Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

nickw

Post by nickw »

I've actually got no real conception of what 10,000 square feet looks like in grocery store form. Does anyone have a better idea, using stores in the downtown Toronto area as comparables?

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

nickw wrote:I've actually got no real conception of what 10,000 square feet looks like in grocery store form. Does anyone have a better idea, using stores in the downtown Toronto area as comparables?
Can we use Rabba foods as a unit of measurement? I think 10k square feet would be about two Rabbas :)
Even the smallest No Frills I can think of exceeds 10k. Maybe about the size of a Shoppers Drug Mart?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

nickw wrote:I've actually got no real conception of what 10,000 square feet looks like in grocery store form. Does anyone have a better idea, using stores in the downtown Toronto area as comparables?
100 feet by 100 feet? Roughly the size of two suburban residential lots.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Masterplan wrote:I should open a 'grocery' store. Get a couple racks of non perishable foods. Set the prices unreasonably high so nobody buys them, and thus I don't have to worry about restocking them too often. Then start just selling beer...

Wonder what the minimum standard to be considered a grocery store is?
I really did contemplate submitting a bid with a grocery store idea. But it was clear that they wanted real stores, and the rules imposed (size of store, etc.) prohibited the type of place I'd want to open (a small neighbourhood store, a la Publican Quality Meats in Chicago). It's classic Ontario, locking out any kind of entrepreneurial possibility within the business of beer when it comes to retail. Yet another time I have to say "It's a shame" with beer here.

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

cratez wrote:Farm Boy and Longo's might hold some promise, but the rest will likely stock as much macro beer as they can get away with.
Sobey's might be decent as well. Some, but not all, of their IGA stores in Quebec have a really solid craft beer selection.

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

A standard freestanding LCBO store is around 8,000-10,000 square feet.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Cass wrote:I really did contemplate submitting a bid with a grocery store idea. But it was clear that they wanted real stores, and the rules imposed (size of store, etc.) prohibited the type of place I'd want to open (a small neighbourhood store, a la Publican Quality Meats in Chicago). It's classic Ontario, locking out any kind of entrepreneurial possibility within the business of beer when it comes to retail. Yet another time I have to say "It's a shame" with beer here.
I think the LCBO/TBS people crafting those policies must have read your posts on the subject. it's a conspiracy, i tell ya!
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

can someone remind me, will this grocery store stuff result in any type of NEW beers that we won't/don't have at the lcbo/beerstore?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

spinrsx wrote:can someone remind me, will this grocery store stuff result in any type of NEW beers that we won't/don't have at the lcbo/beerstore?
No. Everything they sell has to come from the 'BO or TBS.

There's a chance that a grocery chain could go get an import license and start bringing in exclusive offerings (which would still have to come through the LCBO, but wouldn't hit LCBO shelves) but we haven't had any indication yet that any grocers are planning to bother with that.

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

Craig wrote:
spinrsx wrote:can someone remind me, will this grocery store stuff result in any type of NEW beers that we won't/don't have at the lcbo/beerstore?

There's a chance that a grocery chain could go get an import license and start bringing in exclusive offerings (which would still have to come through the LCBO, but wouldn't hit LCBO shelves) but we haven't had any indication yet that any grocers are planning to bother with that.
So a grocery store couldn't go to an Ontario brewery , say Bellwoods, and ask them to start supplying them through the LCBO?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

BlackRedGold wrote:
Craig wrote:

So a grocery store couldn't go to an Ontario brewery , say Bellwoods, and ask them to start supplying them through the LCBO?
Dunno. The LCBO might have a mechanism to "import" Ontario beers, but I'm not aware of it. That's a good question.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Actually the answer is yes... so far. While it's true that it must go through the LCBO, that's just the listing. So what you'll see happen is a company list a product with the LCBO but not have that product actually in any LCBOs. It's a picking sheet for the grocery stores, essentially.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

How easy is that to do? Like are there any listing fees or a 6 month delay for lab testing?

skootles

Post by skootles »

admviolin wrote:
Can we use Rabba foods as a unit of measurement? I think 10k square feet would be about two Rabbas :)
Even the smallest No Frills I can think of exceeds 10k. Maybe about the size of a Shoppers Drug Mart?
Hah, when I saw the 10,000 sq ft rule I got really sad. I had a little bit of hope that my local Rabba would have a remote chance of stocking some beers.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

So when my lotto max ticket comes in, looks like I'll tack on a food market to my brewery operation...