Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Blood Brothers Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
grub wrote:maybe they should have gone with eskimo brothers. not sure what the logo would be, but i'm betting it'd be more interesting!
lol, now there's an idea that I can get behind.
Ok let's not be offensive here.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

There's some good ones on Google.

"There's always money in the banana stand."

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

I think I tried their saison a the Indie home brew event, and it was perfectly respectable. A chocolate gose sounds like it has some real potential for disaster, but I'd give it a shot, provided it's free to taste. Curious to try the IPA's.
Edit: found their hours. Wed-Fri. 4-8, Sat. 12-6, Sun. 12-4

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Eskimo Brothers upcoming release:

Two Poles Dunkel One Hole

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

napoleon wrote:A chocolate gose sounds like it has some real potential for disaster, but I'd give it a shot, provided it's free to taste. Curious to try the IPA's.
I had their chocolate gose twice during Toronto Beer Week. The first was a sample size at C'est What. The second was a 14oz (?) glass at Wvrst. I liked the beer but didn't find it amazing. The chocolate was a light touch and wasn't strong in aroma or flavour. I'm guessing by disaster you mean if it was like Young's Double Chocolate stout or Southern Tier's Choklat.

I'm planning to brew a bunch of gimmicky goses soon. They've been rattling around my brain since the beginning of summer. I've been curious when the local brewers were going to get around to experimenting with them so I was happy to try BBB's.

If there ever is an Eskimo Brother's brewery, I do hope one of the owners or brewers nickname is Taco. :lol:
lister

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Pit stop here after work today to grab all 4. Shumei IPA (which I got the last bottle of) was very yummy. Out of the fridge, nothing exciting, but once sitting in the glass for a bit the floral and citrus notes came right out and was very tasty. Inner IPA was average at best: the subtle taste was amazing, but almost seemed watered down and ruined its potential. Where I'm at a loss is the other two. I tried Cocoa Woman (first), and tasted no cocoa at all. Very peachy, and barely gose at all. Opened up Hail Saison (fourth) it was identical in taste to my first beer. I'm gonna attribute this to a labelling fluke. I also double checked on Untappd, and my Cocoa Woman was nowhere near as dark as the pics I saw, and was very similar to Hail Saison. I'd love to try the cocoa gose, but I'm worried if I swing by tomorrow that I'll get a similar labelling mistake. Maybe I should try this at one of the few venues that have this on tap?

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Napalm Frog wrote:Pit stop here after work today to grab all 4. Shumei IPA (which I got the last bottle of) was very yummy. Out of the fridge, nothing exciting, but once sitting in the glass for a bit the floral and citrus notes came right out and was very tasty. Inner IPA was average at best: the subtle taste was amazing, but almost seemed watered down and ruined its potential. Where I'm at a loss is the other two. I tried Cocoa Woman (first), and tasted no cocoa at all. Very peachy, and barely gose at all. Opened up Hail Saison (fourth) it was identical in taste to my first beer. I'm gonna attribute this to a labelling fluke. I also double checked on Untappd, and my Cocoa Woman was nowhere near as dark as the pics I saw, and was very similar to Hail Saison. I'd love to try the cocoa gose, but I'm worried if I swing by tomorrow that I'll get a similar labelling mistake. Maybe I should try this at one of the few venues that have this on tap?

I would say send them a message and let them know what happened. It would suck for a lot of people to buy what they think is a dark gose only to get a saison...

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Agreed. The brewer I spoke with was very congenial. I'm sure they would want to know that this happened.

My bottle of the gose is much darker than the saison, at least as viewed through the bottle glass.

I'm hoping the generic labels and the paper tags are temporary until they get their feet under them. I hate the paper tag with elastic. The stickers Bellwoods uses with their generic labels are a much better solution in my opinion.

BeboThoughts

Post by BeboThoughts »

Count me as one that likes the logo.

A chocolate Gose right off the bat? Cool to see new breweries going for more creative beers than a red, a pale, and a brown - but a chocolate Gose? Call me skeptical. Looking forward to checking them out though.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Oh good. Another new brewery. *weeps*
saintjohnswort.ca

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

I still haven't visited this place yet, but here is a BlogTO feature on the brewery if anyone wants some addition info.

http://www.blogto.com/grocery/blood-bro ... ng-toronto

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Didn't care for the choco-gose or the Shumei but I liked the Guiltier Remnant when I had it a couple weeks back.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Stopped by yesterday for the first time. They had two IPAs available and I grabbed one of each. Had the Inner IPA last night and didn't like it at all. Couldn't even finish the bottle. I am hoping for better things from the Shumie IPA when I crack that bottle.

The maze to get to the bottle shop was certainly interesting...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

These guys announced home delivery recently. Neato.

gjkerr

Post by gjkerr »

Craig wrote:These guys announced home delivery recently. Neato.
I've used the service once already - I never seem to have time to make it to their neck of the woods, but wanted to try a few things they had available a couple of weeks ago. Shipment arrived promptly - they appear to ship daily or at least regularly, unlike HHOE, which currently only ships on Mondays. There's a six bottle minimum per shipment - looks like they have about a dozen different beers available right now.