Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Peche Day 2016

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Provost Drunk

Peche Day 2016

Post by Provost Drunk »

Peche Day 2016 will be February 27. Volo will have 6 different varieties on nitro as well as a pretty stellar line up of 26 other stouts/porters.

Full details on their Facebook page:

My only quibble is that the new cognac barrel aged edition is not among the six.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

And for the benefit of those outside the GTA, here is the list of other participating bars:

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2015/12 ... -day-2016/

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Yikes. Sorry, but is putting a keg on nitro the best way to enjoy a beer? Is DDC instructing Volo to put all their beers on nitro, or are they doing that on their own?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

FEUO wrote:Yikes. Sorry, but is putting a keg on nitro the best way to enjoy a beer? Is DDC instructing Volo to put all their beers on nitro, or are they doing that on their own?
pretty sure they have to be kegged with nitro in order to be put on nitro. no?
and i'd agree. Peche on nitro is excellent

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

FEUO wrote:Yikes. Sorry, but is putting a keg on nitro the best way to enjoy a beer? Is DDC instructing Volo to put all their beers on nitro, or are they doing that on their own?
Have you never had peche on nitro??!

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Peche on Nitro is a religious experience 8)

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

rfrf wrote:
that and Aphrodisiaque on nitro are killer

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

atomeyes wrote:
rfrf wrote:
that and Aphrodisiaque on nitro are killer
I much prefer Aphro....but did enjoy the variations of Peche last time....looks like a fun event.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

rfrf wrote:
I wouldn't comment if I hadn't. Had it at the DDC brewpub a numerous on nitro as well as at Bar Hop.
I mean I'm splitting hairs. Its great on nitro, but I PREFER it not to be.
It would be nice to have a choice IF I was going to Volo.

Tap setups add nitro a majority of the time. I've heard of kegs being preconditioned with some mix of CO2 and N but its not what normally happens.
Volo being the cask freaks likely have a solid nitro setup to pull this off.
But I think nitrogen-izing mutes flavours. Its not as sharp.

Again, this is my PREFERENCE. Not saying that others won't prefer it over regular tap setups.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

FEUO wrote:
rfrf wrote:
I wouldn't comment if I hadn't. Had it at the DDC brewpub a numerous on nitro as well as at Bar Hop.
I mean I'm splitting hairs. Its great on nitro, but I PREFER it not to be.
It would be nice to have a choice IF I was going to Volo.

Tap setups add nitro a majority of the time. I've heard of kegs being preconditioned with some mix of CO2 and N but its not what normally happens.
Volo being the cask freaks likely have a solid nitro setup to pull this off.
But I think nitrogen-izing mutes flavours. Its not as sharp.

Again, this is my PREFERENCE. Not saying that others won't prefer it over regular tap setups.
i know what you mean. i'd say that nitro ROUNDS flavours. doesn't mute them, but yeah, same thing. CO2 tends to accentuate bitterness. makes it pop. that's why cask IPAs are usually really dumb. guessing nitro taps take away that punch that CO2 has. larger air bubbles blah blah science

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

These uppercase exclamations are hilarious.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

DeMarco wrote:These uppercase exclamations are hilarious.
No, YOU'RE hilarious!

:wink:

skootles

Post by skootles »

One thing I missed when I first saw this:
Full line up will run on Saturday and on Sunday the following day from 2pm-2am. Beers are subject to change and availability.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Thought this went really well. The folks at Volo are the best at running these kinds of events.

Really loved all the variants, tho i didn't try the dry one. Not a big dry stout fan.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

jeremyg wrote:Thought this went really well. The folks at Volo are the best at running these kinds of events.

Really loved all the variants, tho i didn't try the dry one. Not a big dry stout fan.
I also thought the event was well run, especially considering the space constraints that volo has. The above seasonal temperature yesterday was HUGE, as it allowed the patio to be fully functional without people freezing their asses off.