Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

MattS wrote: I did some searching, and all I could find out is that there is a similarly named mixpack out in SK that is 4 IPA, 4 Honkers and 4 Endless IPA. As those are all here anyway (and brewed in Ontario), I'd guess that's what ours is too.
Makes sense to me.

EDIT: just grabbed some cans of the Endless and you're right - the mixed pack is 4 bottles each of the IPA, Honkers, and Endless.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I'll stick to Sofie and Matilda, thanks.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new

Woodhouse Lager
LCBO#: 459537 | 473 mL can
$2.95

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

GLUTENBERG BLONDE
LCBO 437665 | 473 mL can

Price: $ 2.75

Happened to see this today. I don't think it has been mentioned....probably not a lot of widespread interest. I think I've tried gluten-free beers only a couple times in the past. Didn't really care for them....but I suppose if I had an intolerance to gluten, I might give them a real try. Ingredient list in this includes millet, corn, and demerara sugar.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

By the way BeerBistro has a gluten-reduced Stone beer - the Delicious IPA! They brew a real beer and remove the gluten acterwardsm you basically can't tell.

I still recommend the Primanti sandwich, great as ever.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote:By the way BeerBistro has a gluten-reduced Stone beer - the Delicious IPA! They brew a real beer and remove the gluten acterwardsm you basically can't tell.
Thanks for the heads up. What was your verdict on the Delicious IPA?
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

cratez wrote:
Belgian wrote:By the way BeerBistro has a gluten-reduced Stone beer - the Delicious IPA! They brew a real beer and remove the gluten acterwardsm you basically can't tell.
Thanks for the heads up. What was your verdict on the Delicious IPA?
I had it bottle a while back, it was not undelicious. Closer to 'meh, okay' than 'delicious' on the spectrum of deliciousness.

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

yeah, I had a bottle of the delicious in NYC last year from a bodega and I found it forgettable. I had no idea it was it was gluten reduced and don't remember seeing any mention of it on the packaging (?!).
oh, and, I should add - the fact that I bought beer from a corner store that one time propelled me into a weeks long spiral of violence and general ne'er do wellness. thank god Ontario has saved us from such a thing.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I remember trying some gluten free beers from Snowman brewing some time ago....couldn't drink them. So I wasn't surprised when I saw on the OBN brewery listing that they had dissolved.....but now I see their twitter is alive again, so maybe gluten-free beer isn't as dead as I thought.

I am curious to try the Stone Delicious IPA now to see if I enjoy it more than other non/low gluten beers I've had.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Have a relative who is intolerant - some of the Glutenberg stuff isn't too bad.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Huh. The comments here don't seem to align with the RB reviews, which are very high. Also, from what I gather the Delicious isn't a "gluten-free" beer per se but rather a regular IPA that happens to be low gluten/gluten reduced. To my mind Stone releasing a new-ish IPA made with a rarely-used hop in Ontario's highly protected beer market is big news, but these comments don't exactly make me want to seek it out.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

cratez wrote:Huh. The comments here don't seem to align with the RB reviews, which are very high. Also, from what I gather the Delicious isn't a "gluten-free" beer per se but rather a regular IPA that happens to be low gluten/gluten reduced. To my mind Stone releasing a new-ish IPA made with a rarely-used hop in Ontario's highly protected beer market is big news, but these comments don't exactly make me want to seek it out.
I would take the reviews on here with a grain of salt.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I really enjoyed the stone delicious ipa. Tasted like a good west coast style ipa to me, would never know it was gluten reduced. I had a bottle not the draft version.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

DeMarco wrote:
cratez wrote:Huh. The comments here don't seem to align with the RB reviews, which are very high. Also, from what I gather the Delicious isn't a "gluten-free" beer per se but rather a regular IPA that happens to be low gluten/gluten reduced. To my mind Stone releasing a new-ish IPA made with a rarely-used hop in Ontario's highly protected beer market is big news, but these comments don't exactly make me want to seek it out.
I would take the reviews on here with a grain of salt.

I'd take the reviews here over RB. IMO, BA is a bit more accurate and more selective with high grades than RB.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I'm not completely knocking Delicious IPA, but if you're a hop lover, you find you paid the price of a Ruination and ended up with a Finestkind quality of beer. It's a setup for a meh rating.