Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I attended a couple of GI Migration events in DC a few weeks ago, one of them was pretty much just me and the huge GI crew, so I got lots of chatting in. Their national sales guy, who was at the Canada migration events last year told me they are planning another round this coming spring, like last year, so they weren't a one-off. Didn't ask if they plan on doing fall versions like they do in the US.

One of the brewers was there, and we did talk about the IPA being made in Mtl. Didn't ask about the Honkers.

Like a few others on here, I see no reason to think the Migration things have anything to do with BCBS long term. They could sell out BCBS at LCBO without bothering with any kind of events.

I have no real opinion on whether we'll get BCBS or not some day, but I 100% think these events are about moving Sophie/Mathilda/IPA/Honkers, and whatever other beer we eventually get from them (not BCBS).

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Goose Island flew me down to Chicago to look at what they're doing.

Their Barrel aging warehouse is 133,000 Square feet. That's just over three acres. It's ridiculous.

I think they're trying to do away with the entire concept of scarcity by throwing money at it. If you can get a Bourbon County Stout that is as good as it has ever been without much scarcity, why are any other heavyweight imperial stouts worth seeking out? Context, maybe. Plus, I'm sure we'll get the regular detractors saying that the quality has decreased. And maybe it will slightly decrease. That said.... That's a lot of Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. I'd be shocked if it wasn't here by this time next year at least as a one off.
saintjohnswort.ca

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

From what I understand for Black Friday this year last year's BCBS Vanilla Rye will be available for sale at Summerhill only. My understanding is that it will be about 20 cases at 1 bottle per person. Since this information is new to me and not 100% confirmed, I ask that you please don't email/call the lcbo info line for more details saying you heard this is happening. I will post more details as soon as I hear anything.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

PeenSteen wrote:From what I understand for Black Friday this year last year's BCBS Vanilla Rye will be available for sale at Summerhill only. My understanding is that it will be about 20 cases at 1 bottle per person. Since this information is new to me and not 100% confirmed, I ask that you please don't email/call the lcbo info line for more details saying you heard this is happening. I will post more details as soon as I hear anything.
Oh boy... that has the potential to be a shit show, but exciting news all the same. Hopefully it gets confirmed.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Can I request a store transfer to Ottawa? :wink:

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

saints_gambit wrote:Goose Island flew me down to Chicago to look at what they're doing.

Their Barrel aging warehouse is 133,000 Square feet. That's just over three acres. It's ridiculous.

I think they're trying to do away with the entire concept of scarcity by throwing money at it. If you can get a Bourbon County Stout that is as good as it has ever been without much scarcity, why are any other heavyweight imperial stouts worth seeking out? Context, maybe. Plus, I'm sure we'll get the regular detractors saying that the quality has decreased. And maybe it will slightly decrease. That said.... That's a lot of Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout. I'd be shocked if it wasn't here by this time next year at least as a one off.
Wow...that is mighty impressive. I'm sure GI must have some big contracts worked out with some distillers, however, anytime your require used bourbon barrels to make your product, procurement can be tricky.

Most decent bourbon ages for 6 - 8 years......its take a long time before a barrel comes available on the market. There is also demand which has driven up prices. Not just from breweries looking to age beer, many whisky producers use bourbon barrels for aging. I've heard that the price increases is why DDC no longer ages Peche Mortel in bourbon barrels.

There are also rumours of barrel shortages coming for distillers.....the price of new barrels has risen substantially.

I'm not sure that a brewery would be able to just keep increases supply of something like BCBS to meet demand. It just might not be possible.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BakaGaijin wrote:There are also rumours of barrel shortages coming for distillers.....the price of new barrels has risen substantially.

I'm not sure that a brewery would be able to just keep increases supply of something like BCBS to meet demand. It just might not be possible.
There are just a few preferred species of oak that are favorable to barrel ageing wines spirits and beers, whether or not that is a limitation in the USA. Cooperage is also a tricky art, and they are now getting better at using less-refined American oak in a way that makes it come across as less brash, yet this precision work probably adds cost to barrels.

Wow, note that it takes 80 to 120 years to grow an oak tree suitable for two 59-gallon barrels. Talk about 'slow food.'
In Beerum Veritas

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Belgian wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:There are also rumours of barrel shortages coming for distillers.....the price of new barrels has risen substantially.

There are just a few preferred species of oak that are favorable to barrel ageing wines spirits and beers, whether or not that is a limitation in the USA. Cooperage is also a tricky art, and they are now getting better at using less-refined American oak in a way that makes it come across as less brash, yet this precision work probably adds cost to barrels.

Wow, note that it takes 80 to 120 years to grow an oak tree suitable for two 59-gallon barrels. Talk about 'slow food.'
Belgian wrote:

American oak is the only wood allowed in Bourbon barrels.

Just re-read this article from earlier in the year:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/bourbon-mak ... 1431371621

Very interesting article. Noteworthy is that between 2012 and 2013 an additional 200 000 barrels were filled by Bourbon distillers. That will be a lot of additionally barrels coming out on the market in a few years for brewers to age beer in.

portwood

Post by portwood »

Belgian wrote:

The good news for the eco-minded is that after the Americans use the barrels to age whiskey for 4-12 years, the thrifty Canadians and Scots re-use them for upwards of 100 years!
@markhamwhisky

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

portwood wrote: The good news for the eco-minded is that after the Americans use the barrels to age whiskey for 4-12 years, the thrifty Canadians and Scots re-use them for upwards of 100 years!
Oh snap! The infamous Portwood found Bartowel. :)

Welcome aboard. Play nice..lol.

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

BakaGaijin wrote:
portwood wrote: The good news for the eco-minded is that after the Americans use the barrels to age whiskey for 4-12 years, the thrifty Canadians and Scots re-use them for upwards of 100 years!

If WWW is any indication...He's here for a good time...not a long time. Welcome!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BakaGaijin wrote:American oak is the only wood allowed in Bourbon barrels.
Makes sense given the American bourbon flavor profile, heavy caramel and vanilla. I think a 'new oak' flavor.

(Article has paywall but thanks!)
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Beer'n'gin wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:

If WWW is any indication...He's here for a good time...not a long time. Welcome!
ocd & short attention span
@markhamwhisky

portwood

Post by portwood »

portwood wrote:ocd & short attention span
AND ... looking at the current trend in whisky prices, I gave up on WWW forum at the right time
long-timers here may disagree but beer is offering much better value than whisky at the moment (and no, cheap rot-gut Canadian Whisky doesn't count).

when Glenfarclas, one of my faves and all time great QPR distilleries, comes back with 27% price increase on the "105" and 23% on the 25 year old since last Fall, you know things are squirly in the Scotch world!!!!
@markhamwhisky

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

portwood wrote:
portwood wrote:ocd & short attention span
AND ... looking at the current trend in whisky prices, I gave up on WWW forum at the right time
long-timers here may disagree but beer is offering much better value than whisky at the moment (and no, cheap rot-gut Canadian Whisky doesn't count).

when Glenfarclas, one of my faves and all time great QPR distilleries, comes back with 27% price increase on the "105" and 23% on the 25 year old since last Fall, you know things are squirly in the Scotch world!!!!
Interesting. Didn't know that. What would your three "best value" whiskies be at the moment, under $75-80 say?