Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Block Three 1 Up IIPA. Really surprisingly good. I was underwhelmed last time I tried beers from these guys. This one is very good and almost reminds me of Double Fiddle. I should have bought more than a few bottles...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Coronaeus wrote: This one is very good and almost reminds me of Double Fiddle.
What is Double Fiddle?

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Oops. I meant Second Fiddle Double IPA. The aroma of 1 Up had me remembering Second Fiddle.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last little while at Milos' Craft Beer Emporium, Toboggan Brewing, and The Ceili Cottage:
Budweiser Budvar B:Dark Tmavý Ležák (draft)
Great Lakes Karma Citra IPA (draft)
Sawdust City 7 Weeks Of Staying Up All Night (sample)
Block Three Mo Money Mo Problems (draft)
Toboggan Brewing Kolsch (draft)
Central City Red Racer IPA (draft)
Toboggan Brewing Amber Ale (draft)
Wellington Kickin’ Back Dry Hopped Session Ale (cask)
Left Field Eephus Oatmeal Brown Ale (draft)
Durham Hop Addict (draft)
Side Launch Wheat (draft)

Went to Descendant Detroit Style Pizza before hitting up Ceili and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys delicious things.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

cratez wrote:Went to Descendant Detroit Style Pizza before hitting up Ceili and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys delicious things.
Yes! I've been in there like twice a week since they opened. That place is dangerous for me.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I dug into the cellar for a 2011 St. Ambroise Imperial Stout. Still has loads of bourbon barrel flavour, along with a boatload of chocolate, with lingering licourice. Really, really nice. I should really find a bunch of these and age them.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Yesterday at Bier Markt Esplanade and C'est What?:
Blue Point Toasted Lager (draft)
Stone IPA (draft)
Great Lakes Saison Dupump (draft)
Durham Triple X IPA (cask)
Craig wrote: I've been in there like twice a week since they opened. That place is dangerous for me.
Yeah, I hadn't had pizza that good since visiting Picco two years ago. The Soppressata Marmalade is the perfect combo of savoury, sweet, and spicy flavours, and I really dig the crust. I wonder if they'll become licensed at some point? We would've stayed there all night if they had booze.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last few days at WVRST and at home:
Central City Red Racer ISA (draft)
Muskoka Moonlight Kettle Series #2 - White IPA (draft)
Clifford Porter (draft)
Great Lakes Karma Citra IPA (draft)
Creemore Springs Oktoberfest Lager (bottle)

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Beau's Haters Gonna Hate - Nelson Sauvin hops shine. This redeemed the 4-pack for me, after the disappointing gose.
Schneider Mathilda Soleil Summer Weisse - Drinking very well despite the late season arrival. Worth picking up for the last days of summer.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Jai Alai IPA: good
Grapefruit Sculpin: excellent
Simple Malt Imperial Stout Plus Noire Truculante: Huge Imperial stout; pretty good.

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

Smithworks Kellerbier - This one was a bit of a revelation for me. I guess it's been at the LCBO for a while but I don't know how much it's been seen in Ottawa. Anyway, very much enjoyed it.
Tank 7 Farmhouse - When I first had this one, I enjoyed it but really wasn't too broken up about it just a one-off from the LCBO. Now that I've been drinking it for a while I think I'm going to miss it when the last bottle disappears from the shelves of Ontario.
Le Castor Yakima IPA - I go back to this one all the time. If the LCBO carried this it would probably be twice as expensive and people would still buy it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

deepeary wrote:Beau's Haters Gonna Hate - Nelson Sauvin hops shine. This redeemed the 4-pack for me, after the disappointing gose.
The Gose nowhere beer, yes I have to concur.

Far as hops, the Kissmeyer Nordic Pale was stellar on draught at The Comrade.
Good stuff, stands up next to some local 'boutique' pales and IPAs - a definite re-try. Steve and the boys could be onto something here.

The Comrade is a rather fetching space, too. Another topic.
In Beerum Veritas

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Belgian wrote:
deepeary wrote:Beau's Haters Gonna Hate - Nelson Sauvin hops shine. This redeemed the 4-pack for me, after the disappointing gose.
The Gose nowhere beer, yes I have to concur.

Far as hops, the Kissmeyer Nordic Pale was stellar on draught at The Comrade.
Good stuff, stands up next to some local 'boutique' pales and IPAs - a definite re-try. Steve and the boys could be onto something here.

The Comrade is a rather fetching space, too. Another topic.
So can one get the Nelson Sauvin with out the four-pack anywhere? On tap, perhaps? I've kind of been put off buying Beau's with their very expensive bombers that have often disappointed.

Oh, LCBO doesn't seem to be showing any stock of the Scheider Weisse Mathilda. Is it gone already? Or did someone get an advance bottle.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

napoleon wrote:Oh, LCBO doesn't seem to be showing any stock of the Scheider Weisse Mathilda. Is it gone already? Or did someone get an advance bottle.
It's in stock -- picked up a few yesterday.

http://www.foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcb ... ber=423095

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

skaghevn wrote:
napoleon wrote:Oh, LCBO doesn't seem to be showing any stock of the Scheider Weisse Mathilda. Is it gone already? Or did someone get an advance bottle.
It's in stock -- picked up a few yesterday.

http://www.foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcb ... ber=423095
Thanks that's crazy weird. It shows up on this foodanddrink website, but lcbo.com shows no results even when I put in the product number.