Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Beer'n'gin wrote:
DeMarco wrote:I think it's really funny that some LC stores will put out a product asap and others you'll see they'll have stock of a product for a few days and you'll go in looking for it, only to be told they are too lazy to bring it out because it's tucked in the back.
Tucked in the back for days? It's weeks around these parts. Bungling releases like Smuttynose IPA is becoming the norm.
This is the Lawrence and Don Mills location and it's embarrassing the shelf space they have without product. I probably won't ever visit it again, they amount of times I've tried to find stuff that was listed at stock but is hidden or held in the back.

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

zane9 wrote:
Beer'n'gin wrote:Tucked in the back for days? It's weeks around these parts. Bungling releases like Smuttynose IPA is becoming the norm.
Shelving the 12-packs of Molson Canadian is the priority.
Do all cities now sell the 12 packs? My city was one of the first to trial it, not sure if it's any more convenient for consumers or bringing in any extra revenue, kind of a dumb idea to me, but whatever keeps people away from the Beer Store is fine by me.

I joke with staff that they should just open up the back warehouse because that's where I buy my beer. Unless it's stacked too high on skids, I'm usually allowed to browse the back and pick out my 'weird' beer.

Grey

Post by Grey »

deepeary wrote:Any dates on the bottles?
Best by 03/09/16 ... any way to roughly estimate the day it was bottled?

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Grey wrote:
deepeary wrote:Any dates on the bottles?
Best by 03/09/16 ... any way to roughly estimate the day it was bottled?
NAC's Facebook post says,

"We are bottling Finestkind IPA on Wednesday, September 9th, 2015 and shipping out to Ontario on September 14th, 2015."

What's that, a 6 month shelf life?

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Just picked up Central City Red Racer Gingerhead Stout and Schneider Weisse Tap X Mein Cuvée Barrique at King and Spadina

skootles

Post by skootles »

I just had the Gingerhead Stout tonight (happy stout day!) and I didn't really like it too much. It reminded me a lot of spiced ales which I'm not fond of. I didn't have any trouble finishing it though, it just wasn't my kind of beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

admviolin wrote:Just picked up Central City Red Racer Gingerhead Stout and Schneider Weisse Tap X Mein Cuvée Barrique at King and Spadina
I got that one and was wondering about the other tall bottles, is the Petrus the one most worthy? Which are best ones to get?
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

look what's finally at TBS:

Smuttynose Finestkind IPA
Quantity: 6 × Bottle 355 ml Price: $15.00

zane9

Post by zane9 »

spinrsx wrote:look what's finally at TBS:

None showing in Hamilton. I thought it was shipping to self-serve stores. North American Craft FB post, October 8: "if you have a self serve beer store in Hamilton it will be there." :(

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

I find even if it gets listed on their site, it's another one, maybe two weeks to show up. Nothing on the radar in Toronto yet, either.

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

Damn. None at Beer stores anywhere close to my region. And this is still not showing in LCBO inventory?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

whole bunch of finest kind in Ottawa..

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Can anyone speak to how the Finest Kind is tasting?

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

skootles wrote:I just had the Gingerhead Stout tonight (happy stout day!) and I didn't really like it too much. It reminded me a lot of spiced ales which I'm not fond of. I didn't have any trouble finishing it though, it just wasn't my kind of beer.
I came out on the opposite side of the spectrum. I typically am not down with flavoured beers. I found the spicing quite moderate and in balance with the chocolatey/roasted aspects of the beer. In short, a good stout with a some gingerbread spices in it.

Good value at $5.95 if I remember correctly.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Went to the beer store today, was told they may or may not have it, even though it was listed in stock. She looked annoyed in a way that said, it was a busy Friday and that I was not the first person to ask for it, also stating it could buried in the back and it's not currently available...so I left empty handed. Guess I'll try again tomorrow.