Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

GLB Apocalypse Later Imperial Black IPA

Probably the most unique of any black IPA I've had. Stronger on the "black" side than others I've had. Nice hop aroma and flavour.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

S. St. Jeb wrote: That's quite a range!
Yep. To my surprise, the Miller actually has a discernible pilsner-like taste that sets it apart from other macro light lagers IMO. It's nothing to write home about, and it certainly doesn't compare to a well-made craft lager, but it's fine to quaff at a party.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

S. St. Jeb wrote:GLB Apocalypse Later Imperial Black IPA

Probably the most unique of any black IPA I've had. Stronger on the "black" side than others I've had. Nice hop aroma and flavour.
yeah, I'm really enjoying the batch this year... thick, delicious and a bit hard to place what style it is exactly. it's hoppy for sure but extremely well balanced and unified whereas, I find, other hoppy blacks tend to have a certain detachment between the hops and the roast. let's just call it good.

having one of the fresher fat tugs right now: definitely different than the ones that were a couple months older. this one (bottled feb 24 I believe) has a much more sweet and floral nature to it. I might even say it has a somewhat vanilla character. It's good anyhow (as was the older one - a big ipa that "ages" well rather than turning into a stinky sock?!).

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Going back over the last week or so:

-- Rickard's Red Session Lager - I was expecting this to be diluted Rickard's Red, and it pretty much is. The hops actually do come through kinda, and it's not as sweet as regular Rickard's Red, which makes it more balanced/enjoyable to drink than its big brother IMO. Still boring but decent for a macro light beer.
-- Stone Hammer Oatmeal Coffee Stout - Pretty good. If this were a year-round offering it would be a reliable ON session stout.
-- Amsterdam Starke Pils - Excellent for a domestic pilsener, and light years better than their 416 Lager or blonde. Good alternative to King Pils
-- Beau's Wild Oats #25 - Koru - Good but not exactly a stand-out. Lots of tropical fruit flavour compared to your typical Belgian pale.
-- Goose Endless IPA - Kind of bland, but otherwise unobjectionable. I'd rather drink their regular IPA
-- Thornbridge Beadeca's Well - A solid smoked porter that doesn't go overboard (or undershoot) with the smoked malts
-- Grand River Enigma Black Lager - Drinkable, but completely forgettable.
-- Glutenberg Blonde - A little weird-tasting, but unlike most GF beers, I think I could voluntarily drink this again if I (heaven forbid) develop a valid reason to.
-- Royal City Earl Grey Porter - I really liked this one, but if you don't appreciate bergamot as much as me then YMMV.
-- Trooper 666 - Better than the regular Trooper, but only marginally so. Actually, they're really very similar beers. Sweet crown cap.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the last few nights at home:
GLB RoboHop Imperial IPA
GLB Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Solstice Stout

Living down the street from one of the best breweries in the province definitely does not suck.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Just had RoboHop last night as well and it was very good. reminded me of an even stronger headstock.

Speaking of Headstock I nearly jumped out of my shoes yesterday when I picked up a few cans at my LCBO with a bottled date of 03/15. Soooooo fresh and yummy.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

CoolB wrote:Just had RoboHop last night as well and it was very good. reminded me of an even stronger headstock.

Speaking of Headstock I nearly jumped out of my shoes yesterday when I picked up a few cans at my LCBO with a bottled date of 03/15. Soooooo fresh and yummy.
Nickel Brook are posting bottled on dates again?

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Winter is Coming wrote:
CoolB wrote:Just had RoboHop last night as well and it was very good. reminded me of an even stronger headstock.

As far as I know they have always been on the headstocks. Recently they were being printed lightly right on the black part of the can so they were hard to see but pretty sure they were always there.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

CoolB wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:

As far as I know they have always been on the headstocks. Recently they were being printed lightly right on the black part of the can so they were hard to see but pretty sure they were always there.
Good to know, I can't say that I recall seeing any printed on their cans since last summer. I'll keep my eye out.

gordonpeterwiebe

Post by gordonpeterwiebe »

Winter is Coming wrote:

yeah, the dates have always been there. smudgy black ink on a black label isn't the easiest thing to see (the glossy labels seem to be working a bit better)!
anyhow, it's worth checking out a few cans in the case to see if any are legible. headstock has been hit or miss depending on the batch for the last year... so, it's kind of fun/interesting comparing the bottling dates and going on the journey with them as they try and capture the old magic again.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Collective Arts Ransack the Universe IPA - excellent
Is it ever! There is some fresh stock in at my LCBO at Avenue & Lawrence, probably elsewhere too, date stamped March 2 2016. I realize I'm a bit late to the party, but highly recommended. And this from someone who has not been a fan of other CA offerings like Rhyme & Reason, State of Mind and Saint of Circumstance -- somehow they just did not do it for me. But this one is absolutely bursting with luscious tropical hops and has a lovely balance with some sweet malts. To my taste, anyway. Top drawer stuff from Collective Arts.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

^^ thanks for the heads up on the fresh Ransack.

Right now, drinking an Immodest that was canned yesterday... damn it's drinking amazingly well

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Found a founders centennial in the back of the fridge from last year from the lcbo. Still pretty drinking pretty decent actually. We were lucky to have this gem at the lcbo. RIP

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At beerbistro:
Stone Delicious IPA (draft)
BraufactuM Root (sample)
Shillow Bitter Waitress Black IPA (draft)
Belgh Brasse Mons Abbey Dubbel (draft)

At home:
Tree Captivator Doppelbock
GLB Octopus Wants To Fight IPA

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

New stuff over the past half-week:

--Block Three Beauty and the Belgian - A "Belgian amber ale" at 6.3%. Not bad, but two-dimensional. Date, plum and some caramelized sugar sweetness.
--Cameron's Dry-Hopped Tripel - I enjoyed this one, but I would have called it a Belgian IPA rather than a tripel.
--Royal City Berliner-Weiss - OK. Clean flavour and only mildly acidic. Good "beginner's sour".
--Nickel Brook Winey Bastard - Pleasant tartness; lots of red grape skin and oak tannin. The roasted malts are overwhelmed. Very good, but I think I prefer Bolshevik and Kentucky over this one.
--Reynard the Fox (Descendants) - Golden rye ale. Not interesting, but quite sessionable. Sort of a gateway craft beer.

And some repeats:
--Nickel Brook Maple Porter - The tallboy can format change is a welcome one. I don't mind this but it's not one of NB's more memorable products.
--Harp Premium Lager - The blonde lager is slightly better IMO.
--Kilkenny Irish Cream - As bland as ever
--Guinness Draught - See above
--Highlander Blacksmith Smoked Porter - Been a few years. Still their best beer IMO.
--Steamworks Kolsch Lagered Ale - Crisp, clean, refreshing
--Jever Pilsener - This one is really growing on me. Great value.
--Refined Fool Murder of Crows - Black IPA at 9%. Heavy on the roasted malts with a piney, bitter kick. One of their better rotating offerings.