Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

worst Ontario beer of 2015?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

worst Ontario beer of 2015?

Post by atomeyes »

We've had time to reflect.
what was the worst Ontario beer you had in 2015?

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

For me it was Dinner Jacket O'Red IPA from Arch Brewing
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Naughty Otter Lager. Maybe the can was off - it was only 2 months old, but I found it on an unrefrigerated shelf. I was left with the impression that I'd rather drink Molson Canadian. It tasted corny, vegetal, and just plain bad. Hopefully it was just a lousy batch or something.

Dishonourable mention to Trafalgar's Fresh Hop Harvest, but really, it's my own damn fault for continuing to give those guys a chance. Been a few years since my last popcorn butter bomb.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

There was one spectacularly bad beer at zwanze but I can't remember what it was. Liam or Pino could probably fill in the blank.

The Arch dinner jacket is a pretty good choice.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

i know he posts here, but honest feedback's better than lying.
i had a sample bottle of Pitschfork's Pitsch Perfect Pilsner.
i'd rather drink soup made from burning rubber and children's tears.
it tasted all sorts of wrong. couldn't finish the glass.

as a homebrewer, i honestly wish i could tell you what was wrong with that beer. but it was beyond description.

and there was an Amsterdam beer at Zwanze that was completely broken. think it was a shitty keg because i heard it was amazing at BarHop a few weeks earlier

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I was thinking the same Amsterdam beer. That bad keg was lactese-falcon worthy.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

jakis

Post by jakis »

Had a Red Falcon Ale last weekend at the Mod Club. It was horrible.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

For me it was Burdock's Bloor Lite. I don't like to rag on local breweries, especially as TO is exponentially growing in options right now and I am supporting its growth wholeheartedly, but this drink was just vile. As if they took the familiarly named drink and made it worse as a parody.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

had the high park off the leash ipa at the toronto winter brewfest which was a watery copper-flavoured mess to me

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Skipping over some forced Molson Canadians and Mooseheads....

Phantom Limb from Bellwoods.
I didn't enjoy it the first time around....they changed it last year so I tried it again...it was still a poor tripel IMO.
Perhaps I need to buy a bottle and age it next time, but I'm pretty picky with any dubbel, tripel, quad offerings.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Quick look at Untappd tells me Covered Bridge Paddle Smash (truly awful) and basically everything from Square Timber.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

darmokandjalad wrote:Dishonourable mention to Trafalgar's Fresh Hop Harvest, but really, it's my own damn fault for continuing to give those guys a chance. Been a few years since my last popcorn butter bomb.
They still keep trying and even posting on here about awards and stuff.

Their original Hop Nouveau wasn't bad a few times I had it years back.
In Beerum Veritas

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

to me both 5 boroughs and shapeshifter from amsterdam were two of the worst beers that i had last year. both were nice when they were fresh, but when I came back to them a month or two later were infected messes. I'm really glad I didn't load up on either of them and will likely stay away from amsterdam's BA offerings for a while. fortunately, double tempest hasn't met the same fate.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

atomeyes wrote:i know he posts here, but honest feedback's better than lying
oh god oh god... phew.

Anyway!

For me it was a little beer called "The Wall" by Block 3. I've had some good beers from Block 3 (King Street Saison, for example) but The Wall should not have been released. "If Cheetos made a blue cheese flavour, it would taste like this. No sour, all the wrong funk. " Isovaleric/butyric acids. Just gross. The kind of thing that should never have been released. If you make a beer that bad either have the resolve and resources to either dump it or age it somehow (bottle it with brett and hope?). At some point the worst beer isn't about the most bland/uninspired/poorly executed but not tragically flawed beer (I did drink all those Trafalger beers!), but rather about the worst decision making about releasing a beer at all.

It has a 2.2 on untappd. That's crazy: https://untappd.com//b/block-three-brew ... all/955497

That's the worst I had last year.

MattS

Post by MattS »

groulxsome wrote:
atomeyes wrote:i know he posts here, but honest feedback's better than lying
oh god oh god... phew.

Anyway!

For me it was a little beer called "The Wall" by Block 3. I've had some good beers from Block 3 (King Street Saison, for example) but The Wall should not have been released. "If Cheetos made a blue cheese flavour, it would taste like this. No sour, all the wrong funk. " Isovaleric/butyric acids. Just gross. The kind of thing that should never have been released. If you make a beer that bad either have the resolve and resources to either dump it or age it somehow (bottle it with brett and hope?). At some point the worst beer isn't about the most bland/uninspired/poorly executed but not tragically flawed beer (I did drink all those Trafalger beers!), but rather about the worst decision making about releasing a beer at all.

It has a 2.2 on untappd. That's crazy: https://untappd.com//b/block-three-brew ... all/955497

That's the worst I had last year.
I had that one too - god it was terrible. According to my Untappd, I had it in 2014 as well, and quite liked it, so either they did something different or it was a very bad batch. Either way, should have been disposed of, like you say.

That's probably my biggest thing about all the one-offs at the minute - a good proportion feel like pilot batches that went wrong but the brewery(s) say "oh well, we'll sell it anyway - the tickers will buy anything".