Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Napalm Frog wrote:I just think v5 might be my fav, seems to have the strongest grapefruit profile of them all, and the most easily distinguishable, whereas I struggled with some of the earlier ones.

The Home Brew Winner Midnight Pilot is a solid coffee release. First few sips were stunning. Mellowed off halfway through, but the shine showed up again near the end of the glass. The strength of the coffee taste mimics very well what cold brew coffees do best, by having a strong consistent flavour that doesn't turn the palette bitter by the end of the glass. From the realm of coffee stouts, this is definitely up there I would love if this was re-released as a tweaked or seasonal beer.
I'll mildly disagree and assert that V4 was the best, because, well, Nelson Sauvin ;)
Actually v5 is quite a solid version. It seems to be roughly the same as version 3 but with the yeast switched to the Vermont Ale Yeast. Definitely will second the grapefruit notes.

Also loving the coffee stout. The cold brew is quite innovative in that one gets lots of coffee flavour without much bitterness.

Not loving the Toil and Trouble which briefly appeared in the bottle shop. Undercarbonated and overly sweet. I didn't love the first version, but this one is really bad. If anyone wants a bottle, I have one in the fridge I will not be finishing.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

napoleon wrote:
Napalm Frog wrote:I just think v5 might be my fav, seems to have the strongest grapefruit profile of them all, and the most easily distinguishable, whereas I struggled with some of the earlier ones.

The Home Brew Winner Midnight Pilot is a solid coffee release. First few sips were stunning. Mellowed off halfway through, but the shine showed up again near the end of the glass. The strength of the coffee taste mimics very well what cold brew coffees do best, by having a strong consistent flavour that doesn't turn the palette bitter by the end of the glass. From the realm of coffee stouts, this is definitely up there I would love if this was re-released as a tweaked or seasonal beer.
I'll mildly disagree and assert that V4 was the best, because, well, Nelson Sauvin ;)
Actually v5 is quite a solid version. It seems to be roughly the same as version 3 but with the yeast switched to the Vermont Ale Yeast. Definitely will second the grapefruit notes.

Also loving the coffee stout. The cold brew is quite innovative in that one gets lots of coffee flavour without much bitterness.

Not loving the Toil and Trouble which briefly appeared in the bottle shop. Undercarbonated and overly sweet. I didn't love the first version, but this one is really bad. If anyone wants a bottle, I have one in the fridge I will not be finishing.
toil and trouble and phantom limb are probably my two least favorite bellwoods offerings. i'm a HUGE bellwoods fanboy but yeah i don't like them at all.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

They've tried Toil a Trouble 3-4 times now....I haven't had it since the beginning...wish they could get it right, but seems it's not a style Bellwoods can figure out.

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

Mildly upset that I didn't get a chance to try the Jutsu V5.
Bellwoods has really stepped up their IPA game with these releases. V4 being the tastiest (Nelson Sauvin is definitely their friend) followed by V2, V3 (tasty, but overly dry perhaps?) and V1 in my opinion.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

gordonpeterwiebe wrote:V4 being the tastiest (Nelson Sauvin is definitely their friend)...
* sigh * Now that EVERYONE likes Nelson Sauvin, I'm going to say Simcoe is far far better...
In Beerum Veritas

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

They've released more Omertà in the bottle shop at Bellwoods.

I'm kind of wondering if we should just start a thread for Bellwoods releases. Seems kind of silly to lump this in with everything else.

snorristurluson

Post by snorristurluson »

Any opinions on Omerta? I believe it's been made a few times?

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

snorristurluson wrote:Any opinions on Omerta? I believe it's been made a few times?
It's generally refreshing and lightly hopped. Good for a patio. It has a malt backbone reminiscent of a pilsner that occasionally I find a bit too assertive. I think I liked the previous batch a bit better, but it's hard to make subtle comparisons separated in time by so much.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

napoleon wrote:I'm kind of wondering if we should just start a thread for Bellwoods releases. Seems kind of silly to lump this in with everything else.
+1. If anyone on BT has the time / has had too much coffee to drink they could copy-and-paste the relevant posts of the past few weeks to a new thread.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

snorristurluson wrote:Any opinions on Omerta? I believe it's been made a few times?
I've had it once and didn't care for it.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Belgian wrote:
napoleon wrote:I'm kind of wondering if we should just start a thread for Bellwoods releases. Seems kind of silly to lump this in with everything else.
+1. If anyone on BT has the time / has had too much coffee to drink they could copy-and-paste the relevant posts of the past few weeks to a new thread.

And done, except the quotes part. Lets start fresh.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Ahhh....I see now where the new thread came from...can we start a GLB release thread too, since I always miss their releases?
:evil:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

El Pinguino wrote:Ahhh....I see now where the new thread came from...can we start a GLB release thread too, since I always miss their releases?
:evil:
El Pinguino wrote:That's what the "New non-LCBO/TBS beer releases" thread is for....no?
:) Go for it.

Call it "Great Lakes Brewery Releases." We already know it's a "Thread" so it would be silly to call it that. :lol:
In Beerum Veritas

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Funny man. :P

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Rainhard Brewing Co. ‏@RainhardBrewing 2h2 hours ago
Today, we release KAPOW!* IPA. A West coast style India Pale Ale. Brewery opens at 4pm. 4 bottle limit.

Stone City Ales ‏@StoneCityAles 58m58 minutes ago
Meet Gertrude, she is our love child created in collaboration with @barhopbar. (This is a 3.9% Grisette)