Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

Yeah I just read on momandhops as well that GlB will release Thrust in tallboys on Feb 19th. Hopefully they will hit the LCBO shelves shortly after.

http://www.momandhops.ca/new-releases-february-2016/

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

Winter is Coming wrote:Yeah I just read on momandhops as well that GlB will release Thrust in tallboys on Feb 19th. Hopefully they will hit the LCBO shelves shortly after.

http://www.momandhops.ca/new-releases-february-2016/
"brewery only this time"

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at the LCBO: (more beaus..)

Beau's Tyrannosaurus Gruit

Beau's Embittermint Ipa

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

annnd more Beaus..

BEAUS GOLDEN VOX
Canada | Beau'S All Natural Brewing
LCBO 453480 | 600 mL | $ 5.25

and new at TBS:

Stack Lacloche Belgian
Stack Impact Altbier
Billy Bishop Brown Ale
Flight Delay IPA

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Beau's, Beau's and more Beau's....the LCBO sure has a knack for drowning us in the stuff no one really wants.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Lukie wrote:Beau's, Beau's and more Beau's....the LCBO sure has a knack for drowning us in the stuff no one really wants.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Lukie wrote:Beau's, Beau's and more Beau's....the LCBO sure has a knack for drowning us in the stuff no one really wants.
That should read "stuff no one on bartowel really wants" because their stuff probably outsells every other Ontario brewer currently available at the LCBO by a pretty significant margin.

While their beers are quite far from being great, I will say their quality as of late is better than it was even a year ago, they even managed to brew somethings to style even! (providing they didn't just invent the style themselves)

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

PeenSteen wrote:
That should read "stuff no one on bartowel really wants" because their stuff probably outsells every other Ontario brewer currently available at the LCBO by a pretty significant margin.

While their beers are quite far from being great, I will say their quality as of late is better than it was even a year ago, they even managed to brew somethings to style even! (providing they didn't just invent the style themselves)
outsells every other Ontario Brewer? I find that hard to believe as the only format they use is fairly unappealing size and price wise. I imagine brewers like Nickel Brook and Muskoka both outsell Beau's due to their tallboy product format.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Winter is Coming wrote:outsells every other Ontario Brewer? I find that hard to believe as the only format they use is fairly unappealing size and price wise. I imagine brewers like Nickel Brook and Muskoka both outsell Beau's due to their tallboy product format.
It's an interesting question, either way. I think you're underestimating Beau's, though. Their stuff is found nearly everywhere in ON, and even though I agree with your points about their 600 mL format and general value, the bottles still seem to move pretty quickly despite it. Their beers, especially their core brands and rotating labels, are basic, inoffensive, and more approachable than a lot of the NB and Muskoka labels that are more popular with BTers. Lug Tread in particular, their flagship, is something that nearly any beer drinker can enjoy (or at least tolerate without too much complaint).

They (usually) have classy label art, the bottles make it look like a top-shelf premium product, and the marketing/presentation is generally very slick. They constantly emphasize the organic nature of their ingredients and the green-ness of the brewery, which draws in the sort of people who care about that stuff. Mill Street shared a lot of these traits, and with them out of the picture I can start to understand why Beau's is at (or at least near) the top of the heap volume-wise.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Winter is Coming wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:

outsells every other Ontario Brewer? I find that hard to believe as the only format they use is fairly unappealing size and price wise. I imagine brewers like Nickel Brook and Muskoka both outsell Beau's due to their tallboy product format.
i don't like Beau's. No one i know likes Beau's.
but i can assure you that their following is one of the strongest in Ontario. i haven't seen the numbers, but i wouldn't be shocked if they aren't far behind GLB in terms of LCBOsales. maybe even ahead.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS

Rickards Red Session
Can 473 ml Price: $2.50

Walkerville Honest Lager
Can 473 ml Price: $2.75

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

atomeyes wrote: i don't like Beau's. No one i know likes Beau's.
but i can assure you that their following is one of the strongest in Ontario. i haven't seen the numbers, but i wouldn't be shocked if they aren't far behind GLB in terms of LCBOsales. maybe even ahead.
You couldn't say it better. I don't like Beau's. None of my beer friends like Beau's. Every time I'm tempted, I generally regret spending the amount of money I've spent on the quality. But you're right, someone must be buying their products. I can't imagine Joe Sixpack enjoying a Gruit, but what do I know.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

Walkerville Easy Stout
LCBO#: 453985 | 473 mL can
$2.95

Lost Craft Revivale
LCBO#: 456996 | 473 mL can
$3.00

Camerons 'Cosmic' Cream Ale
LCBO#: 445064 | 473 mL can
$2.80

Amsterdam Starke Pilsner
LCBO#: 458513 | 473 mL can
$2.95

Amsterdam Homegrown Saison
LCBO#: 458505 | 650 mL bottle
$7.95

Reynard The Fox Rye Golden Ale
LCBO#: 453977 | 473 mL can
$2.85

and even more beaus!

Beau's Elephant Monsoon

Beau's Farm Table Pils

Collective Arts Project Black Ipa 473ml

Side Launch Brewing Company Mountain Lager

Lake Of Bays Wild North Series Midnight Bock

Sawdust City Gateway Kolsch 473ml

Cadillac Graveyard Flying Monkeys Craft Brew 750ml

Sawdust City Ol' Woody Alt 473ml

Deep Tracks Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery 750ml

Sawdust City Skinny Dippin' Stout 473ml

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Our bock is definitely just for grocery, so many of these might be as well. No way to tell right now I guess.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

When you say "just for grocery" - do you mean just certain grocery stores, or certain areas.. or both?
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Our bock is definitely just for grocery, so many of these might be as well. No way to tell right now I guess.