Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Brothers Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zane9

Brothers Brewing

Post by zane9 »

Brothers just posted this on Facebook! Love it.

"We turned crap beer into craft beer, substituting macro light lager for our brewing water when making a 6.5% American I.P.A. Check out the video!"

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

zane9 wrote:Brothers just posted this on Facebook! Love it.

"We turned crap beer into craft beer, substituting macro light lager for our brewing water when making a 6.5% American I.P.A. Check out the video!"
i watched the video.
just wondering what it was that you loved.
and a serious question: do you work for the brewery? you also created this other post/thread before about the same brewery.
zane9 wrote:Clearly some kickstarter/crowdfunding campaigns are more about marketing, customer engagement, and building loyalty than an actual need for hard cash to establish the business.

Look at the campaign launched by the start-up SHED Brewing in Dundas (Hamilton). The objective is to restore the original brick of its historic building, and "return the old Dundas Curling and Skating Rink sign and return the Bus Destination banner." SHED has already purchased and is installing its brewing equipment, the head brewer is in place, etc.

Would the owners have restored the brick and signage, regardless? Quite likely. But this is a clever idea aimed squarely at their future customers, heritage architecture loyalists, and so on.
you've taken an interest to this brewery. maybe it's in your home town? maybe you know the brewers? maybe you sincerely love everything they're doing? i don't know.

but i'm missing what you're into re: this latest youtube video

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Thanks for posting this, I found it amusing. Despite what someone else says, you hardly have to justify why you "loved it". Not sure what's behind all those questions.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

S. St. Jeb wrote:

Thanks for posting this, I found it amusing. Despite what someone else says, you hardly have to justify why you "loved it". Not sure what's behind all those questions.
oh, it's you again.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

atomeyes wrote:
i watched the video.
just wondering what it was that you loved.
and a serious question: do you work for the brewery? you also created this other post/thread before about the same brewery.
you've taken an interest to this brewery. maybe it's in your home town? maybe you know the brewers? maybe you sincerely love everything they're doing? i don't know.

but i'm missing what you're into re: this latest youtube video
Aaaah...no. I have no professional or business interest in the brewery, despite what your conspiracy-theorist impulses are telling your brain :wink:

I thought the video was clever, fun, and self-deprecating. "Upcycle IPA" is a joke/hoax. Who cares! Good for Brothers Brewery.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

I thought it was amusing. Glad they pointed out how ridiculously expensive this would be. Clearly it's a case of they "could do it" as opposed to "should do it". No way brewing with Coors light makes the end beer better.

I love how some people just need to hate so much.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Man what is with the trolling, it was a cool idea, glad I watched it. Move on.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Let's not pick on someone who's clearly an active and engaged BarTowel member. Someone who's posted here over 400 times on a variety of topics is clearly not a shill.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

I found the video entertaining but I'm obviously a bit gullible. I had no idea it was a fake/joke. I thought maybe they did a small batch. Glad I didn't repost this in my other beer forum lol.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Amusing.

On a side note, and at the risk of offending someone, is there some kind of law with respect to naming breweries that I am not aware of? It seems like every fifth new brewery has a familial designation in the name (Blood Brothers, Brothers, 4 Fathers, etc.). I mean, I have no plans to open a brewery but am thinking I should register a name just in case we start running out of allowable combinations! I'd hate to be left with 2 Step-Mothers and a Sickly Uncle Brewing Company.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Add me to the camp who thinks that video was just awful ... at least the minute or so that I could actually make it through was.

So far, I have to say that I am very unimpressed by these guys. I hope they lose some of the "bro" thing they have going and reinvent themselves.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Add me to the camp who thinks that video was just awful ... at least the minute or so that I could actually make it through was.

So far, I have to say that I am very unimpressed by these guys. I hope they lose some of the "bro" thing they have going and reinvent themselves.
I also didn't last too long watching that. I am curious about what animal cruelty groups think of pouring beer into a fish bowl that have fish in it.

I've heard through the grapevine that Brothers gave samples to another brewery, the other brewery thought it was pretty bad. I'm not sure what to make of it as I haven't liked too much of the other breweries beers.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Kish84 wrote: I am curious about what animal cruelty groups think
In all seriousness, there is no reason to assume they poured actual beer into the bowl, given that the entire video was (an attempt at) a joke. I also suspect that the effect of an actual splash of Coors Light in a betta fish bowl would be roughly comparable to that of a homeopathic remedy. Let's be honest - that stuff is pre-diluted.

Mildly amusing video, but this thread itself proved much more entertaining. "Not one, but TWO posts about the same brewery?" Clearly he must be on their payroll!

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

I thought this video was terrible.

Put more focus on the actual product and less on the unfunny "lol lets go viral" shtick.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

napoleon wrote:Let's not pick on someone who's clearly an active and engaged BarTowel member. Someone who's posted here over 400 times on a variety of topics is clearly not a shill.
it's not picking. it was a legit question.
two brothers from Guelph post 3 youtube videos and that poster's started 2 threads (pretty sure he started the other one) about them.

surprised someone didn't post the stupid video of them hollowing out a pumpkin and making a copper manifold to brew inside the pumpkin.
2 gimmick videos, 1 Kickstarter video (also a gimmick). that, and each video using the looping stock folk music that you see in typical Fund Me videos, while they're proclaiming their lack of macroness, and i and most of my friends have no patience for this silliness.

meanwhile, in Toronto, you have Bandit and Halo Breweries quietly going about their business. no videos. no gimmicks. just building a brewery. same with Barncat, west of Toronto.