Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Together We're Bitter

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kish84
Bar Fly

Together We're Bitter

Post by Kish84 »

Anyone in the K-W area hear about this? Or know anyone involved? Seems interesting, and the beer lineup looks promising, especially with this line.
Either we juice up our wit recipe with seasonal fruits, judiciously incorporate strange fruits into appropriate styles, or brew and age sour lambics like kriek, framboise, and druivenlambik.
I came across this after the Investor Meet and Greet, but can't find any more info.

On a side note, with the news of Bill taking over the Boathouse being official, it looks like there will be another craft beer destination for us here.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

J343MY

Post by J343MY »

Kish84 wrote:Anyone in the K-W area hear about this? Or know anyone involved? Seems interesting, and the beer lineup looks promising, especially with this line.
Either we juice up our wit recipe with seasonal fruits, judiciously incorporate strange fruits into appropriate styles, or brew and age sour lambics like kriek, framboise, and druivenlambik.
I came across this after the Investor Meet and Greet, but can't find any more info.

On a side note, with the news of Bill taking over the Boathouse being official, it looks like there will be another craft beer destination for us here.
Very exciting. Its always a good thing to have more craft beer options in KW.

But I do think they need to work on their beer menu approach a bit though. It seems like they are trying to have something that will appeal everyone, as opposed to having a bit more of a focused concept. As a brewpub I don't think you need to have a wit, a porter, a pilsner, a pale, a brown, a mild and another version of a mild. Maybe shorten up the list a little and ditch a couple of the more boring beers.

Anyway, good luck to them and I'll definitely be stopping by once they get going.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Looks like these guys finally have a location.

Last I heard, things have changed a bit. They will no longer be a brewpub, just a brewery.

I'm hoping for the best, but with how long it took them to do anything, the change in plans, and the amount of hands in the cookie jar, I can't help but feel a bit pessimistic.

With the exception of Block 3, I haven't been too impressed with much that has come out this way. Of course that will all change when Barncat opens.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Kish84 wrote:With the exception of Block 3, I haven't been too impressed with much that has come out this way. Of course that will all change when Barncat opens.
I just don't see how you cannot like some of Innocente's beers. His new DIPA is just as good as GLB/NB/SC, imo.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Kish84 wrote:With the exception of Block 3, I haven't been too impressed with much that has come out this way. Of course that will all change when Barncat opens.
I just don't see how you cannot like some of Innocente's beers. His new DIPA is just as good as GLB/NB/SC, imo.
Honestly, I hated the ones he came out with when he opened that I've stayed away from anything hoppy from him. I do like his pilsner, and if I see the new DIPA I'll give it a try. Some of this is also based on my personal feelings towards Steve's "if you don't like my beer you can fuck off because you know nothing about beer" attitude.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Kish84 wrote: I do like his pilsner, and if I see the new DIPA I'll give it a try. Some of this is also based on my personal feelings towards Steve's "if you don't like my beer you can fuck off because you know nothing about beer" attitude.
i've heard similar things about him, as well as a playboy-esque approach to brewing. buy all the galaxy hops just 'cuz.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Kish84 wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Honestly, I hated the ones he came out with when he opened that I've stayed away from anything hoppy from him. I do like his pilsner, and if I see the new DIPA I'll give it a try. Some of this is also based on my personal feelings towards Steve's "if you don't like my beer you can fuck off because you know nothing about beer" attitude.
All his beers have changed, some drastically. I really like the IPA, although it's still a bit bitter (which I like... And is no where as bitter as it was). I like his pilsener as well, and the Charcoal porter is rather good. This batch of DIPA is fantastic.

As to Steve himself, he's definitely smoothed out a bit. Not too sure if that's because he knows he rubbed people the wrong way or if he's been humbled slightly. Personally I really like Steve. It's refreshing to hear someone speak honestly in this industry. I don't agree with everything his says but he's the one guy I know that I can say "you're full of shit Steve" and he won't be upset. Dishes it out and takes it. I'll take that over fake smiles and talking behind backs any day.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:All his beers have changed, some drastically. I really like the IPA, although it's still a bit bitter (which I like... And is no where as bitter as it was). I like his pilsener as well, and the Charcoal porter is rather good. This batch of DIPA is fantastic.

As to Steve himself, he's definitely smoothed out a bit. Not too sure if that's because he knows he rubbed people the wrong way or if he's been humbled slightly. Personally I really like Steve. It's refreshing to hear someone speak honestly in this industry. I don't agree with everything his says but he's the one guy I know that I can say "you're full of shit Steve" and he won't be upset. Dishes it out and takes it. I'll take that over fake smiles and talking behind backs any day.
That's good to hear, I'll need to give his beers another shot.

On a side note, I'm stretching the term "local" a bit, but I've liked everything I've had from Black Swan in Stratford. The Porter and IPA are very good, and I get Wild Child whenever I see it available.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Just to jump in here, I was at Abe Erb last weekend and really liked the Harvest APA "from the brite tank". It was super fresh tasting and bursting with juicy C-hops. (I also have liked most of the beers I've had from Block 3. They do some good stuff).

kfbass

Post by kfbass »

Reviving old threads I know, but there is some talk of my region and im late to the party.

I too really like black swan. Their beers are all good-great. The berliner and IPA in particular are pretty darn fantastic. Plus Bruce the owner is a cool guy. Very homebrew esque approach to it all, and it kind of reminds me of the type of brewery you might see in every little small town in the states. I dig that spot.

Block Three as well has consistently put out more and more decent beers. Some of their farmhouse stuff and barrel aged stuff has been quite nice.

Is TWB even open yet? Last I heard they get a space down on Mill st, but I'm not entirely certain they have opened. Has certainly been a long time coming anyways. I'd love to try their stuff.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

kfbass wrote:Is TWB even open yet? Last I heard they get a space down on Mill st, but I'm not entirely certain they have opened. Has certainly been a long time coming anyways. I'd love to try their stuff.
Not open, still putting the place together. It's tiny, 1500 sqft. and a 2 year sub-lease. Depending on how things go, they want to expand to the downtown area, or move there. Pretty much, they needed revenue and found a spot they could brew and sell beer in. Much different than their original plans. I also see that more people are joining on as co-owners...

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

TWB is finally opening February 10th.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

great opening night for TWB

very good addition to the local scene!

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Reviving this thread for a bit...

A bit of news about TWB: I'll be joining them as their brewer starting tomorrow (July 4). I have left Grand River Brewing as their Head Brewer and am excited to be joining the team at TWB to make beer for, and with, them. Hoping to see them through some growth, distribution/packaging, improvements in the brew house, and maybe some new beers.

They are a great bunch of people who each bring a lot to the brewery and I'm so excited to be a part of that. A young brewery looking to make some changes and grow and become more a part of the craft beer scene in KW and Ontario is a very exciting thing for me.

Some of you may know me from GRB but if you don't please feel free to drop by TWB and say hello. I look forward to seeing you there!

distr0

Post by distr0 »

I stopped by TWB yesterday, really cool atmosphere and awesome people. Tried some samples and took home a few half-growlers. I don't like to 'rate' based of just a small sample, but everything tasted pretty solid, and the coconut stout was VERY good. The whole place was open to roam around and they even had live music playing in the back - very cool.