Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I agree with your general point, but in this case with only 200 bottles, how else are you going to reasonably do it? A lottery as they do for Utopia, maybe. But I got the impression that the whole event was a Goose-driven event, not an LCBO one. I think Goose called the shots and decided how and where the bottles would be distributed, and creating a lineup and some Black Friday buzz was part of the mandate. Just my impression; would be interested to hear from anyone in the know.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

midlife crisis wrote:I agree with your general point, but in this case with only 200 bottles, how else are you going to reasonably do it? A lottery as they do for Utopia, maybe. But I got the impression that the whole event was a Goose-driven event, not an LCBO one. I think Goose called the shots and decided how and where the bottles would be distributed, and creating a lineup and some Black Friday buzz was part of the mandate. Just my impression; would be interested to hear from anyone in the know.
Lotteries create a whole host of other problems. Honestly, there really isn't a great way to do this that would give everyone a reasonable chance of getting a bottle. Perhaps the best solution would be to keep it as-is but have it on Saturday instead. But your comments about the Goose people calling the shots are spot-on and their whole BCS branding revolved around Black Friday, so that was never going to happen.

portwood

Post by portwood »

midlife crisis wrote:I agree with your general point, but in this case with only 200 bottles, how else are you going to reasonably do it? A lottery as they do for Utopia, maybe. But I got the impression that the whole event was a Goose-driven event, not an LCBO one. I think Goose called the shots and decided how and where the bottles would be distributed, and creating a lineup and some Black Friday buzz was part of the mandate. Just my impression; would be interested to hear from anyone in the know.
what he said

KGBO should utilize modern technology and allow EVERYONE in the province access to EVERY product available in the province. They could easily achieve this with online shopping and delivery (free* for purchases over a certain amount, say $100) within the province. SAQ already does this with many of their products.

*They already allow inter-store transfers, which they do through courier service. the cost would be the same whether shipping to a store or to a customer!
@markhamwhisky

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

No method of distributing limited quantity beer is ever going to please everybody. But this was a very well-run event. Handing out numbered tickets well before opening helped prevent line-cutters, which for an event like this could easily start some fights. The donuts and coffee were a great bonus that - given the money that is now behind Goose Island - is very easy to do. The process inside was very well organized, allowing people to get in and out smoothly without chaos (220 people all trying to pay at the same time? Could have been bananas). I'm surprised this beer made it to Toronto (especially since they aren't even bringing any of the regular version) but I hope this is just the beginning.
Ren

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I'd like to see them run the Toronto lineup publicity event, then setup a cyber Monday for the rest of the province.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

beerguykw wrote:Personally, I'd like to see a few more "flagship" stores in the province. As it is the LCB of ONTARIO, i don't think its fair to the rest of the province that only those in Toronto are lucky enough to get anything. I would have had to take the day off work and leave at 5 30 in the morning to get to Summerhill in any reasonable amount of time. Every one in the province contributes to their livelihood, but only the 'privileged' in Toronto get to reap the full benefit.
It would be cool to live near the Summerhill LC store. Plus the Oliffe butcher store there is really good!
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Belgian wrote:It would be cool to live near the Summerhill LC store.
Careful what you wish for. It would be cool to afford to live near the store (Rosedale being one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the country)... BUT
I worked across the street until recently and I have to say the temptation to buy stuff that should otherwise remain on the shelf, is unreal. Looking back at the last 5 years and what I've accumulated, I'll admit, I've bought many bottles of whisky that I shouldn't/wouldn't have bought had I NOT worked so close and visited the store at least once a week.

The tasting bar is really the only thing I will miss not being close to the store going forward.
@markhamwhisky

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

portwood wrote:
Belgian wrote:It would be cool to live near the Summerhill LC store.
Careful what you wish for. It would be cool to afford to live near the store (Rosedale being one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the country)... BUT
I worked across the street until recently and I have to say the temptation to buy stuff that should otherwise remain on the shelf, is unreal. Looking back at the last 5 years and what I've accumulated, I'll admit, I've bought many bottles of whisky that I shouldn't/wouldn't have bought had I NOT worked so close and visited the store at least once a week.
Yeah I bet. But then you've got a really nice collection to sip on for a good few years! Can't put a price on life experience & the time to enjoy it.

That IS a great tasting bar, whenever not unexpectedly closed. It's more civilized than almost any LC store & has helpful staff with no attitude.
In Beerum Veritas

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

the tasting bar at Laird is also excellent and they don't charge you for your tastings. you can easily park your ass there for 30-60 min and sample spirits

DBN

Post by DBN »

Belgian wrote:
beerguykw wrote:Personally, I'd like to see a few more "flagship" stores in the province. As it is the LCB of ONTARIO, i don't think its fair to the rest of the province that only those in Toronto are lucky enough to get anything. I would have had to take the day off work and leave at 5 30 in the morning to get to Summerhill in any reasonable amount of time. Every one in the province contributes to their livelihood, but only the 'privileged' in Toronto get to reap the full benefit.
It would be cool to live near the Summerhill LC store. Plus the Oliffe butcher store there is really good!
I'd rather live near the border. All the brew pubs and LCBO stores and future grocery stores that sell beer in Toronto still amount to lipstick on a pig.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

beerguykw wrote:Personally, I'd like to see a few more "flagship" stores in the province.
As would I.
i don't think its fair to the rest of the province that only those in Toronto are lucky enough to get anything.
That's just supply and demand. It still costs them money to move stock around, have it sit on the shelves and all that. So, obviously, they are going to favour metropolitan areas for the more niche products, due to the higher concentration of potential buyers. With some of the even *more* limited things, like Vanilla Rye, they simply can't stock in large quantities at all.
I would have had to take the day off work and leave at 5 30 in the morning to get to Summerhill in any reasonable amount of time. Every one in the province contributes to their livelihood, but only the 'privileged' in Toronto get to reap the full benefit.
That is *exactly* what I did. With another BTer who also did just that. It's the reality of "rare" beer. There's still plenty of other beers to drink out there that don't require jumping through hoops, but calling this "unfair" is denying the fact that you weighed your options and determined that it wasn't worth it - and if that's the case, you should be comfortable with that decision (unless you think you made the wrong one - which is also on you).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

That, and life isn't fair. Toronto has perks, yes but it can also be a big rip off sometimes. Additional land transfer tax? Talk about a useless municipal entity piling onto the gravy train for no justifiable reason besides taking an extra cut whenever the going is good. At least with all the endless BS it can be interesting to live here.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Our property taxes are really low though, so it sorta balances out.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I LOVE LIVING IN THE CITY!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

So there was a 'delay at the lcbo receiving department' so the new stone beers are late. But we might see them sometime next week.