Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nova Scotia

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Another quick trip, and I'll echo the good comments on Stubborn Goat. Very good taplist. Turns into a bit of a nightclub late at night though. Was also into Stillwell's, awesome as always, and Rockbottom (hadn't been in years). Rockbottom still doesn't do it for me in terms of atmosphere, beers were surprising good actually as even in the Nash days they had a lot of misses for me.

Also into Tom's for a few times. They now have their closing date (September?). They also know where they are going, but aren't telling yet. All the servers would tells us is "within a few blocks". Let's hope wherever they go they keep the same vibe.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Back to the Motherland recently. Had a great time in both NB and NS. Few days in Halifax, so some quick updates...

Stillwell awesome as always, had a great night there, impossible not to.
Stillwell Biergarden: sweet spot on the waterfront, man those guys know how to build places that work
Tom's: they are moving to the old Premier space up off Spring Garden. Not sure of the date yet. Glad to have had one last pint before they close. Managed to score the elusive Bad Apple Boxcutter while I was there, man that's a wicked IPA!

Over a week with friends had a few of Nash's new beer, an IPA and DIPA. IPA was just ok, but the DIPA was promising. He released a Berliner Weiss just as I was leaving town, but didn't feel like paying out a whole growler fill to try it.
The retail situation was reasonably grim. Premier (now Rockhead) and all the spots they now own are pretty bland. I am as stupid a beer shopper as anyone, and in trips to Rockhead and Crystal Wines not a single beer I wanted to bother buying. Bishop's Cellar is looking better than it used to, but still, slim pickings.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

I recently was there and definitely enjoyed Stillwell. Very friendly and knowledgeable guys manning the bar. North Brewing is doing some of my favorite stuff in the province. They had a great Saison and a Belgian IPA that I prefer to the Stone release currently in LCBO.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Managed to sneak in another short trip this week. Great timing as the new Tom's had just opened. Pretty neat spot. Not quite as cozy as the old place, but the look in feel is pretty similar. They have to do something about the low table area near the entrance. It's all under glass, and is very bright during the day and at night (there are two huge lights just above). Staff said they were working on figuring something out for that space. The tall tables and bar area are solid. Few extra taps, and boxcutter was reliably on tap the whole time so that was nice.

Also went to Nash's new taproom attached to the Unfiltered Brewery. Similar in style to many new taprooms, kinda Scandinavian industrial if that makes any sense. Lots of concrete and white I guess. Anyway, an ok spot, although they have to find a way to get the ambient noise ramped up a bit. It's a small space and easy to hear everyone's conversation. Could hear Nash and his buddies fuckityfuckfucker their way through a whole conversation. Anyway, good addition to that area of the city. I hadn't been up there inawhile and by the time Good Robot opens their tap room, that's going to be quite the booming drinking area. Lots of cool spots along Agricola just around the corner from Nash, North Brewing is there, etc.

Was also into Stillwell again a few times, great as always. And the Stubborn Goat where my buddy was served a La Resolution from Unibroue in a 20oz glass. I'm thinking that's a bad idea.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Excellent report. I note the URL for the brewery is unfuckingfiltered.com.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

The F-bomb is definitely part of that gang's schtick. I'm not into it, but whatever, to each their own. The taproom is apparently officially named "Charm School", which given their schtick is pretty funny.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Heading down mid October, any updates on NS?

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

If the weather holds up you may get lucky and have the Stillwell beer garden still open at the top of Spring Garden Rd.

Battery Park is open now in Dartmouth. You can take the Welfare Harbour Cruise aka ferry, across the harbour, it's just a few blocks up from the terminal.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Wow! Sounds like that instantly becomes one of the top 3 or 4 beer bars in Halifax-Dartmouth area. And a ride on the Welfare Harbour Cruise too. Hope to get there soon.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

I was in Halifax this past weekend. Unfiltered is making some excellent IPAs. I loved the Double Orange Ale. The departure lounge at Halifax airport now has a liquor store selling only Nova Scotia products. A small but good selection of beer. Some Boxing Rock, Spindrift, Nine Locks. It is after security so no problem to load up your carry-on and get it home.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Just got back from a few days in Halifax.

New to me:
Battery Park... really awesome spot! Maybe 15 beer on tap, handful of North taps (they have a retail bottle shop on site as well) and a good mix of other regionals. Food was awesome, great vibe. If it was in the city, it would make an awesome alternative to Stillwell. The ferry ride does add some charm, and it's only a few blocks from the ferry terminal.
2 Crows Brewing: Super cool bar right in the middle of their brewery floor. Handful of their own beer on tap as well as another handful of guest taps. Cans to go. Beer was just ok, but the vibe was awesome.

Back again:
Unfiltered/Charm School: still don't care for the place, but the beer is solid.
Stillwell: same old awesome spot. I spent a lot of money there an ate way too many fries!
Tom's: again, same old awesome spot.
Rockbottom: beer was unremarkable, still don't care for the vibe in there.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

rejtable wrote:Just got back from a few days in Halifax.

Back again:

Tom's: again, same old awesome spot.
Thanks for the report. Did you really think the new Tom's is as awesome as the old? I didn't have a very good experience. Maybe they were just having an off night.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

midlife crisis wrote:Thanks for the report. Did you really think the new Tom's is as awesome as the old? I didn't have a very good experience. Maybe they were just having an off night.
This isn't my first visit since it changed locations, and I admit that I'm biased in that a few of the wait staff know me by name there (for sure the only bar that I can say that about), but as long as you can get a seat by the bar, I actually prefer the new site. Sitting out by the door in the open area isn't great though, a bit wide open.

What I like about the new site:

1. The toilets. THE TOILETS. Were you ever in the old bathroom? My god. I feel like they had to dig that gigantic whole in the ground when they tore the old building down just to get rid of the environmental disgrace that was their old bathroom.
2. Beer: they have more lines now, and they aren't cluttered up by things like Keiths. Now they pretty regularly have 8 or so offerings, all craft, and the most reliable access to Boxcutter in the province.

I think they did a good enough job on the décor to make it at least feel like the old place. And I prefer the high tables near the bar now to any of the seating they had previously.

So yeah, I'm ok with the new spot. I do think that overall it is an improvement. Of course, the beer could have been changed independent of the location. But the new spot has enough going on for me (the TOILETS) that I'm cool with it. I also like that it's more up in the happening part of Spring Garden, not that a few blocks makes that much difference.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Anything new and noteworthy in Halifax?

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Without going back to the whole thread, I think this sums up Halifax pretty well:

Stillwell: YES! They also have a bottle shop for their house beers in the old Propeller location, don't know what the hours are.
Unfiltered: Fcukityfuckfuck you should go, bring soap for your mouth.
2 Crows: neat spot, tons of brett beers.
Battery Park (Dartmouth): I think this place is crazy underrated, even by locals.

There are lots of other secondary beer spots (Tom's, good robot, Stubborn Goat, North brewing, etc).