Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Is this the original barn raiser? Wasn't it barn raiser pale ale before, or am I wrong?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Is this the original barn raiser? Wasn't it barn raiser pale ale before, or am I wrong?
When I first had it at the brewery it was described to me as a Belgian pale ale

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

S. St. Jeb wrote:According to this on Ontario Beverage Network

http://www.momandhops.ca/new-tall-cans- ... untry-ale/

"Plans for an LCBO release are also underway for later this year."
Don't get excited, it's a below average, bland, standard pale ale that almost every brewery in Ontario brews. Just grab Canuck or naughty neighbour and you'll be better off. Also, if the pricing is as shitty as the 750ml version, it should run you 5 bucks a can. I'm really interested to see if they price this in line with the rest of Ontario pales or continue their wine-country tourist fleecing.

Sorry for such a negative post, I just hate what this brewery represents.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

ckoop wrote:

Don't get excited, it's a below average, bland, standard pale ale that almost every brewery in Ontario brews. Just grab Canuck or naughty neighbour and you'll be better off. Also, if the pricing is as shitty as the 750ml version, it should run you 5 bucks a can. I'm really interested to see if they price this in line with the rest of Ontario pales or continue their wine-country tourist fleecing.

I've gotta agree with this. I have Barnraiser on tap at a bar I go to occasionally and while it's a better option then most of the other tap options it's still nothing special. This place has both Oast House Barnraiser and Brimstone's Enlightenment Blond and the Blond wins the taste battle hands down.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

ckoop wrote:

I'd agree with this also. First time I had it, I thought it was quite nice, but it may have had more to do with when and where I had it(escaping a pregnant nagging wife for 20 mins). The next(and only) two times I've had it since, I've found it rather crappy

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I'm with you two. LOL @ Oast House. :D

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Some strong hate for Oast House! I'm not one to seek out their beers, but Im happy to have the option to be fleeced by a brewery instead of a winery when I do have to head down to Niagara area....
:P

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

LCBO ‏@LCBO 20h20 hours ago
If you like your beers sour, slightly fizzy & Belgian, you'll enjoy this Lambic Ale coming out in the spring!

(picture of Lindemans Cuvee Renee)

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

I like beers sour, slightly fizzy & Belgian :)
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

is the cuvee rene any good? everything else i've had by them has been meh.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

:D It's terrible, avoid it at all cost.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

jeremyg wrote:is the cuvee rene any good? everything else i've had by them has been meh.
Very good and a great value for the price. It's just a straight up gueuze and isn't sweetened like the Lindeman's Framboise that we also see at the LCBO.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

jeremyg wrote:is the cuvee rene any good? everything else i've had by them has been meh.
honest impression?
it's definitely a second tier gueuze.
Cantillon, Tilquin and 3F are first tier. each one has individual characteristics that make them all winners.
i found that past LCR tastes really cat pissy. if you like funk over citrus, then you may dig it.
i also remember that it wasn't cheap.
but hey, beggars can't be choosers

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

CoolB wrote:I like beers sour, slightly fizzy & Belgian :)
I like being sour & slightly fizzy. It's my trademark.
In Beerum Veritas

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Belgian wrote:
CoolB wrote:I like beers sour, slightly fizzy & Belgian :)
I like being sour & slightly fizzy. It's my trademark.
Disturbing in so many ways. i just felt a shiver