Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

No more Dupont

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

admviolin

No more Dupont

Post by admviolin »

According to LCBO's Twitter, Saison Dupont is discontinued.
:cry:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Maybe some brewery complained because it is better than any Saison product made in Ontario for twice the price.

Time to grab a spare case, thansk for the heads up brother.
In Beerum Veritas

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

This is terribly sad, disappointing news. Does Dupont every show up across the border at premiere gourmet etc?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

wonder why - seemed to sell really well.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Boo. It's such a great summer beer and at quite a reasonable price for a complex, interesting 750 ml. I would rather they raise the price 10 or 20% than just discontinue it. I get the feeling there's no point writing to anyone at the LCBO because they just don't care what customers think.

<rant> In general, this is one of my greatest frustrations with the LCBO. It's basically the need to be my own warehouse for beer, wine, and liquor. If they get something good in that you like, you have to buy a whole bunch and store it. You never know when they'll get it back again, and there's no alternative source in the province. So my closets and cabinets end up stocking beer and wine…not in optimal storage conditions…not at optimal freshness. Sigh. </rant>

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

spinrsx wrote:wonder why - seemed to sell really well.
I wonder if it did. Lots of LCBOs I saw had a dusty looking half case or two sitting on shelves that didn't look like it was moving at all. I wonder if they over-reached a little with it, by listing it in so many stores. It got a wider distribution than the usual craft stores, which probably hurt the overall sales numbers.

I have to admit, I was probably part of the problem. It's a wonderful beer that I was excited to have in the 'BO, but after getting six or so when it first landed, I pretty much never bought it again. I seem to only go into the LCBO these days when I'm chasing something specific and new, so I guess I was taking Dupont for granted. I do the same thing with Rochefort.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Don't they frequently "discontinue" seasonal offerings near the end of the season? I haven't seen any information that says Dupont is gone for good, but to be fair I am not looking very hard.

The LCBOWatch twitter account mentions it being discontinued, but I was under the impression that that is more-or-less a database crawler that is not directly affiliated with the LCBO. I skimmed the actual LCBO twitter account and didn't see the word 'dupont' mentioned anywhere. The vintages website says "discontinued" as well, but plenty of discontinued products get brought back at a later date.
Craig wrote:I wonder if it did. Lots of LCBOs I saw had a dusty looking half case or two sitting on shelves that didn't look like it was moving at all.
I did not get that impression at all, but to be fair no stores in Sarnia bothered to stock it in this year (although they have done so in the past, and it sold well). Looking at the existing inventory levels around the province, it suggests to me that the problem was that they didn't allocate it widely enough. E.g. There is one store in London with a bunch of bottles, while the other stores either didn't get any at all, or ran out of stock weeks ago.

The vast majority of the remaining stock is still sequestered in Toronto, rather than spread out all over the province. The LCBO seems to just really oversupply the GTA while undersupplying mid-sized cities/towns. Whether this is an individual manager issue or a logistical problem that comes from further up the chain, I have no idea.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Yeah, I can't remember if this is what happened last year (being marked discontinued but coming back). I kind of remember Roland + Russell saying it was going to be a regular listing after last summer.
I buy a bottle a week to try to maintain its sales (also because I drink it :D )

What upsets me most is that I use this beer as a benchmark for local offerings. If your Ontario saison is $3 more a bottle than Dupont, it sure as hell better blow it out of the water.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Let's hope it is an error or that it will be back.

Interestingly, the up and coming Ellesmere/Vic Park just started stocking it!
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

napoleon wrote:Boo. It's such a great summer beer and at quite a reasonable price for a complex, interesting 750 ml. I would rather they raise the price 10 or 20% than just discontinue it. I get the feeling there's no point writing to anyone at the LCBO because they just don't care what customers think.

<rant> In general, this is one of my greatest frustrations with the LCBO. It's basically the need to be my own warehouse for beer, wine, and liquor. If they get something good in that you like, you have to buy a whole bunch and store it. You never know when they'll get it back again, and there's no alternative source in the province. So my closets and cabinets end up stocking beer and wine…not in optimal storage conditions…not at optimal freshness. Sigh. </rant>

And my favourite.......You have to try a new product almost immediately because the local store only got a case in and if you wait and want you will probably have to drive to another city to get some. In the Saison Dupont case , Burlington is the closest with 11 bottles.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:
spinrsx wrote:wonder why - seemed to sell really well.
I wonder if it did. Lots of LCBOs I saw had a dusty looking half case or two sitting on shelves that didn't look like it was moving at all. I wonder if they over-reached a little with it, by listing it in so many stores. It got a wider distribution than the usual craft stores, which probably hurt the overall sales numbers.
Maybe the LCBO could pull a product from stores where it's not selling rather than just eliminate Saison Dupont everywhere.

I realize it must be baffling to them that Perth, Ontario is not buying nearly the same volume as Summerhill, but that is just a reality when you own a province's entire market.
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Bought an unopened case today... my 3rd case. I did my part, lol.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

I'm going to buy a case at lunch today.

Rather than lamenting it's loss already, everyone on BT who would rather Saison Dupont stay go out today and buy as much as you feel is reasonable, and write a note to the LCBO expressing your desire for the product to stay on the shelves.

May have no effect whatsoever, but could make for an interesting experiment..
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

I was wondering why there is so much DuPont on shelves at Summerhill...

They discontinued Duvel only to bring it in another format. Same with the Fullers cans. Maybe we are getting brown bottled Dupont in 4 packs or something.

fridadiego

Post by fridadiego »

Maybe, but I'm not taking the chance.