any updates from Pittsburgh? Heading there for a short trip Sunday-Tuesday. Not an ideal time of the week for a vacation but will hit up what’s open!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Quick update - I had a really fun couple of nights in Pittsburgh a couple of weeks back. I shot a bunch of footage with the intention of doing a little video recapping some of the highlights. Stay tuned, hope y'all will watch!

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Still a city on my "to visit" list. Looking forward to your recap.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

seangm wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:23 am Still a city on my "to visit" list. Looking forward to your recap.
Here’s the little video I did in case you didn’t see it in the other thread:

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Cass wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:42 pm
seangm wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:23 am Still a city on my "to visit" list. Looking forward to your recap.
Here’s the little video I did in case you didn’t see it in the other thread:

Great recap! Lots of fantastic looking spots in Pittsburgh, that Church Brew Works really is an incredible space. It's funny, your closing comment pretty much sums up how I've felt- Pittsburgh is on the list but never quite at the top. The last few years definitely didn't help either, now there's catching up to do.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

seangm wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:50 am It's funny, your closing comment pretty much sums up how I've felt- Pittsburgh is on the list but never quite at the top. The last few years definitely didn't help either, now there's catching up to do.
Thanks! To be honest, that comment was inspired in part by what you wrote a couple of posts up, as I think it's true for many people in the GTA. Everyone knows Pittsburgh, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people have gone. Maybe other places are more compelling, but considering the distance and ease to get there, hopefully it's a spot more people check out.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Cass wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:38 pm
seangm wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:50 am It's funny, your closing comment pretty much sums up how I've felt- Pittsburgh is on the list but never quite at the top. The last few years definitely didn't help either, now there's catching up to do.
Thanks! To be honest, that comment was inspired in part by what you wrote a couple of posts up, as I think it's true for many people in the GTA. Everyone knows Pittsburgh, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people have gone. Maybe other places are more compelling, but considering the distance and ease to get there, hopefully it's a spot more people check out.
Well I'm honoured lol! Admittedly knowing me it'll still be some time before I get there, but I intend to eventually. Philly too, although it's much further away; apart from the Harrisburg area for work reasons, I've really only ever passed through Pennsylvania.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Cass wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:38 pm
I feel that way about all the cities in the rust belt, none of which I have visited other than Chicago and some stuff in New York/Michigan I went to accidentally on the way to other stuff. But like, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, St Louis and Columbus are all places I have an inkling to visit, but have never found a good reason to.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Craig wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:39 pm I feel that way about all the cities in the rust belt, none of which I have visited other than Chicago and some stuff in New York/Michigan I went to accidentally on the way to other stuff. But like, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, St Louis and Columbus are all places I have an inkling to visit, but have never found a good reason to.
Yeah, I was thinking about mentioning that - don't think the rust belt has much of an attractive reputation from a tourism perspective around here. But with the increasing costs for travel, maybe GTA folks will look at short haul drivable destinations - I certainly am. I think Cleveland would be next on my list.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Very nice video! Great camerawork and voiceover. I could have easily watched a longer cut.

Back in 2010, when I went on a road trip with some beer-loving friends, there weren't nearly as many hip spots downtown. Church Brew Works was definitely a highlight, though. If I recall, Pennsylvania had some weirdly draconian liquor laws — so I felt right at home.

Despite some great spots, I'm not a big fan of Cleveland as a tourist. Personally, I'd pass through, but stay in the Columbus area.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

shintriad wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:27 pm Very nice video! Great camerawork and voiceover. I could have easily watched a longer cut.

Back in 2010, when I went on a road trip with some beer-loving friends, there weren't nearly as many hip spots downtown. Church Brew Works was definitely a highlight, though. If I recall, Pennsylvania had some weirdly draconian liquor laws — so I felt right at home.

Despite some great spots, I'm not a big fan of Cleveland as a tourist. Personally, I'd pass through, but stay in the Columbus area.
Thanks for the kind words! I would have extended it, but to be honest I didn't have much more footage to show. I shot everything a bit covert so didn't want to draw too much attention by waving a camera around. And I was also there on a Sunday and Monday, and there was many places I would have otherwise stopped in at that were closed. I think in my next one I would get a bit more scenic footage (streetscapes, etc.), and perhaps get a brewery person to say a few words.