Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario Announces First Winning Bidders for Sale of Beer in Grocery Stores

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

It's been rather funny listening to coworkers discussing the beer in grocery stores. Basically, if you live in downtown Toronto not a single store you might access got it. So as more Torontonians start to figure this out, I think they might be feeling a bit left out.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

According to CBC, Metro by Stone Road Mall in Guelph is selling beer as of today. The LCBO at least isn't in the same parking lot as Metro, but it really is just at the other end of the mall.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener ... 70?cmp=rss

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

napoleon wrote:It's been rather funny listening to coworkers discussing the beer in grocery stores. Basically, if you live in downtown Toronto not a single store you might access got it. So as more Torontonians start to figure this out, I think they might be feeling a bit left out.
Lol, at Toronto being "left out" on beer sales/availability....

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Here's my thoughts for the day

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Masterplan wrote:
napoleon wrote:It's been rather funny listening to coworkers discussing the beer in grocery stores. Basically, if you live in downtown Toronto not a single store you might access got it. So as more Torontonians start to figure this out, I think they might be feeling a bit left out.
I think we're good for a while. Saves on hearing the bitching from non-Torontonians. :wink:
lister

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

just grabbed a Canuck, Boneshaker and Headstock from the Zehrs in Cambridge, lotsa people shopping the section and they had a steady line a the checkout and a stocker constantly refilling the shelves

pretty nice first experience and the Canuck is drinking great

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

Was the beer cold?
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

matt7215 wrote: pretty nice first experience and the Canuck is drinking great
And now I'm starting to understand why Canadians insist on being photographed in the alcohol aisles of supermarkets and Walmarts in the states :)

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Swampale wrote:Was the beer cold?
no it wasnt, just on shelves on an end aisle display

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

I was at the Victoria Park Loblaws today. Two piddly end-of-aisle displays. Nothing refrigerated. What a cruel joke.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

TwoPint wrote:I was at the Victoria Park Loblaws today. Two piddly end-of-aisle displays. Nothing refrigerated. What a cruel joke.
I gather the plan is to offer refrigerated product early next year. I wonder if they're keeping stock cold in back? I assume a big grocery store would have a lot of refrigerated storage for all the dairy and veggies and whatnot.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

I'm sure that in the near future, the stores that care about beer will adhere to better storage/display procedues. But the bottom line right now is marketing and visibility. The technical aspects can be worked on later.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

TwoPint wrote:I was at the Victoria Park Loblaws today. Two piddly end-of-aisle displays. Nothing refrigerated. What a cruel joke.
Most of the LCBOs I go to have the majority of their beer on the shelf - unrefrigerated.

Premier Gourmet, despite having a walk in fridge, regularly has the majority of their IPAs sitting out on the shelf at room temperature.

Let's not be unrealistic with our expectations here.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Masterplan wrote:
yeah.. reading that comment made me grind my teeth a little bit... christ, that's some next-level entitlement

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Most of the LCBOs I go to have the majority of their beer on the shelf - unrefrigerated.

Premier Gourmet, despite having a walk in fridge, regularly has the majority of their IPAs sitting out on the shelf at room temperature.

Let's not be unrealistic with our expectations here.
I would say most of the LCBO's I go to have at least 50% of the beer in coolers, maybe more. Perhaps some older stores don't have that capability, but it seems to be the trend.