Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

AugustusRex wrote:
spinrsx wrote:
also new
Side Launch Dark Lager
LCBO#: 437228 | 473 mL can

I like the Hofbrau Dunkel a lot more than Side Launch. Side Launch doesn't impress me anymore.
I wonder if they changed their base recipe. Even their normal Hefeweizen doesn't taste nearly as good as the previous iteration used to.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

napoleon wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:
spinrsx wrote:
also new
Side Launch Dark Lager
LCBO#: 437228 | 473 mL can

I like the Hofbrau Dunkel a lot more than Side Launch. Side Launch doesn't impress me anymore.
I wonder if they changed their base recipe. Even their normal Hefeweizen doesn't taste nearly as good as the previous iteration used to.
Maybe the Denison's craze was a symptom of having only shitty breweries in those days. I guess Side Launch is still better than Mill St or Creemore. I just had Creemore's flagship on draft (only choice at the Keg) and it was complete shit, I usually buy their Alt but now I'm hesitant.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

AugustusRex wrote:
napoleon wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:I like the Hofbrau Dunkel a lot more than Side Launch. Side Launch doesn't impress me anymore.
Maybe the Denison's craze was a symptom of having only shitty breweries in those days. I guess Side Launch is still better than Mill St or Creemore.
I really liked the Side Launch Dark a few weeks back, at T&M. I would buy that again.

Whether SL/Denison's still as good, could be a bit of this and that, really - the beer scene has definitely expanded. This changes the perception of recipes that haven't much changed.

But the past number of years I've had both amazingly great Denisons / Side Launch Wheat & less-amazing of the same, all fresh on tap usually at the same place. At times complex, at other times a bit dull sweet flavor profile, and occasionally sharply lemony. One pint this year even had a bit of a corn/peas thing. Some variability has always seemed to be the case. Still, when it's spot on it is the perfect Bavarian Weissbier (featuring tantalizing zingy hints of lemon, banana, spice and bubblegum) and I want to drink the whole keg. I keep coming back even if it's a bit random!
In Beerum Veritas

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Belgian wrote: I really liked the Side Launch Dark a few weeks back, at T&M. I would buy that again.

Whether SL/Denison's still as good, could be a bit of this and that, really - the beer scene has definitely expanded. This changes the perception of recipes that haven't much changed.

But the past number of years I've had both amazingly great Denisons / Side Launch Wheat & less-amazing of the same, all fresh on tap usually at the same place. At times complex, at other times a bit dull sweet flavor profile, and occasionally sharply lemony. One pint this year even had a bit of a corn/peas thing. Some variability has always seemed to be the case. Still, when it's spot on it is the perfect Bavarian Weissbier (featuring tantalizing zingy hints of lemon, banana, spice and bubblegum) and I want to drink the whole keg. I keep coming back even if it's a bit random!
Agree. I distinctly recall the first sip of a holy shit pint at C'est What? several years ago and contemplated forfeiting my Leafs ticket for the evening so I could stay and have my fill. My assessment is that it's been more consistent at SL, but far less frequently outstanding than at Denison's.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

dale cannon wrote: Agree. I distinctly recall the first sip of a holy shit pint at C'est What? several years ago and contemplated forfeiting my Leafs ticket for the evening so I could stay and have my fill. My assessment is that it's been more consistent at SL, but far less frequently outstanding than at Denison's.
Yeah, I guess I'm in a similar boat. There were a few times I had it in the Denison's iteration when I thought, "Wow, this is exactly what a Hefeweizen should taste like." Beautiful unfiltered wheat character, pleasant esters with hints of banana and clove. Really just a fantastic fresh beer. I've found it a bit more boring with much more malt character than a typical hefe lately.

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

BakaGaijin wrote:
admviolin wrote:
nickw wrote:Nickel Brook's Wet Hop just hit the shelves at Dundas-Dovercourt. Not showing stock yet. $7.95 for 750 ml
I love this beer. :o
I really enjoyed last years release. Thought it was fantastic.

