Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At home:
Goose Island Endless IPA - more of a hopped-up blonde ale than an APA/Session IPA; crackery malt, light lemony-dry hop flavour, orangey-tangerine nose (once it warms). Decent enough, but I probably wouldn't buy this again.
Great Lakes Brewing Thrust! An IPA - always outstanding

At Bar Hop:
Amsterdam Starke Pilsner (draft) - best hop-forward lager in Ontario?
Bar Hop & Amsterdam Nautilus (draft) - above average stout with a very subtle smokiness
Rainhard Lazy Bones IPA (draft) - mild fruity-citric hop character with a juicy-oily mouthfeel and bone dry finish; not as bold/intense as I like my IPAs to be
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

At barhop last night
thrust --always a great IPA
rain hard Lazy Bones --agree with cratez , an ok iPad, I like mine a little more juicy I guess
Finished the night with an Aphrodite

Was bummed they were sold out of Tooth and Nail...anyone tried their imperial iPa?
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Collective Arts Ransack the Universe IPA - excellent
Grand River Russian Gun Imperial Stout

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Collective Arts State of Mind Session IPA

I recall a long time ago (a long, long, time ago) having some "light" cheese with my mom, and she made the comment that if you don't want regular cheese, perhaps it's better just to not have cheese at all. Sometimes I feel this way about "light" IPAs. This one was just a little thin.

Having said that, it has great flavour and aroma, and is really a fine beer. But unless there was a reason to have the lower alcohol, I'd probably prefer a full strength version like the Ransack the Universe I had last night.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

I've enjoyed most of the session ipas I've tried, but still honestly don't see the point in purchasing them regularly. They usually cost nearly the same as the brewery's equivalent regular strength offering despite being less flavourful.

if big imperial type beers can command premium prices, light beers should be sold at a relative discount. That would be the socially responsible way to do things. :wink:

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I drink the collective arts session ipa after I get back from playing hockey. Refreshing and not too heavy.. hits the spot for me.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

spinrsx wrote:I drink the collective arts session ipa after I get back from playing hockey. Refreshing and not too heavy.. hits the spot for me.
Can't argue with that. :)

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Amsterdam Farmhouse Series - Homegrown Saison - A nice smooth and very flavourful beer but as a saison it's missing some funk. It''s almost too smooth. Not to say that's a bad thing. I am enjoying this beer very much and will drink it again.

Left Field Eephus Oatmeal Brown Ale - Exactly as described. A good beer but I wasn't blown away by it.

Stone Hammer Oatmeal Coffee Stout - I enjoyed this one. Great coffee flavour. I would add this to my regular stouts.

Shillow Beer Co. Bitter Waitress Black IPA - Over done on the black licorice side for me. Didn't enjoy. Compared to Phillips Cabin Fever IPA it's not even close.

Unibroue La Fin Du Monde - Had this lots of times. I'm a huge fan of Belgian Triples and this one is one of my favorites however this one was a bit off. It was far more carbonated then normal and came off sort of like an Orval with the overwhelming size of the head and fizz.

Sawdust City Lone Pine IPA - Top Notch IPA. One of my favorites. Huge citrus and pine resins perfectly blended.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

What I can remember from the past couple weeks:

Flying monkeys matador- I really enjoyed this, nice spiciness from the rye and a unique cedar taste as well
F&m oTmeal coffe stout- nice coffee flavour and an all around very good stout. Probably the best beer I've had from F&M
Sawdust city old woody alt- a tasty beer, although not a style I've had a tonne of. Personally I prefer creemore and (surprisingly) beaus versions.
Sawdust city gateway kolsch-really quite bland and boring imo. Very forgettable and I'll never buy again
Goose island endless IPA-probably the worst goose island beer I've had. Bland,very little hop flavour, i wouldn't even call it a pale ale.
2014 st bernardus 12-excellent.....although I far prefer Rochefort 10
Lagunitas IPA-finished off the 6 pack I bought a few weeks ago. Likely won't buy again, as it's nothing special and there's better local options

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout

From Bayview Village LCBO. This tastes like a DMS bomb. It even overpowers the roast profile. Drainpour.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

AugustusRex wrote:St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout

From Bayview Village LCBO. This tastes like a DMS bomb. It even overpowers the roast profile. Drainpour.
Encountered the same problem with a six pack purchased at the Dundas St. Beer Store in Mississauga early this year. Pretty surprised to see the QC slip on this one as I've always considered it to be a reliable and consistent product.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

at hamilton's the ship, with an interesting ipa-braised onion, blue cheese, bacon, bbq sauce burger:
glb thrust. honestly the most ridiculous ipa in ontario. it is SO good

at the brux house:
left field maris - really enjoyed this. light hop profile with a clean malty finish
oast house eisbock - enjoyed this as well. not yeast-forward like the aventinus eisbock but has nice flavours of grape, brown sugar, and chocolate
glb solstice - bourbon bomb!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Drank a 2014 Brooklyn Ace last night, tasted a little like a saison dupont now that the hops have faded.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At a house party:
Miller Lite
Great Lakes Octopus Wants to Fight IPA

At Milos' Craft Beer Emporium and The Morrissey House:
Beer Lab Dark Sour (sample)
Granite Brewery Best Bitter (cask)
Clifford Porter (draft)
Amsterdam Starke Pils (draft)
Rainhard Armed N Citra (draft)
Black Oak Triple Chocolate Cherry Stout (draft)
Great Lakes THRUST! An IPA (draft)

Right now:
Coffee

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

cratez wrote:At a house party:
Miller Lite
Great Lakes Octopus Wants to Fight IPA
That's quite a range!