Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Zwanze Day 2015

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Is it possible that this awful beer, which I didn't try, was just exhibiting the symptoms of immature Brett? I've noticed that a few times at funk night in the past, but you could conceivably give one of those beers a wider release down the road and it would be fine.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Craig wrote:Is it possible that this awful beer, which I didn't try, was just exhibiting the symptoms of immature Brett? I've noticed that a few times at funk night in the past, but you could conceivably give one of those beers a wider release down the road and it would be fine.
What is immature Brett?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Fruity in a bad way. Phenolic. Hard to describe, for me.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

immature brett to me means this: http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Tetrahydropyridine

The cheerios flavour that you get in young brett beers. I apologize in advance for the biology stuff in that wiki, very good content and sources though.
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Was there and for the most part had a good time - ran into a few folks from BT. Also really enjoyed the Ducato bottles (esp. the Krampus).

Was hoping they would kick out that idiot in the red shirt who jumped the line.
Last edited by Dennis on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

talon_d wrote:Was there and for the most part had a good time - ran into a few folks from BT. Also really enjoyed the Ducato bottles (esp. the Krampus).

Was hoping they would kick out that idiot in the red shirt who jumped the link.
He cut in 2-3 people behind us. I know exactly what he looks like - fucked up front teeth (brush your teeth, pal) and a weird crooked smile. And he was with a buddy that had a black Philadelphia Eagles hat. Wont forget that face anytime soon.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

liamt07 wrote:
talon_d wrote:Was there and for the most part had a good time - ran into a few folks from BT. Also really enjoyed the Ducato bottles (esp. the Krampus).

Was hoping they would kick out that idiot in the red shirt who jumped the link.
He cut in 2-3 people behind us. I know exactly what he looks like - fucked up front teeth (brush your teeth, pal) and a weird crooked smile. And he was with a buddy that had a black Philadelphia Eagles hat. Wont forget that face anytime soon.
Did the staff react at all? I was about 20-30 people back and thought I heard some yelling but couldn't tell if there was much of a reaction?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

One of them also had a pink elephant Delirium tattoo on his forearm

frozentee

Post by frozentee »

Strange, I had Sweet Nothing at the Brewhouse yesterday and thought it was good. Never had it at Volo, but it must have just been a bad keg.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

frozentee wrote:Strange, I had Sweet Nothing at the Brewhouse yesterday and thought it was good. Never had it at Volo, but it must have just been a bad keg.
can you give us your opinion re: stuffed baked potatoes? indifferent, a fan or love them more than life itself?

frozentee

Post by frozentee »

atomeyes wrote:
frozentee wrote:Strange, I had Sweet Nothing at the Brewhouse yesterday and thought it was good. Never had it at Volo, but it must have just been a bad keg.
can you give us your opinion re: stuffed baked potatoes? indifferent, a fan or love them more than life itself?
It didn't taste anything like that....was refreshing, with a clear peach aroma which carried through the taste, with a dry, tart finish.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Good event with the Volo staff admirably handling those first crazy few hours very well. I can'tsay I tried many of the Ontario offerings, sticking to a few (holy pricey!) Cantillon pours, JK bottles, the HF/GR taps and thr Quebec offerings. Didn't try the offending beer, but heard about how bad it was. Stayed until about 8. Lines were almost non-existant between 6:30 and 8:00.

Line jumpers were indeed particularly bad this year. No one I recognized, but probably par for the course with more and more people discovering craft beer. You take the good with the bad.

Oddly enough, aside from the Cantillon, my favorite beer of the night might have been the House Ales Impy Stout with Brett. Brett was pretty subdued, but the stout was just a great stout.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

The lineups moved as quick as they could given Volo's available spacing and the amount of people that were there. My issues were more with pricing and selection (and I recognize some of that was beyond Volo's control). Outside of the Bellwoods, Ontario has a long ways to go in the sours department.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

sprague11 wrote:The lineups moved as quick as they could given Volo's available spacing and the amount of people that were there. My issues were more with pricing and selection (and I recognize some of that was beyond Volo's control). Outside of the Bellwoods, Ontario has a long ways to go in the sours department.
it's weird. Amsterdam was leading the charge 2 years ago. they were doing some really nice sour stuff. i feel like that program's kind of faded into the background.
besides Amsterdam and Bellwoods, i can't think of another Ontario brewery doing exceptional sours. Forked River?

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

atomeyes wrote: it's weird. Amsterdam was leading the charge 2 years ago. they were doing some really nice sour stuff. i feel like that program's kind of faded into the background.
besides Amsterdam and Bellwoods, i can't think of another Ontario brewery doing exceptional sours. Forked River?
You're completely right! Amsterdam really surprised me with some excellent sours and barrel-aged beers two years ago. I don't really know what's become of that program. Haven't had any sours from Forked River yet. I think Great Lakes has had a few good sours in the past, but I'm struggling to name any right now.