Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Nice Whitewater is getting Class V in the LCBO.

Good to see a local brewery making it.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Can anyone do an in-depth tasting of the Six Boroughs Bourbon Barrel-Aged Rye Porter? Initially when I heard about this beer I thought it was going to be just another Ontario barrel aged/over priced fizzle; but it's anything but. This beer is big, yet alcohol is well in check, even for this style. The bourbon is there in spades. Wonderful deep red shiraz aroma and taste penetrate assertively too. Even hints of sour creep in. Also, a prune lover's delight. To me this is an instant, multi-layered Porter/Stout hit; too bad it's so limited. Ontario breweries should take some notes on this one. More stuff like this please. Would love it if one of you more sophisticated palates chimed in on this hidden gem.

DaveBar

Post by DaveBar »

Lukie wrote:Can anyone do an in-depth tasting of the Six Boroughs Bourbon Barrel-Aged Rye Porter? Initially when I heard about this beer I thought it was going to be just another Ontario barrel aged/over priced fizzle; but it's anything but. This beer is big, yet alcohol is well in check, even for this style. The bourbon is there in spades. Wonderful deep red shiraz aroma and taste penetrate assertively too. Even hints of sour creep in. Also, a prune lover's delight. To me this is an instant, multi-layered Porter/Stout hit; too bad it's so limited. Ontario breweries should take some notes on this one. More stuff like this please. Would love it if one of you more sophisticated palates chimed in on this hidden gem.
Had it and bought a few for the cellar. Not that bourbonie as you think. Fresh Dragon's Milk had way more bourbon. This one is pretty mellow on that scale. If you go to Great Lake Brewery they have a BB porter that is far more pronounced. Check me at beer advocate- same user name and I reviewed both within the last few weeks. Plus there are food pairings that work well too! Enjoy. By the way you will see the prices and they are pretty similar in cost per ml.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Lukie wrote:Can anyone do an in-depth tasting of the Six Boroughs Bourbon Barrel-Aged Rye Porter? Initially when I heard about this beer I thought it was going to be just another Ontario barrel aged/over priced fizzle; but it's anything but. This beer is big, yet alcohol is well in check, even for this style. The bourbon is there in spades. Wonderful deep red shiraz aroma and taste penetrate assertively too. Even hints of sour creep in. Also, a prune lover's delight. To me this is an instant, multi-layered Porter/Stout hit; too bad it's so limited. Ontario breweries should take some notes on this one. More stuff like this please. Would love it if one of you more sophisticated palates chimed in on this hidden gem.
I think you've described it quite nicely, actually. This is first class stuff from Amsterdam, agreed.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

RED RACER GINGERHEAD GINGERBREAD STOUT
Canada | Central City Brewing Company
LCBO 426726 | 650 mL | $ 5.95

Macleans Armchair Scotch Ale
LCBO#: 439547 | 500 mL bottle
$4.50

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS:

Hickson IPA
Breuvages Octane
Alcohol Content (ABV):6.2%
Bottle 500ml $3.70

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

cfrancis wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote:
spinrsx wrote:new:

COAST TO COASTLESS
LCBO 435347 | 750 mL bottle
SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES
Price $ 9.95
I can't wait to pick up a bottle of that commemorative, Canada Day beer. In September.
I just had the Phillips version a couple nights ago. Pretty solid ESB. Although this is "Imperial" might be a little sweet for some but worked for me.
Just opened this (Flying Monkeys / LCBO version). It is terrific. Fullers ESB on steroids. Everything Fullers VIntage Ale could be, but often is not.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Had this last night. I was expecting more bourbon. It's a good beer but not enough barrel presence for me.
DaveBar wrote:
Had it and bought a few for the cellar. Not that bourbonie as you think. Fresh Dragon's Milk had way more bourbon. This one is pretty mellow on that scale. If you go to Great Lake Brewery they have a BB porter that is far more pronounced. Check me at beer advocate- same user name and I reviewed both within the last few weeks. Plus there are food pairings that work well too! Enjoy. By the way you will see the prices and they are pretty similar in cost per ml.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

Golden Beach Pale Ale
LCBO#: 436980 | 473 mL can
$3.25

Great Lakes Audrey Hopburn
LCBO#: 356055 | 650 mL bottle
$5.95

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

oh nice golden beach is really tasty

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS

Muskoka Winterweiss
Can 473 ml Price: $3.00

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS:

Wild North Pumpkin Ale
Can 473 ml Price: $2.95

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

Cameron's latest Brewmaster series is now out in the LCBO. It includes their:
-Cream Ale
-Rye Pale Ale
-Resurrection
-Dry Hopped Tripple (new)

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

NAC was saying on fb that the smutty nose finest kind IPA was supposed to be at TBS in time for thanksgiving weekend..

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

spinrsx wrote:NAC was saying on fb that the smutty nose finest kind IPA was supposed to be at TBS in time for thanksgiving weekend..
Canadian, or American, Thanksgiving?