Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nickel Brook Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Facebook page said Kentucky bastard is shipping to lcbos tomorow
Strange, I just tried to search for Kentucky Bastard on the LCBO site and it's no longer listed. Even more disturbing is that all Nickel Brook products seem to have been removed from the site.

skootles

Post by skootles »

Weird, I don't get any results for a whole bunch of craft beers. Amsterdam, Beau's, even Mill Street, nothing comes up when I search for them on the LCBO's site.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

LCBO product pages totally glitched out today, hopefully resolved soon.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Cuvee 2015 is in the LCBO now, according to their twitter.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Craig wrote:Cuvee 2015 is in the LCBO now, according to their twitter.
Who's twitter? Which cuvee? What LCBO's? Why no notice? WHERE?! How drool...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Masterplan wrote:
Craig wrote:Cuvee 2015 is in the LCBO now, according to their twitter.
Who's twitter? Which cuvee? What LCBO's? Why no notice? WHERE?! How drool...
NB's.
NB's.
Quite a few of them.
All over this great province.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I thought I was in the LCBO thread... Sorry.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I forgive you.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Nickel Brook Brewing ‏@NickelBrookBeer 6m6 minutes ago Burlington, Ontario
Café Del Bastardo - now at our Brewery Retail Store - a barrel aged imperial stout infused with whole coffee beans

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Craig wrote:Nickel Brook Brewing ‏@NickelBrookBeer 6m6 minutes ago Burlington, Ontario
Café Del Bastardo - now at our Brewery Retail Store - a barrel aged imperial stout infused with whole coffee beans
Cracked my first Cafe Del tonight. Lots of coffee right now. I prefer it to this year's Kentucky Bastard.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

mahcinesquad wrote:
Craig wrote:Nickel Brook Brewing ‏@NickelBrookBeer 6m6 minutes ago Burlington, Ontario
Cracked my first Cafe Del tonight. Lots of coffee right now. I prefer it to this year's Kentucky Bastard.
What type of barrel is it aged in? I'm assuming bourbon.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

^^^^
According to the label, they literally threw coffee beans in barrels of Kentucky Bastard, so that would be bourbon. I had a sample and it was really good. A lot of coffee. Bourbon was quite subdued. I would need to drink more to give more insight, however, I definately recommend picking up a bottle. Pretty much the same price point per ml as most Bellwood's barrel aged beers.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Definitely agree that the bourbon is subdued compared to the coffee, which really shines through as it warms.

I think I'll try and pick up another one when I'm in Burlington this weekend.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Any idea how much of this (Cafe Bastardo) remains?

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

BakaGaijin wrote:^^^^
According to the label, they literally threw coffee beans in barrels of Kentucky Bastard, so that would be bourbon. I had a sample and it was really good. A lot of coffee. Bourbon was quite subdued. I would need to drink more to give more insight, however, I definately recommend picking up a bottle. Pretty much the same price point per ml as most Bellwood's barrel aged beers.
Sounds promising.I think I prefer classic Bolshevik to Kentucky Bastard so I could probably get in on a more coffee-forward version. Not sure I'll be able to get out to Burlington in time though. Shame this one isn't headed to the LCBO.