Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Burdock Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Outside of the 2 Berliners (2nd being on the margin) I think they have a ways to go to make good beers, and on style
Reliable Beer Critic

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

northyorksammy wrote:Outside of the 2 Berliners (2nd being on the margin) I think they have a ways to go to make good beers, and on style
you may not be wrong...but...
judging by the accolades heaped on Burdock by beer people i very much respect, i'm thinking that they have repeatability/quality issues. which is fineish for a new brewery. i give them credit for trying so many new recipes, but, truth be told, Torontonians wouldn't care if you had the same 6 beer on tap for 3+ months. so i'd focus on knowing your system, refining the recipes, ensuring repeatability and then slowly increasing the # of recipes.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I've had about 10 of Burdock's beers and thought Westcoast Pilsener, Brett Saison, Golden Brett Ale were above average. Everything else was decent, except the peach Berliner, which I found barely sour.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I have had 13 of their beers, and can't say I disliked any of them. The Peach and Apricot Berliner and the North East Brown Ale have been my favourites.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

i've liked pretty much everything i've had

the berliner and session saison are probably my favorites. the citra/nelson pale ale is really tasty. really interesting takes on various styles, like the west coast pilsner and farmhouse stout.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Picked up 8 of the 10 available beers they had earlier this week. Skipped the Bloor Lager and the West Coast Pils (now reading I maybe should have grabbed that). Just not in the mood for a Pils in the middle of winter.
Excited to get into a few of these this weekend.
The NE Brown ale definitely has my attention as I've always liked American brown ales (Grizzly Beer by Bellwoods, Indian Brown Ale by DFH). The other one I picked up that appears to no longer be available must be the Super Saison. Will check when I get home, but I think thats right.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

FEUO wrote:Picked up 8 of the 10 available beers they had earlier this week. Skipped the Bloor Lager and the West Coast Pils (now reading I maybe should have grabbed that). Just not in the mood for a Pils in the middle of winter.
Excited to get into a few of these this weekend.
The NE Brown ale definitely has my attention as I've always liked American brown ales (Grizzly Beer by Bellwoods, Indian Brown Ale by DFH). The other one I picked up that appears to no longer be available must be the Super Saison. Will check when I get home, but I think thats right.
the west coast pilsner is sick. totally not your typical pils.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

bottle shop showing a cranberry berliner and galaxy/citra pale ale

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

jeremyg wrote:
the west coast pilsner is sick. totally not your typical pils.
I agree...I'm normally pretty "meh" on Pilsners, but theirs was quite good. Although I noticed a rather large difference between tap and bottle with tap being much better. Perhaps it was the age, as the hops seemed rather weak in the bottle.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Coronaeus wrote:Kudos to Burdock for having an easy to use web-site that tracks the current beer inventory, down to the bottle.

More of this please local brewers!
Ya, they don't do it anymore...I don't think it's 100% up to date by day either...missed some stuff when I went Saturday, that I swear the website had said was in stock.
ercousin wrote:FYI Burdock has prices and stock levels for every beer in their bottle shop. Surprised no one has praised them for that yet considering how much people want brewery websites to list bottles...

http://burdockto.com/bottleshop/
I guess they said "efff that" to the prices and quantities on their bottle shop page. Not there anymore, haven't seen it the past week.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Brett Lime was released today in 750ml bottles.

FYI, bring your own carriers/bags. The carriers they use do not hold the bottles, and they use the flimsiest of grey plastic bags to send you on your way with the bottles.

Also, it is a shame that the great bottle shop web-site they were running isn't being kept up anymore. The site shows the Brett Lime and WC Pilsner, but they had one or two others available too when i was there around 1 PM.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

They are updating the website better now....with bottle numbers on there again.
But ya...I picked up the Vermont Ale today, and it wasn't on the bottleshop site. Now, apparently there is an APA they've put out later in the day too.

As long as they have everything that the website says they have - I'm happy. More/bonus beers is great....but if the site says they have it, and it's sold out....that's not cool.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

burdockonbloor

TOMORROW FRIDAY 13th we are releasing ••••NOOM•••• Imperial Dark Saison aged in Cognac Barrels with Sour Cherries (11.1%) Drinks like black forest cake affogato. Quite possibly one of our best yet. ~1500 x 375ml bottles produced. $10/bottle. Also on tap for limited time.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I just tried a bottle of Noom, and it is ridiculous. Tart, complex, nice level of cherry flavour... It's just great. Best local beer I've had in ages.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Craig wrote:I just tried a bottle of Noom, and it is ridiculous. Tart, complex, nice level of cherry flavour... It's just great. Best local beer I've had in ages.
Big praise! I grabbed a couple bottles but haven't cracked one open yet...might be my next beer now :D