Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

On New Year's Eve at Milos' Craft Beer Emporium with NRMan, Bearing, and my better half:
Neustadt Scottish Ale (draft)
Beerlab Citra Azacca El Dorado IPA (draft)
Budweiser Budvar Original (draft)
Beerlab Funk Soul (draft)
Thiriez & Jester King La Petite Princesse (bottle)
2012 Rogue XS Old Crustacean Barleywine (draft)
2012 Nickel Brook Kentucky Bastard Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout (draft)
2006 O’Hanlon’s Thomas Hardy’s Ale (bottle)

Right now:
Pilsner Urquell

Happy New Year everyone!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

* comment retracted for excessive sarcasm *
Last edited by Belgian on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

I spoke to soon. I went into the lcbo near my work and saw they have a label up for 10 but it's just not arrived yet. They also have me the good news that fat tug is also on order.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

I have recently developed a taste for Double IPAs, used to hate them. Unfortunately, there are not usually a huge selection at the LCBO, I usually do better on the Quebec side. The Hickson Imperial IPA is pretty good when I end up at the IGA.

Anyway, to get back to the subject of this thread, I'm drinking the Big Rig Disturber Double IPA and am enjoying it a lot. Currently available in cans at the brewery. Hope more local breweries try the Double/Imperial IPA. I've also enjoyed the Imperial Rye Guy at Beyond the Pale.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Over the past couple days...

DeGarde Cherry Gose
Depth Charged Double Bastard (risky as it was a day past its best by date!!).
Indie Ale House Furlong (Fates and Furies bottling that I enjoyed far more than when I had it last year on tap)
Ballast Point The Commodore American Stout
Bellwoods Lost River Baltic Porter.

New Year's resolution is to drink down what has become a ridiculous cellar and fridge. I'm trying to get down to less than 50 bottles by the end of March. Liver don't fail me now!

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Coronaeus wrote:Over the past couple days...

DeGarde Cherry Gose
Depth Charged Double Bastard (risky as it was a day past its best by date!!).
Indie Ale House Furlong (Fates and Furies bottling that I enjoyed far more than when I had it last year on tap)
Ballast Point The Commodore American Stout
Bellwoods Lost River Baltic Porter.

New Year's resolution is to drink down what has become a ridiculous cellar and fridge. I'm trying to get down to less than 50 bottles by the end of March. Liver don't fail me now!
Not sure if you were begin sarcastic but the Double Bastard line is fine for aging. Obviously you already have a problem with cellar beer lol but I thought I would say it anyways.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

enjoying the 2015 bottling of dragon's milk. great balance of stout and whisky flavours

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

CoolB wrote:
Coronaeus wrote:
Not sure if you were begin sarcastic but the Double Bastard line is fine for aging. Obviously you already have a problem with cellar beer lol but I thought I would say it anyways.
It was a half-hearted attempt at a bad joke. I appreciate the brewery's keen interest in ensuring customers know the freshness of things. I thought it was a bit odd, however, that the box had a best before date of january 6th, despite containing bottles with various dates, and various abilities to take age. Paranthetically, to my taste, the coffee one has been the best of the lot, but I doubt I will go to any great lengths to try any of the beers from the box again.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Coronaeus wrote:
CoolB wrote:
Coronaeus wrote:
It was a half-hearted attempt at a bad joke. I appreciate the brewery's keen interest in ensuring customers know the freshness of things. I thought it was a bit odd, however, that the box had a best before date of january 6th, despite containing bottles with various dates, and various abilities to take age. Paranthetically, to my taste, the coffee one has been the best of the lot, but I doubt I will go to any great lengths to try any of the beers from the box again.
My feelings exact. The only of the lot I truly enjoyed was the depth charged double bastard. I don't get the arrogant bastard hype.

You think Stone is bad for pushing the freshness agenda try to talk to Tree House about getting Julius IPA anywhere except the brewery after standing in a mile long line lol. I've inquired about their beer in Canada 3 times through the website and they don't even bother to reply. They're probably worried that they'll lose freshness just thinking of sending beer to Canada.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Moon Under Water Goldamsel Barrel aged Berliner Weisse with Peaches and Apricots. (love their beers)
Dunham Stout Imperiale Russe (Bourbon Barrel) .

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Coronaeus wrote:Moon Under Water Goldamsel Barrel aged Berliner Weisse with Peaches and Apricots
After drinking it, can you say accurately recite the full name three times? :D

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Drinking a 2011 DDC Solstice D'Hiver from the lcbo release. It is seriously amazing how well this has held up.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Had a Lawsons Super Session #2 and Sip of Sunshine, plus a Heady Topper this afternoon....from my Vermont roadtrip.
All great...but still love the Focal Banger I had in VT the most.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Drinking my one and only Great Lakes Imperial Bout... my goodness this is fantastic. Totally wish I had another one.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Coronaeus wrote:I thought it was a bit odd, however, that the box had a best before date of january 6th, despite containing bottles with various dates, and various abilities to take age.
Maybe the Bastard got to be so old because LCBO needed 12 weeks to put on all those helpful "expiry date" labels on the boxes?
In Beerum Veritas