Just opened a bottle... not at all to my liking (and, I quite liked last years). It almost has a sweet artificial grape candy taste to it or something - a little bizarre. It's giving me a childhood sense memory of grape "fun dip lik'm'aid" or "bottlecaps"?!
Nickelbrook has always been my favourite brewery but recently they have really been off. Headstock has been all over the place for the past six months after being delicious and consistent for the previous year. I think it's the switch to, and growing pains with, the newer, bigger brewery. I don't know what I'll do if they can't get it together by the time they brew up a new batch of Immodest.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

gordonpeterwiebe wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:
I really enjoyed last years release. Thought it was fantastic.

Just opened a bottle... not at all to my liking (and, I quite liked last years). It almost has a sweet artificial grape candy taste to it or something - a little bizarre. It's giving me a childhood sense memory of grape "fun dip lik'm'aid" or "bottlecaps"?!
Nickelbrook has always been my favourite brewery but recently they have really been off. Headstock has been all over the place for the past six months after being delicious and consistent for the previous year. I think it's the switch to, and growing pains with, the newer, bigger brewery. I don't know what I'll do if they can't get it together by the time they brew up a new batch of Immodest.
Agreed. I liked last years much better. Different hops were used this year, so it should taste very different, however, I prefer last years edition.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

gordonpeterwiebe wrote: Nickelbrook has always been my favourite brewery but recently they have really been off. Headstock has been all over the place for the past six months after being delicious and consistent for the previous year. I think it's the switch to, and growing pains with, the newer, bigger brewery. I don't know what I'll do if they can't get it together by the time they brew up a new batch of Immodest.
Oh good, I'm really glad to know it's not just me that's noticed the wild variations in Headstock.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Also agree, I really didnt like the wet hop this year, tasted like a really sugary gum and the earthy wet hop taste was super green, felt like I was chewing on hops.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

admviolin wrote:
DeMarco wrote:
spinrsx wrote:this is showing stock now, anyone try it?

TBW 6 BOROUGHS RYE PORTER
LCBO 438093 | 500 mL bottle
Price: $ 7.95
It's actually quite good. I wouldn't age this more than this year to be honest, everything is pretty smooth. Four roses really comes through when it gets warmer.

Had this last night. I need a case. It is so good...the bourbon shines through beautifully and it has a really rich mouthfeel.

I finally scared up a bottle and I agree. The bourbon is there in spades. Wonderful deep red shiraz aroma and taste penetrate assertively too.Also, a prune lover's delight. To me this is an instant hit; too bad it's so limited. Ontario breweries should take some notes on this one. More stuff like this please.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

admviolin wrote:
DeMarco wrote:
spinrsx wrote:this is showing stock now, anyone try it?

TBW 6 BOROUGHS RYE PORTER
LCBO 438093 | 500 mL bottle
Price: $ 7.95
It's actually quite good. I wouldn't age this more than this year to be honest, everything is pretty smooth. Four roses really comes through when it gets warmer.
I will pile on...

Had this last night and thought it was great. I'm glad i bought a bunch

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

napoleon wrote:
gordonpeterwiebe wrote: Nickelbrook has always been my favourite brewery but recently they have really been off. Headstock has been all over the place for the past six months after being delicious and consistent for the previous year. I think it's the switch to, and growing pains with, the newer, bigger brewery. I don't know what I'll do if they can't get it together by the time they brew up a new batch of Immodest.
Oh good, I'm really glad to know it's not just me that's noticed the wild variations in Headstock.
I had a very average can on Sunday. First average one in a long time. Maybe old. Can't tell anymore though......

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

rfrf wrote:
napoleon wrote:
I had a very average can on Sunday. First average one in a long time. Maybe old. Can't tell anymore though......
I also noticed that they no longer label their cans with dates. I was in Laird LCBO last week and searched all over a few cans before giving up and buying a different beer.
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

-Liam-

Post by -Liam- »

ercousin wrote:
I also noticed that they no longer label their cans with dates. I was in Laird LCBO last week and searched all over a few cans before giving up and buying a different beer.
They still print the dates on them...in black ink on a dark grey can. It's there, but next to impossible to read!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

lone pine ipa beats headstock in my opinion.. and as a bonus - the dates are easier to find